• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG prediction thread

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I live another 50 years (unlikely) I will be surprised if I see a better bat in all formats for England than Root. If I do I will enjoy watching them.

Can say the same for New Zealand and Williamson and having seen Crowe to say Kane is better is high praise indeed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I cannot believe someone said Azhar Ali and yet no one has said Yasir Shah. Guy is the real deal, AFAIC. In fact, I think both will end up as test match ATGs or at least in the tier below that. They are really really good.

OverratedSanity

Azhar Ali is almost 33 already. There's very little chance he'll be able to do enough before he retires to end up an atg.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yasirs 31 no spring chicken either

If he debuted before 25 he'd be a real shot at some records

mr_mister

I cannot believe someone said Azhar Ali and yet no one has said Yasir Shah. Guy is the real deal, AFAIC. In fact, I think both will end up as test match ATGs or at least in the tier below that. They are really really good.
Has an awesome amount of wickets per match but a meh average

It's interesting

Daemon

Throwing the atg term too loosely around here if Azhar Ali is being considered.

Probs just AB, Amla, Smith and Root.

Ashwin will probably always be a tricky one because of the favourable home tracks and away record. He does have fitness issues as well which may hurt the longevity.

Philander needs to double the number of tests he's played which isn't happening.

Josh and Rabada have a good shot but so many things can happen to a bowler that I wouldn't put money on it.

Chrish

International Debutant
None of these guys are ATG common now! I would be reluctant to call even Kumble ATG. Great number of wickets but average bit too high for my liking.

mr_mister

Even if you poke holes in Ashwin and Ravi's bowling records their batting records are very good when you remember they're their countries best two bowlers

Chrish

International Debutant
Honest question: can a guy like Kapil be called ATG? His average of close to 30 is too high but then he took 434 wickets and averaged 31 with the bat.. I would like to know what the general opinion is about him over here.

OverratedSanity

Honest question: can a guy like Kapil be called ATG? His average of close to 30 is too high but then he took 434 wickets and averaged 31 with the bat.. I would like to know what the general opinion is about him over here.
Not an atg bowler but definitely an atg allrounder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Has an awesome amount of wickets per match but a meh average

It's interesting

Sometimes bowling average is over rated. As long as you have the batting line up to give you more runs, ability to take wickets and strike is a lot more important. I think especially with spinners, wickets per match is as important or more important than just the bowling average.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yasir's high wickets per match is probably because Pakistan insists on playing 3 pacers who end up doing **** all in UAE.

Daemon

Yasir's high wickets per match is probably because Pakistan insists on playing 3 pacers who end up doing **** all in UAE.
True, but tbf he also has hauls of 19, 24 and 25 wickets in 3 different series away from UAE (4,3,3 games respectively)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
lol@Kohli being in competition with Sachin as greatest Indian bat. Heck, Sachin is still in competition with Sunny in many people's eyes.

vcs

Yes, Shah gets lots of big hauls in the UAE. He's not as good as Warne, but pretty close to the ideal Test match leg-spinner. He is tireless and will reliably get teams out on day 4 and 5. Bit like Kumble used to do for us. But yeah, he's 31+ and Pakistan don't play huge amounts of Test cricket so he'll struggle to get to 400+.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
ATG all rounder.

His impact was beyond his stats. Those bowling numbers got affected due to him carrying the Indian bowling for a longer time.And he was no Pollock or Hadlee with the bat.