• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian ODI batsmen (past & present)

Who is the best ever Australian ODI batsman?

• MG Bevan

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • DC Boon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AR Border

• AC Gilchrist

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • ML Hayden

• DM Jones

• GR Marsh

• RT Ponting

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • ME Waugh

• SR Waugh

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • other

• Total voters

Waughney

International Debutant
Bevan, just the number of times he has pulled Australia out of trouble in pressure situations. But Ponting should be no.1 soon.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's just pure class. You can't bring stats into an discussion of this nature.

Waughney

International Debutant
DJ Bumfluff said:
He's just pure class. You can't bring stats into an discussion of this nature.
Pure class as a multitalented player but not as a batsmen. How can you put him ahead of the likes of Bevan, Jones, Ponting, Waugh?

Sudeep

International Captain
Michael Bevan.

Adam Gilchrist a close second.

But Ponting could take the title in future.

I think Ian Harvey's bowling skills have proved much more important than his batting. Yes, he's good, but he hasn't shown it with the bat yet.

And...

DJ Blumbuff said:

My list of bowlers who need immediate banning:
Shoaib Akhtar
Shoaib Malik
Shabbir Ahmed
Harbhajan Singh
Murali
James Kirtley
Brett Lee
Ian Harvey

So... you obviously mean he should be a batsman only for Australia?

Last edited:

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry, it appears that I have been misunderstood.

I was being sarcastic. I think Ian Harvey is the worst international player currently playing (with the exception of any Bangladeshis or Zimbabweans) and cannot believe that a country of the strength of Australia would keep picking him as they have done. The only reason I think he should be banned is because he complete dog turd.

Sorry for the confusion.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
It has to be Bevan. There have been plenty who were more spectacular or more elegant, but if you judge it by scoring runs and winning matches, it is clearly Bevan.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Being an old fella, I picked Dean Jones. He was the first of the flashy Aussie ODI batsmen and a great fielder to boot. Changed the way we played the game, at least in the batting department.

Sure Bevan has won the matches and Gilchrist can smash out of the park, but Dean Jones is what made me start watching ODI cricket when I was a kid.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Who do you think is the best ever ODI batsman that Australia has ever produced?

I liked Bevan, he wasn't the most talented, was not the fastest scoring, was not the most flamboyant but simply the finest ODI bat that I have ever seen. (ofcourse after Tendulkar that is).

I like players like Bevan, Waugh and to an extent Kasprowicz....these guys aren't the most talented players around but have always used their skills to the maximum.

However I think Ricky Ponting will beat Bevan by the time he retires.

Andre

International Regular
Mark Waugh is the one for mine. Was capable of absolutely anything in ODI cricket - the complete batsman for that form of the game.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Dean Jones was a pioneer,and revolutonized one day batting and fielding so he would be my choice.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Waugh, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting - very difficalt to choose, Mark Waugh just... Ponting will surpass him in the future i think though

tooextracool

International Coach
SquidAU said:
Sure Bevan has won the matches and Gilchrist can smash out of the park, but Dean Jones is what made me start watching ODI cricket when I was a kid.
and graeme hick was what made me start watching cricket......

tooextracool

International Coach
Andre said:
Mark Waugh is the one for mine. Was capable of absolutely anything in ODI cricket - the complete batsman for that form of the game.
2 dozen flick shots and a couple of drives per innings...what a complete player!

tooextracool

International Coach
id pick bevan simply because he had everything you needed to succeed in the ODI game. precision placement and timing, hare like speed between the wickets and the ability to bat till the end and win matches. The worldwide preparation of these 350+ wickets have ruined his career for me. its a pity to see how these dead flat wickets in the ODI game have made so many apalling batsmen look good(gayle,afridi etc)....