• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Binkley

U19 Captain
Wut? The Black Caps website is now saying that Wellington declared at 168/7 and the match is now finished?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
lol what’s going on ... is this the biggest Plunket Shield scandal since Robert Vance’s 77 run over?!

Or did they push the wrong button on the website when they went to tea ...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Woodcock unlucky, appeared to miss that.
Yeah and it looks to me like Blundell might've just about made his ground with that run-out. Still, some days things go for you some days they don't.

Seriously though, wtf is going on in that game? I mean, there's no way Welly will win from here, but declaring? Surely that has to be a website error.

Athlai

Not Terrible
After an inspirational speech from Lance Armstrong, the Direbirds have heroically decided to take the field.

vandem

International 12th Man
And done. Disppointing for the Wgtn seamers and Jeets who have bowled well, but not many champion teams have a middle order which averages 24, 19 and 19.

The Hutt Rec

Well done to CD, they definitely deserve it ahead of Wellington.

Wonder if that’s the last we’ll see of Papps ... if so I’m sad he didn’t go out with a title, he carried the batting for most of the year. Big changes to that top order next season, I hope.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to CD. One of the better bowling attacks in the country. Certainly the best batting lineup in the country - see their dominance of top batting averages for the season and that, prior to this round, they had 7 of the mere 11 batsmen averaging over 40 for the season.

Next step, they need to provide a few more NZ players - currently they're benefiting from quite a few not-quite-NZ-players.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Or ...

shall we look back in a fortnight and say that the delayed declaration due to Conway's innings gave CD enough time to escape with a draw and lost them {Wellington] the shield, after CD win their last two games and Wellington stumble?
Yup.

Flem274*

123/5
Congrats to CD. One of the better bowling attacks in the country.
yeah well i see they let devcich biff a 76 ball ton so i'm filing that away in the 'reasons ferguson is miles better for tests than milne/tickner if we want pace' memory bank. like seriously guys come on, you're way better than that hack. same goes for the ND batsmen he outscored too.

at least milne got through 34 overs in that innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yeah well i see they let devcich biff a 76 ball ton so i'm filing that away in the 'reasons ferguson is miles better for tests than milne/tickner if we want pace' memory bank. like seriously guys come on, you're way better than that hack. same goes for the ND batsmen he outscored too.

Have we had any indication of how quick Milne is bowling this season? He was bowling at Boult pace back in India, if not a little slower.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wellington have completely botched it by:

a) delaying a declaration until Conway got his 14th FC century, so leaving CD an impossible target of 372 from 57 overs, then not getting the last two CD wickets last round
b) selecting an awful side for this round
In hindsight I'm sure they wish they had kept Nofal in the side. It's quite stark that Papps and Woodcock feature in the top run scorers list, but the others don't.

An outstanding season by the Wellington bowlers, Van Beek and McPeake really stepping up. While Patel started picking up bags of wickets like he has been in county cricket.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
I really hope for Wellingtons future, Patel, Woodcock and Papps all throw their hats in after this. They have all been fantastic for Wellington including this season, but the Birds need to move on to promote talent.. Ravindra, Johnston, Bhula, and probably a lot more who I don't know need chances.

I bet you that if they do retire, they'll recruit a bloody Brad Wilson/Cachopa to plug a hole :mellow:

Immenso

Surprise of the season for me was Van Beek. He did look seriously good. A real breakout year.

I went and had a look at his season by season stats in the archive and he had actually been solid for a few years,

He looked the complete package. Swing both ways, hitting the seam, good pace.

There were some green wickets at the Basin though. However, Impressive spell at EPOO in the last round to shake that game up.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yeah watching van beek live at a T20 earlier in the year he was by far the quickest bowler on show. Hitting the splice constantly, no one managed to play a pull shot off him. Interested to see if he'd crack 140.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Milne got through a lot of overs this season, probably his most ever. Great news! ...except that he averaged 35 in a season that was great for seam bowling. CD's bowling was built on Rance and Ajaz Patel, with Bracewell and Tickner also quite effective and Milne bringing up the rear. Disappointing really.

Don't think anyone would argue that Ferguson isn't already miles ahead of Milne/Tickner as a test option.