• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best of these famous quicks who took under 100 test wickets?

vote for the best 2 of this lot

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All highly rated, all statistically impressive(except for the bloke who had to bowl to Bradman) but all had very, very brief careers in tests.

Apologies if I missed an obvious name

Last edited:

mr_mister

just reaslied I forgot Sylvester Clarke. fail thread, mods allow users to delete threads

mr_mister

For some reason I thought Fanie took over 100. And I know a little bit about Schultz but didnt know he was held in as high regard as the rest mentioned

SeamUp

International Coach
For some reason I thought Fanie took over 100. And I know a little bit about Schultz but didnt know he was held in as high regard as the rest mentioned
It depends what high regard is ?

Schultz could have been anything he wanted to be if it weren't for injuries. Left-armer at that pace and that good are rare.

Another for me would be Patrick Patterson.

fredfertang

just reaslied I forgot Sylvester Clarke. fail thread, mods allow users to delete threads
I have heard it suggested (quite wrongly, obviously) that there is a poster on this forum who talks Sylvers up way too far, but you can be forgiven for overlooking him

Went for Lol, obviously, and Cowie who has a hugely impressive record even though he only got to play three Tests in his prime, and never got to bowl against New Zealand

SeamUp

International Coach
I have heard it suggested (quite wrongly, obviously) that there is a poster on this forum who talks Sylvers up way too far, but you can be forgiven for overlooking him

Went for Lol, obviously, and Cowie who has a hugely impressive record even though he only got to play three Tests in his prime, and never got to bowl against New Zealand
Many good years with the Mean Machine where everybody who played with and against him, just knows how good he was .... and frightening :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Bondy was awesome to watch in his pomp (how ever short that was). That hoop was ***y at times.

Now imagine bowling around the wicket and bowling in-swing to the right-hander like Procter did. It makes you wonder why more haven't done it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Did Ian Bishop take 100 test wickets?

And then there's the guys from ages ago, who probably didn't play enough matches.
Spofforth of course. And who were the buys opening for Australia in the early 1920s?

SeamUp

International Coach
The highly regarded is the tough one but Stuart Clark is another.

He made us pay on sporty pitches in SA.

Just something odd that I came across but Bruce Reid, Michael Kasprowicz and Ryan Harris all ended up on 113 test wickets.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

And then there's the guys from ages ago, who probably didn't play enough matches.
Spofforth of course. And who were the buys opening for Australia in the early 1920s?
161, so quite a bit over 100 wickets.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I would’ve voted for Clark. He struggled a bit towards the end when his pace dropped and on pitches not pace friendly, but overall he was an exceptional Test bowler.

His win/loss/draw record in Tests is pretty remarkable: The first 13 Tests he played in were wins and overall played in 18 wins, 4 draws and 2 losses (one of those losses being in his final Test).

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain

Jack Gregory (85 wickets) and Ted McDonald (43).
Spofforth just qualified with 94 wickets. From slightly later there was Tom Richardson (88 wickets in just 14 Tests).

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Though he took a little over 100 wickets, Ryan Harris deserves to be in the list. Potential ATG bowler destroyed by injuries. Was awesome to watch along with Shane Bond. I haven't watched the others, so do not have much idea.

Edit: Fanie De Villiers too. Liked him in my childhood, part of the reason being I was fond of his name for some reason.

Last edited: