• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least we now know why Hales wasn't called by the defence - the dressing room where those two next play together will be an interesting place

Howe_zat

Audio File
According to the Beeb even the prosecutor has said it began as self defence, and the only debate is on whether Stokes took it too far. Suggests he'll get off

Borges

International Regular
The prosecutor was indicting Hales.
Why? He wasn't charged, was he?

Think Stokes would get sway quite lightly; drunken brawls happen all the time, and some of them turn needlessly violent.
Though I fail to understand why the defence thought that stoutly claiming that he was not inebriated would further his cause.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Think Stokes would get sway quite lightly; drunken brawls happen all the time, and some of them turn needlessly violent.
Though I fail to understand why the defence thought that stoutly claiming that he was not inebriated would further his cause.
Wasn't the other Hale (not Hales the cricketer) immediately cleared of charges through instruction by judge in court?.

It feels like the charge of affray for Ali is because he started the fight and on Stokes for continuing the fight after Hale and Ali tried to get away, and by the footage it pretty much makes them both guilty, Unless you buy the argument that Stokes was still afraid of them coming after him again when they were running away?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
He'll get sentenced to the HK Blitz - I've said this earlier. Stokes will be crying out for a prison sentence rather than a stint with the Kowloon Cantons.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Because in theory it should make his evidence more persuasive. "Oh yeah, I remember everything really clearly despite being blind drunk" is not very convincing statement.

S.Kennedy

Judge Peter Blair QC addresses the absence of Kai Barry and William O'Connor as witnesses. He explains: "It is for the prosecution and defence as to what evidence is presented to the jury. There is no place for guessing or speculating

S.Kennedy

Cole also sought to dismiss the suggestion that Stokes was "drunk" and "enraged" in the moments leading up to the incident as "complete nonsense".

Good luck trying to sell that one
By Stokes's own admission he drunk x number of vodkas on top of beer, and then started adding Jagermeisters in subsequent statements!! Stokes's alcohol intake is a will o' the wisp.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a dead set miracle Hales wasn't charged with anything. He should buy a lottery ticket.

Burgey

TBF, at least OJ was charged.

I still remember laying on the bed in the room at the Cape Sun Intercontinental when that verdict was delivered. Was my first overseas trip. I'd just arrived in SA that day and was trying to stay awake til evening. The verdict was such a shock it ensured I did.

Zinzan

IMO Stoke's biggest concern is still that high birds-eyes footage which captures him continuing to chase the retreating men and continue to bash them when it was clear they were retreating and surrendering. He's lucky he didn't kill one of those blokes which can happen when a stronger bloke continuously bashes a weaker bloke while they are no longer putting up a fight.

Hate to sound cynical & I may be wrong, but I get the feeling not much will come of it since he's such an integral part of the English set-up. I fear it could be different if it was more of a fringe-international player.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO Stoke's biggest concern is still that high birds-eyes footage which captures him continuing to chase the retreating men and continue to bash them when it was clear they were retreating and surrendering. He's lucky he didn't kill one of those blokes which can happen when a stronger bloke continuously bashes a weaker bloke while they are no longer putting up a fight.

Hate to sound cynical & I may be wrong, but I get the feeling not much will come of it since he's such an integral part of the English set-up. I fear it could be different if it was more of a fringe-international player.
Am inclined to agree with that, reminds me of the truly awful treatment given to Duncan Spencer back in the day.

Zinzan

We also shouldn't forget Stoke's pathetic attempt to mock Katie Price's special needs child last year when watching that video interaction with the two gay gentlemen.

While there was no audio, it was fairly clear to me that he was likely taking the piss out of them. Not only the fact he seemed the mimic & mock their movements at one point, he also is seen dismissively flicking a cigarette butt at them, which he claims he couldn't remember. Also if you watch the body language of all of them in that part of the clip, you could tell those 2 gay chaps were a little apprehensive of him. That was my read of it anyway.