• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn -Greatest of All Time

Where does Dale Steyn rank as a pace bowler?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins seems clearly the most likely from the current crop to get to Steyn level in terms of overall career. Has the least conditions dependant style of bowling, doesn't have an action that makes you fear his entire arm could go flying towards the batsman instead of just the ball, and is just absurdly consistent. Never seems to bowl bad spells.

England First

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah as much as the current output of the current set of great bowlers is exceptional and worthy of being compared to any in history, in terms of overall career none of them are remotely close to Steyn.
Steyn has the record to be able to say he’s GOAT doesn’t he. Allan Donald’s record is also unbelievable and over looked.

best all round stats for quicks in no order

Steyn
Marshall
Mcgrath
Hadlee
Donald
Pollock
Imran

7 stand outs. Others like Ambrose wasim waqar Anderson Lillee have few holes in there resume. That doesn’t mean they weren’t as good. It just means statistically they weren’t as good.

Spark

Global Moderator
Steyn has the record to be able to say he’s GOAT doesn’t he. Allan Donald’s record is also unbelievable and over looked.

Steyn
Marshall
Mcgrath
Hadlee
Donald
Pollock
Imran

7 stand outs. Others like Ambrose wasim waqar Anderson Lillee have few holes in there resume. That doesn’t mean they weren’t as good. It just means statistically they weren’t as good.
I still struggle to put him over McGrath personally. But I don't begrudge anyone who makes that choice, and honestly it's something I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about. They're definitely in that very very top tier; the differences between them are less interesting to me than that fact in itself.

flibbertyjibber

Steyn for me is the best SA quick but I'd still have him below Marshall, McGrath and Hadlee, possibly even Imran too. Not that he isn't a great bowler but I rate the others slightly more. Best pace bowler of the last 10-15 years easily and was a joy to watch. Be fun seeing in 5 years time how we rate Cummins and Rabada against him.

Gob

International Coach
Cummins seems clearly the most likely from the current crop to get to Steyn level in terms of overall career. Has the least conditions dependant style of bowling, doesn't have an action that makes you fear his entire arm could go flying towards the batsman instead of just the ball, and is just absurdly consistent. Never seems to bowl bad spells.
Thing with Cummo is that he doesn't do 'okay you bois sit back imma run through this ****s to get a day off tommo' as often as Dale

Other than that *** is prob equal to Dale in most regards and even more consistent at times. In fact IIRC from all the great bowlers I've seen, Steyn seems to bowl the most average type spells. But ofcourse he makes up to that by bowling one of those earth shattering spells more often than anyone else

Hey this gave me an idea..wait you guys

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
My top picks are

MM
McGrath
Hadlee
Curtly
Steyn
Imran
Lillee
Trueman
Donald
Wasim

Burgey

Thing with Cummo is that he doesn't do 'okay you bois sit back imma run through this ****s to get a day off tommo' as often as Dale
He bowls first change a fair bit for this to happen too often tbh

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

Steyn
Marshall
Mcgrath
Hadlee
Donald
Pollock
Imran

I would rate Ambrose, Akram and Lillee over Pollock or even Waqar. The rest i agree with.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Right on the border between top 5 and top 10 for me.

I definitely have McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Ambrose ahead of him. My next little tier would be Imran, Steyn and Davidson and I'm not really sure which order I'd have them in - probably that exact order if absolutely pushed right now so he'd be 6th.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

I definitely have McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Ambrose ahead of him. My next little tier would be Imran, Steyn and Davidson and I'm not really sure which order I'd have them in - probably that exact order if absolutely pushed right now so he'd be 6th.
He's better than Mcgrath and Ambrose. He career coincided with the most batting friendly era since WW2 and still he was head and shoulders above his contempories. If Ambrose and Mcgrath bowled in Steyn's era their average would be worse than him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's better than Mcgrath and Ambrose. He career coincided with the most batting friendly era since WW2 and still he was head and shoulders above his contempories. If Ambrose and Mcgrath bowled in Steyn's era their average would be worse than him.
Quite possibly true, but not if they got to play half their games in South Africa. If you subbed Steyn out with McGrath or Ambrose in all the games Steyn actually played I'm confident they'd average less.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Quite possibly true, but not if they got to play half their games in South Africa. If you subbed Steyn out with McGrath or Ambrose in all the games Steyn actually played I'm confident they'd average less.
Yeah, the harder/easier era argument doesn’t really apply as much to guys like Steyn and Kallis.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
D
Doubt it. They don't have the pace or skiddines to actually utilize the SA condition. And the argument that Steyn being a HTB is stupid because he averaged lower in India. Mcgrath and Ambrose averaged more in SA than their home countries or career averages.

Steyn was a better and way more complete bowler than Mcgrath.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

The only guy I could see joining those 4 in that top tier might be Wasim as a wild card, hard to compare him with so many confounding factors.