• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn -Greatest of All Time

Where does Dale Steyn rank as a pace bowler?

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was shocked he only presented Trueman but after much thought I see where he's coming from

Barnes, Larwood, Bedser, Statham and Tyson must all close though.

though I get 2 were more medium pace (Barnes and Bedser), Larwood was a one series wonder, Tysons career was brief and Statham lived in Trueman's shadow

Last edited:

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
The thing about Steyn is that he has stats as good as the best past greats, whilst bowling in a era with fewer ATG bowlers and with higher batting averages.

kingkallis

International Coach
Philander managed to outbowl him a couple of times in that period though (NZ tour, England tour).
Didnt MacGill outbowl Warne couple of times? I am saying this by memory only though.

So does that mean Macgill was better than Warne?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didnt MacGill outbowl Warne couple of times? I am saying this by memory only though.

Never suggested that... OS was saying that the pitches were flat and all the bowlers struggled.

Top_Cat

At peak, right up there with the best, you'd pick him in any team. Fast, hostile, swings it and does it all day. At their level, there are no clear points of difference, Marshall, McG, Hadlee, etc. exist in this miasma of great bowling. Even if his record isn't as broadly excellent as Marshall, he's just as good for mine.

TheJediBrah

IIRC MacGill outbowled Warne almost every time they played together

He would have ended up with 500-600 wickets for sure if not for Warne

stephen

He wasn't as good as Warne though. He got very unlucky to have his career coincide with Warne's career.

Daemon

Yep. It's slightly similar to how people will look back at O'Keefe's career and think how if not for Lyon, he could have been the one to achieve an equally long and mediocre career.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
A few years ago, cricketweb voted the best fast bowlers of all time. This is the results:

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...owler-survival-grand-final-2.html#post2237033

This list pretty much lines up with the list I posted earlier. I was possibly a little harsh on a couple of English bowlers but they're English and this is an ashes year :p.
I think that ignoring the 2nd half of Steyns career is a little unfair. Yes I can see him ranked 30 then... but I think he did enough to at least make the top ten since.

stephen

I think that ignoring the 2nd half of Steyns career is a little unfair. Yes I can see him ranked 30 then... but I think he did enough to at least make the top ten since.
I thoroughly agree. The only other changes to that list of expect are the addition of Philander (in the middle), Harris (near the bottom) and Rabada (near the bottom but climbing). Maybe Starc or Haze aren't far away either.

Daemon

Anderson as well. Interesting that Reid and Gillespie are rated so highly, especially the former since he didn't really play a lot.

stephen

Reid was about 3/4 of a career away from being ranked up there with McGrath.

Anderson would probably be pushing the 40s I'd say.

Slifer

International Captain
Just think about this for a second, had Bruce Reid not been injured mid 90s Australia's 90s attack could've been even more potent and arguably the GOAT:

Mcgrath
Reid
Gillespie
Warne

stephen

And if McDermott wasn't forced to retire through injury.

McGrath
McDermott
Reid
Warne

No side in world cricket would want to face that.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Isnt this the Dale Steyn thread........you ****s have got enough threads going to pull each other over.

OverratedSanity

ryan harris was robbed by his knees
He was robbed by not being good enough till he was 30 tbh. Terrific bowler but I don't agree that he belongs with the likes of Bond/Reid/Asif group of 'could've been atg if not for injuries/stupidity'. He was rubbish for most of his career and suddenly became world class but by then he was already old. He wouldn't be as highly regarded if he'd been playing tests and been rubbish for 10 years instead of not being good enough to even make the team, which protected his stats.