• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think I'm beginning to understand why I apparently give better answers to sledger's exam questions than his actual students do.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't really blame Stokes for his reaction. It is understandable and, although I'm not proud of it, I would probably behaved similarly, certainly when I was his age. If someone comes at one with a bottle and then backs off, realising they're overmatched, it does take a level of self-control I'm still not sure I have, to back off when one's brain is flooded with fight or flight hormones.

However, understanding a reaction isn't the same as legal professionals applying the law. If Stokes is deemed to have broken it or even that there's a case to answer, his position on the tour becomes, in my opinion, untenable. As harmful to England's rapidly receding prospects as that is.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't say that. I said it is a regular British city scene and the participants usually end up with a caution and a fine.
I think when there is a bit of a scuffle with a few half-hearted thrown punches, yeah. But that video shows seriously more than that... in my time in England I never saw anything as bad as that. Maybe I just hung out at the wrong pubs.

Last edited:

Hennybogan

U19 12th Man
The unwitting accomplice may end up with a huge payday. Imagine this going down in the US, lawyers would be ringing this bloke's phone off his head.

Bijed

International Regular
Ben Stokes is a thug and behaved like one. The idea that he knocked the other bloke out just to be on the safe side in case he was reaching for a gun is like something from a bad episode of EastEnders.
So, any episode of Eastenders, then?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think when there is a bit of a scuffle with a few half-hearted thrown punches, yeah. But that video shows seriously more than that... in my time in England I never saw anything as bad as that. Maybe I just hung out at the wrong pubs.
You didn't visit the Big Market in Newcastle, did you?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I must say I've found some people's reactions to this on here interesting. Concerning too, in a couple of cases.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Evidence/stats to back this up please.
You just have to walk down a high street. Do you see those people getting a criminal record? They usually lock them up in the drunk tank overnight, charge them, fine them something like £100 and release them. You lot are acting like this is some unprecedented thing. The only thing unique about it is it concerned an international cricketer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem with things like this though is that Stokes' guilt hinges on a question of fact (i.e. did he believe he was being threatened?) rather than a question of law. You don't need to be a judge or legal professional (or even academic!) to answer those sorts of questions.
You do need to not be a complete ****wit though. The general public is dumb, it's why you shouldn't have dumb things like a referendum.

I should clarify that my opinions are exclusively a result of watching multiple juries **** up in movies and tv shows

Last edited: