• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Anyone can bowl that slogger Tryon, that's alright.

Ian Smith's son played the big innings to anchor the chase for Hawke's Bay, finished 102*.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Basil Thampi deceiving and destroying I see, making the whole Seifert vs. Blundell thing seem fairly moot.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

It's almost like Wellington may actually play Ravindra quite a lot, after his Year 13 exams are out of the way and after the U19 WC. A refreshing new leaf being turned over by the Firebirds.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain

Here you go mate, the video you were after. Couldn't find time enough to get all of his action during the tourney but I suppose this is all right? Pretty decent all rounder I'd say, the bowling looks great. Good action and loading.

BTW how can I make the above not show a link but show as a video?

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Making it http rather than https sometimes helps, then you just bookend that YouTube link with (video) and (/video), except with the squarer kind of brackets, [.

nzfan

It's almost like Wellington may actually play Ravindra quite a lot, after his Year 13 exams are out of the way and after the U19 WC. A refreshing new leaf being turned over by the Firebirds.
It sure is refreshing, I hope they do and not let him off in the wilderness of club cricket for years like they have done with others. If they are serious they should give the youngsters a good run and not stuff them around. Rumors are other zones are bloody keen on him. If they let him go it'll be a huge loss.

Are there any Wellington players in the Black caps tour of India, I guess not :-(

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Here you go mate, the video you were after. Couldn't find time enough to get all of his action during the tourney but I suppose this is all right? Pretty decent all rounder I'd say, the bowling looks great. Good action and loading.
Haha damn, we missed out on Jordie Barrett the big levers lower-order bat, too (1:33 in). Like a highly coordinated Morne Morkel, who I think was his cricket hero if I remember rightly.

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
NZ A Tour

The Stats from the A Tour to India make grim reading. Light on top/middle order batting save for those centrally contracted players.

First Class

Cricket Records | Records | / | New Zealand A in India unofficial Test Series, 2017/18 - New Zealand A | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

List A

Cricket Records | Records | / | New Zealand A in India unofficial ODI Series, 2017/18 - New Zealand A | Batting and bowling averages | ESPN Cricinfo

Tour used by selectors as an offshore WK clinic - took 3 Keepers - when Blackcaps selection of backup Keeper to Latham was ultimately based on batting .

Athlai

Not Terrible

of course, Wellington would be more than happy to develop a young talent for a season before he moves to ND for a few seasons. He'd then inevitably get picked by the Black Caps and never play domestic cricket again.

Wellington like the other regions, is happy to do their part in this glorious system we have.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Could be Ravindra and Devon Conway providing free treats for people walking through the Basin Reserve during Shield games. Would make a change from Woodcock, Papps and Murdoch.

VUWCC Official Blog

O’Malley put on 121 for the 2nd wicket with D. Conway to whom the main plaudits must be given as he methodically got his eye in an proceeded to take apart the opposition in a text-book display of one-day batting. It wasn’t the big shots – although there were a healthy number – but the manipulation of the field that brought knowing nods and impressed sighs from both teams as the class of the man shone through. Conway was eventually dismissed in the 36th over for 105 (87 balls) to an ovation from all present.

SeamUp

International Coach
Could be Ravindra and Devon Conway providing free treats for people walking through the Basin Reserve during Shield games. Would make a change from Woodcock, Papps and Murdoch.

VUWCC Official Blog
Oh man I hope I get to see this at a high level.

So much expected so little materialised. But maybe given the confidence in New Zealand we will see what some people dubbed as special.

An ovation eh.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to know whether Cricket Wellington will make him jump through every single hoop they made Nofal jump through, and attempted to get Obus Pienaar jumping through. Conway being clearly more of a former golden boy rather than just a good solid asset.

I suppose they will, but it'd be exceedingly tempting to ambush Auckland with him as the one import allowed next week, seeing he's in town just sitting here.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Top South African cricketer Devon Conway hopes to catch Black Caps selectors' eyes

Seven months ago, Devon Conway stood in the middle of The Wanderers in Johannesburg raising his bat for his maiden first-class double century.

On Saturday the 26-year-old South African will take guard for University in more modest surrounds of Lower Hutt's Te Whiti Park in the first steps of what he hopes is a long path towards international cricket. With the Black Caps, no less.

Conway arrived in Wellington with his partner about six weeks ago and won't make any grandiose statements about his ambitions or reasons for leaving. But the left-hander and part-time wicketkeeper clearly can play, evidenced by a first-class average of 42.30 from 86 matches - notably a farewell knock of 205 not out for Gauteng against Border in March. In 52 list-A (50-over) matches his average is even better: 43.65.

In 86 first-class matches in South Africa, Devin Conway averaged 42 with the bat, and in 50-over cricket it's nearly 44.

"It's more just come and see what it's like in New Zealand. I've got some friends who play cricket here and they seem to enjoy it and like the lifestyle here. I thought just give it a go, take small steps and see what happens," said Conway.

"I want to give this a good crack and if all goes well I do want to play international cricket. Not to say I don't want to ever play again in South Africa, but if the opportunity arises in New Zealand I'm going to try and take it with both hands."

It's the path followed by Grant Elliott and more recently Neil Wagner, and requires patience with a four-year residency requirement and written commitment to switch allegiance before a black cap can be his. Conway is looking forward to meeting and chatting with Elliott. Another 26-year-old former Gauteng player, batsman Malcolm Nofal, is further down the track and now a Wellington Firebirds contracted player.

A left-handed top-order batsman and part-time wicketkeeper, Devon Conway wants to chase higher honours. "If the opportunity arises in New Zealand I’m going to try and take it with both hands."

The sensitive issue of the racial quota system in South African sport is never far away when their cricketers flood offshore to greener pastures. First-class teams are now required to have six black or coloured players in their XI. A few, notably Kevin Pietersen, bemoaned the lack of opportunity which prompted a move to England, but if Conway had any frustration he kept it well hidden.

Conway's Gauteng chief executive asked him to reconsider when they spoke but he insisted his mind was made up. They parted on good terms, Conway said.

He emailed Cricket Wellington's former high performance director Robbie Kerr who pointed him University's way. He made a quick impact and new team-mates spoke in awestruck tones about his batsmanship and control in pre-season matches.

Firebirds coach Bruce Edgar summoned Conway to their inter-squad game this week but there's been minimal discussion between them. He could be picked for the Firebirds as their one overseas player but it's clear he won't be rushed in.

"My mindset is to do well at club level and Vic Uni have given me a great opportunity and looked after me. Anything higher up will take care of itself."

Conway is working on his wicketkeeping again, having kept for a season for Somerset's second XI in England. He handed in the gloves when Quinton de Kock was one of his rivals in Johannesburg.

He also counts Springboks first five-eighth Elton Jantjies as one of his best mates.

"We grew up playing cricket together at Gauteng under-19s. He used to be our No 6 and just used to try and bully it, just smash it out of the park. He was a lot stronger than all of us. No real technique, just see ball and hit it as far as he can."

Another intriguing arrival on the Wellington club scene is Glamorgan offspinner Andy Salter who links up with Johnsonville. Salter arrives as part of the England and Wales Cricket Board's overseas placement programme - which previously delivered a quality player like Scott Borthwick - and will train with Jeetan Patel and the Firebirds.

Matt Bell is a notable name in North City's lineup and the former Black Caps opener will turn out when White Ferns coaching commitments allow.

After last Saturday's postponement due to waterlogged outfields, the season looks finally set to get under way with 50-over matches on artificial pitches.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Okay yes, a career that would get tarred with an asterisk by the South African average watchdogs. Not sure if it was the extra pace and short balls that didn't agree with him at the higher level, because we're seen him pounding Abbott to the fence with the pull shot.

He is one of those little pocket rockets who employs a low front elbow and a diagonal bat. Possibly too eager to try to lay into them with a hard and punchy bottom hand, nicks off.

Last edited:

nzfan

Okay yes, a career that would get tarred with an asterisk by the South African average watchdogs. Not sure if it was the extra pace and short balls that didn't agree with him at the higher level, because we're seen him pounding Abbott to the fence with the pull shot.

He is one of those little pocket rockets who employs a low front elbow and a diagonal bat. Possibly too eager to try to lay into them with a hard and punchy bottom hand, nicks off.
You're right, the South Africa first class records has to be taken with a pinch of salt. Lions and Dolphins are the only first class side above. The Gauteng or Kwazulu is like Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt, Wairapa I'm told. Those that average over 50 in proper first class sides in South Africa will not be coming to NZ but will head to UK we know that. He has no 100s for proper domestic sides. Saw the dominion post and there's an article about him already.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
the **** aussie and saffa country jumpers have always been found out very quickly. only wagner, elliott, ronchi and van wyk got to international cricket and the former two have been very good players for nz for a number of years. ronchi and van wyk never quite fired for nz but were excellent for domestic sides.

cameron merchant, stewart rhodes etc never got going and slunk back home. im confident our domestic system is still solid enough to give us an indication on whether conway has promise or not. if he's good enough then he's more than welcome to play. of course NZC would love to ruin the Plunket Shield as much as they can so god knows what will happen to the standard of domestic cricket in the next two years.

i feel about as inspired to support nz as i did during the captaincy saga tbh, but for different reasons. it sounds a lot like we're just giving up at test cricket.

nzfan

the **** aussie and saffa country jumpers have always been found out very quickly. only wagner, elliott, ronchi and van wyk got to international cricket and the former two have been very good players for nz for a number of years. ronchi and van wyk never quite fired for nz but were excellent for domestic sides.

cameron merchant, stewart rhodes etc never got going and slunk back home. im confident our domestic system is still solid enough to give us an indication on whether conway has promise or not. if he's good enough then he's more than welcome to play. of course NZC would love to ruin the Plunket Shield as much as they can so god knows what will happen to the standard of domestic cricket in the next two years.

i feel about as inspired to support nz as i did during the captaincy saga tbh, but for different reasons. it sounds a lot like we're just giving up at test cricket.
Good point, our domestic is still quite strong and will sort out the cream of the crop. That said some of these overseas players can get into the domestic sides quicker given their stats overseas although their skills are only comparable to local players on the fringes. No worries if they have a chance to go all the way but if they don't and make it just to the domestic sides when they're touching 30 while the local players with similar skills can't break in due to young age and inexperience at that level can be counter productive. It is up to the domestic set up to work out and push for players even if they are younger if they have a chance to make it to the black caps. If there is a gun player by all means they should be given a chance but we don't get extra ordinary players from overseas generally. They are only slightly a notch above if not on par with the local players. Still we should encourage players no matter where they are from if they can contribute to NZ cricket and make it more competitive.