• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Boult and Southee couldn't dismiss Martin Guptill with the new ball. Sorry guys, I guess you're no longer test class :happy:.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf to ND, fielding a side with five bowlers, two spin-bowling allrounders and four batsmen was probably not the best idea.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Is milne worth a try in the test side ? Would have to be as part of 4 seam attack as you couldnt rely on him not breaking down. But it would mean c d g missing out and watling 6 santer 7. Looks so much more balanced with colin in. But then you would have to leave wagner out .
Time is starting to run out for Adam.

vandem

International 12th Man
Is milne worth a try in the test side ? Would have to be as part of 4 seam attack as you couldnt rely on him not breaking down. But it would mean c d g missing out and watling 6 santer 7. Looks so much more balanced with colin in. But then you would have to leave wagner out .
Yes, is a valid option for BJ to bat #6 and Santner #7, leaves a spot for bowling all-rounder at #8, they don't need to bowl their 25% share of overs so could be shock quick or a spinner for 3rd / 4th innings impact - so Milne / Kuggs / Astle.

But won't happen while de Grandhomme is making a useful contribution in most of his test matches, and needs Santner to make a few more runs. Also won't happen if BJ is injured and there is a new keeper, too much to ask for Blundell / Siefert to bat #6.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Milne bowling 15 overs a day at 150km/h, taking wickets and batting 8 is what I'd hoped we'd get to over the last few years. But it's not happening. Aside from injuries, the other problem is that he just does not take enough wickets - isn't currently, hasn't in limited overs and never has in FC either. I keep hoping he'll click and start to blow batsmen away but he hasn't. I know he just took a 5-fer, but Otago were looking for quick runs and only the Broom lbw could be considered a win for the bowler.

I don't know that time is running out for him, provided he stays fit, but he's liable to be overtaken by Ferguson in both formats if he doesn't start to take more wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think Seifert is the most likely reserve wicketkeeper, having scored NZ A four-day runs recently in India.
Thought this was just theoretical but:
With test incumbent BJ Watling still not keeping wicket for Northern Districts, and looking increasingly doubtful with a hip injury, Blundell's reminder was at the right time in the right place.
Watling's main fitness test happens next Friday and if he can't keep for ND against Otago, it's difficult to see Blundell pipped for the wicketkeeper's berth against West Indies on December 1.
Tom Blundell ready and able for test debut on home ground after matching Basin record

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If Milne was playing it would be in place of Southee. Wagner is our best test bowler since Shane Bond.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Id have said Boult is the best since Bond.
Boult has a slightly better average, but Wagner has more wickets per match (over 4), better strike rate and is less dependent on the overhead conditions and new ball. Also Wagner would be a strong contender for a world test XI, while Boult wouldn't be.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is that Travis Muller in the top one ?

3 Saffers in the 2nd one. Nofal, Price & Conway. Interesting to see how much door knocking Conway will have to do. Wellington are doing fairly well though as a surprise.

Anything on your U19 squad for the WC ?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it is -
Muller leaves his girlfriend at home to chase Black Caps dream

NZC have got the First XI Cup (December 4-8) and the provincial U19 tournament (December 4-12) overlapping each other, which obviously seems pretty bizarre, but I guess it has something to do with getting the final NZ U19 squad named before a deadline.

I believe they split a wider training squad into these two teams and had a couple of games, last month -
https://scoring.nzc.nz/livescoring/match4493/scorecard.aspx
https://scoring.nzc.nz/livescoring/match4494/scorecard.aspx

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Yep, once again, a feature of just about every NZ domestic cricket scorecard that comes across my desk these days. There'll be a Lana Wagner or Faith Goldy earnestly trying to be the stunner, making the scores of our cultural Marxist locals look a bit dowdy.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Haha, he gets demoted to No. 8 for the afternoon game. That's just the 'chup in, don't dominate' way we do things, Willem. Nothing personal.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Boult has a slightly better average, but Wagner has more wickets per match (over 4), better strike rate and is less dependent on the overhead conditions and new ball. Also Wagner would be a strong contender for a world test XI, while Boult wouldn't be.
Thought I'd have a look at the stats over the last couple years.

On the face of it it's not even close:

Wagner: 72 wickets at 24.41; SR 48.9
Boult: 80 wickets at 30.63; SR 59.2
Southee: 68 wickets at 33.45; SR 63.3
Henry: 22 wickets at 48.5; SR 88.4

That's not surprising, but what I found interesting is that despite everybody clamouring for Southee's axing and praising Boult's genius, the difference between the two of them is pretty moderate. Looking at the stats in a bit more detail though, the reasons do become apparent. Firstly, Southee has been by far the most inconsistent of the three bowlers. Looking at their records against individual countries, Wagner and Boult's standard deviation from their overall average is about 7 runs. Boult only averages 40+ against 1 country (Australia, whom he played against during a period when he was recovering from a stress fracture). Wagner doesn't average 40+ against anybody. Southee's standard deviation from his overall average is 17 runs, and he averages 40+ against Australia (9 wickets at 62.77), England (8 wickets at 49) and South Africa (8 wickets at 44.37).

That's the other area where Southee's record falls down a bit. His record against the big 4 opponents (Aus, SA, Ind and Eng) is poor. He's taken just 37% of his wickets against these teams, despite playing 55% of his matches against them, and his average against them rises from 33 to 52.48. By comparison, Wagner's taken 46% of his wickets against the big 4, at an excellent average of 27.21, while Boult has taken a monumental 64% of his wickets against the big 4, at a good average of 33.63. That's the one thing statistically that makes it hard for me to say that Wagner is our best - Boult's sheer wicket taking consistency against top opposition sides, even when hampered by injury. Boult also genuinely outbowled Wagner in India, which should put paid to the idea that Boult is condition reliant for his wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, Southee has been by far the most inconsistent of the three bowlers. Looking at their records against individual countries, Wagner and Boult's standard deviation from their overall average is about 7 runs. Boult only averages 40+ against 1 country (Australia, whom he played against during a period when he was recovering from a stress fracture).
Yeah Boult has to be given half a leave pass for bowling poorly (and it was poor) around that Australia series when he was injured or coming back from injury, while he was excellent before and seems back to his best now. He's number 1, Wagner has a different role and is number 2, while Southee has been bowling ok in the more recent test matches. His lack of wickets against top opposition is a killer though. No way I'd drop him right now, though if any domestic new ball bowler pushes really hard for a spot in the side, it's Southee who should be under the most threat.

ODIs are a different story - both he and Milne's spots are justified on them conceding a slightly lower run rate than other bowlers might, while taking few wickets at an average in the mid 40s. Don't think we can continue with both providing that - we need more wicket-taking imo.