Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Where does Dale Steyn rank as a pace bowler?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOAT

1 2.86%
  • Top 5

16 45.71%
  • Top 10

7 20.00%
  • Top 20

10 28.57%
  • Below 20

1 2.86%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Dale Steyn -Greatest of All Time

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    The 2012 series in England and Australia both had ridiculously flat decks for the most part. Anderson/Broad and the Australian pacers' figures make for terrible reading in their own conditions. Within that context, Steyn did fantastic.

Besides, the best batting lineup he's ever faced wasnt Australia or England. It was India in 2008-11 which had Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Gambhir, VVS with almost all of them in pretty much peak form. And he had multiple dominant performances against them.
    Philander managed to outbowl him a couple of times in that period though (NZ tour, England tour).
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

International Regular
    Interesting that despite being an ATG test bowler, Steyn hasn't been as good in ODIs. Others like Lillee, Hadlee, Akram, McGrath and Ambrose were also ATG ODI bowlers (Marshall less so).

State Vice-Captain
    Dale Steyn for me is somewhere is the top 15 bowlers perhaps, maybe top ten.

I give him credit for being a fantastic match-winner. But he was dominated too often for me to put him in with Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee and Imran, who I put as the top tier. He had a tendency to blow hot and cold in the same series. In India in 2010 for example, he took that amazing 10-fer in Nagpur but seemed pedestrian in the next test. In Australia in 2012, he was taken apart in the first two tests before ripping into Australia in Perth. If you study his career, this was his tendency, a single match-winning performance in every series.

People point to his terrific strikerate but ignore the fact that his R/O is quite high. This means if he wasnt taking wickets, he was usually going for runs. Whereas guys like Marshall, Ambrose and McGrath would still manage to keep things tight even when they were not getting wickets.
    Last edited by subshakerz; 09-10-2017 at 12:58 AM.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    A Steyn vs. McGrath vs. Ambrose poll will be a great contest. Think Marshall and Hadlee still rated slightly above this trio by CW in general.
    Not sure that it would be. Most of Steyn’s most devoted fans seem to concede he’s behind McGrath and mostly Ambrose as well. So I don’t think he’d get many votes in that poll aside from those that are in love with him.

Damn I miss watching McGrath bowl. Fatal harmony.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International Regular
    Perhaps I'm biased, but this is the best bowler I've ever seen:

https://youtu.be/EdCQfGh1KEY

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I rate him as highly as anyone, but just playing devil's advocate, do we hold it against him that he played so much in SA?

People were saying when analysing Graeme Smith's batting average it should be taken into account that he played so much in SA, which is traditionally fast-bowler friendly, especially with the new ball. If that's the case then you'd have to take it into account when rating Steyn as a bowler, just logically speaking.

I don't think it means he isn't an ATG or doesn't belong in the top 5, not by a long shot, but would you have to take it into account when regarding his statistics as people did with Graeme Smith?
    Here's his record in South Africa: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

And his record outside of South Africa: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

So I think you raise a valid question, but he still has a very good away record. The average might be higher than the career averages of the players he's being compared against, but the strike rate beats everyone except Waqar Younis's 43.4.

In his era he is so far ahead of the rest just like a Syd Barnes for example. It is so hard to compare across era's but Steyn has been a monster among his fellow contemporaries and he was one for a long period which included Asian success of which many great fast bowlers couldn't quite do.

It isn't too far fetched to rate him as highly as you want.

To me I have agony doing so, so I won't. Too many Great fast bowlers. Just enjoyed reading or watching what each one did.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 09-10-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

International Regular

It's another one of those things. Won't rate current batsmen as highly because easier pitches. Yet won't rate Steyn that highly because <sumfin sumfin>
    SeamUp likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    A Steyn vs. McGrath vs. Ambrose poll will be a great contest. Think Marshall and Hadlee still rated slightly above this trio by CW in general.
    I got the impression Marshall and McGrath were widely regarded as the two best around here, but I might think that because they're the top two in my mind.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Coach
    I think Marshall is certainly considered the best in general. Whilst McGrath was obviously a great bowler as well he seems to be one like Imran and indeed Steyn that seems to have an element of schoolboy crush about it.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Marshall is a cut ahead of the rest, he has everything going for him (I'm just judging statistically, he was before my time).

SR of 45, plenty of big hauls while having to compete with several other great fast bowlers, dominated in all conditions/countries, could do everything with the ball, etc.
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Going on records Ambrose, McGrath and Marshall are the standouts, nothing between them

Steyn is maybe more like Lillee, who was a bit more expensive than those but smashed batting lineups on demand and was miles ahead of the next best at the time
    ankitj likes this.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Marshall is a cut ahead of the rest, he has everything going for him (I'm just judging statistically, he was before my time).

SR of 45, plenty of big hauls while having to compete with several other great fast bowlers, dominated in all conditions/countries, could do everything with the ball, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Going on records Ambrose, McGrath and Marshall are the standouts, nothing between them

Steyn is maybe more like Lillee, who was a bit more expensive than those but smashed batting lineups on demand and was miles ahead of the next best at the time
    Donald isn't far behind, is he?
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information