• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stokes Arrested

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How does "going too far" get considered? Like I'm sure Stokes even at the end thought he was still 'threatened'

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
How does "going too far" get considered? Like I'm sure Stokes even at the end thought he was still 'threatened'
Assessed on a case by case basis. Basically you're allowed to do what is "reasonably necessary" to defend yourself. So in other words, if you do something that is no longer "necessary" to ensuring your defence you have gone too far.

When trying assess this the following points are usually taken into consideration:

- The gravity of the crime or evil to be prevented;
- What other means of avoiding the attack are available;
- The Strength of the parties involved;
- The Unwillingness of the defendant to use violence;

TheJediBrah

Teases poster about their claims of fighting prowess

Proceeds to casually mention they've been in plenty of melees
From what I've seen, the kind of guys who talk about how good they are at fighting are the guys who have no idea what they're doing

And no I've never been in a fight unless being punched on the head (literally the top of the head) by an angry 13 year old while I was trying to run away counts

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't see how all the smart-arses think someone is a 'hard-man' for saying they would keep hitting a guy who attacks you with a weapon, until the point they're incapacitated. If anyone else on here would not do that they're bloody stupid frankly. For the record I've done kickboxing once/twice a week for about 8 months. I'm 6' 2" and 14-15 stone so I've never been hassled, about from random dickheads smoking right next to me and try to look macho in front of their girlfriend (works better when they're not Joe Root sized in a tracksuit). If my adrenaline gets going I doubt I'd be going oh okay you've lost your weapon I'll let you back off now and try and find another one. You'd have to be phenomenally stupid to give someone like that any benefit of the doubt. If they run off then that's different. But backing off with their arms up in my face, nah. You'd have to be absolutely stupid to wait until they attack again to defend yourself. My attitude is the opposite to being a hard-man. I know that that moron could get one lucky shot in, or arm themselves and get one shot in. I'm not in an action movie where the generic weedy bad guy always loses. I'm going to maximise the chances of survival for myself and anyone else with me, the attacker is not really a factor.

Now that has established, could we get on with pointing out the chivalrous white knights, because that sort of stuff really is 99.9% bollocks, would not happen in reality, whilst the remaining 0.1% is gross stupidity/naivity.

harsh.ag

He clocked another guy, Beeves, one who hadn't done anything to begin with (or so we know at this stage).

Gnske

I don't see how all the smart-arses think someone is a 'hard-man' for saying they would keep hitting a guy who attacks you with a weapon, until the point they're incapacitated. If anyone else on here would not do that they're bloody stupid frankly. For the record I've done kickboxing once/twice a week for about 8 months. I'm 6' 2" and 14-15 stone so I've never been hassled, about from random dickheads smoking right next to me and try to look macho in front of their girlfriend (works better when they're not Joe Root sized in a tracksuit). If my adrenaline gets going I doubt I'd be going oh okay you've lost your weapon I'll let you back off now and try and find another one. You'd have to be phenomenally stupid to give someone like that any benefit of the doubt. If they run off then that's different. But backing off with their arms up in my face, nah. You'd have to be absolutely stupid to wait until they attack again to defend yourself. My attitude is the opposite to being a hard-man. I know that that moron could get one lucky shot in, or arm themselves and get one shot in. I'm not in an action movie where the generic weedy bad guy always loses. I'm going to maximise the chances of survival for myself and anyone else with me, the attacker is not really a factor.

Now that has established, could we get on with pointing out the chivalrous white knights, because that sort of stuff really is 99.9% bollocks, would not happen in reality, whilst the remaining 0.1% is gross stupidity/naivity.
This post is literally so right it feels wrong to read it.

Who could argue with that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm just gutted all this happened just as we were about to get Stokes, Foakes and Woakes in the same team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah keep going. This is positively Darwinian.
I like how the pattern of exchanges has gone like:

- Beevs makes a lolworthy Internet hard man post.

- Everyone bags on it for the joke that it is.

- Beevs responds by trying to shrug this off and distance himself from the allegations, but his post is actually just another "oooh look how hard I am" post.

You always know you're hard/cool when you spend time bragging online about how hard/cool you are and then repeatedly trying to prove/justify it. Right out of the Fiery playbook.

Spikey

i've learnt that Durham produces the hardest blokes in england.

Makes you wonder how the ECB got away with correctly punishing them really

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not going to drop in my own amateur hour take on this, because every possible post about it has been made already, but I love how everyone on here is apparently trained in English Criminal Law now, and that English Criminal Law was exclusively written and interpreted by Dennis Denuto*.

*I'm not talking about the actual lawyers here (please don't sue me for defamation).

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
I don't see how all the smart-arses think someone is a 'hard-man' for saying they would keep hitting a guy who attacks you with a weapon, until the point they're incapacitated. .
Actually, watching the video again, Stokes is doing the opposite. He spends half the fight attacking a guy who doesn't attack him, and who was trying to keep the bottle-wielder and Stokes apart. It is this guy Stokes knocks unconscious at the end of the video, while bottle-wielder backs away.