• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Success draft: Choose an XI full of players who had peak success at 11 different ages

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To measure success in players you are fielding in your top 7(including your keeper who must bat here) we go by the age they turned the year they got their most test centuries. If they reached an equal amount of centuries across multiple years and ages, you can have your pick of those ages.

To measure success in players you are fielding from 8-11 we go by the age they turned the year they got their most test wickets. If there's a tie between ages, take your pick between those 2 options.

For example, Bradman got 5 test centuries in 1931 and 1948, you would have been able to have play him as either age 23 or 40 in your XI. Unfortunately Bradman won't be available in this draft.

But you get the point. You need 11 different ages represented.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Damn you Mr2... You dont want any of us to get any real work done in life, do you? Keep coming up with these outre and yet interesting ideas for drafts.

And I am in, btw. :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tentative about it. Interesting idea but will take lot of research. Will make up my mind shortly.

Teuton

International Captain
I like the idea, and not asking you to give up any competitive advantage, but is there any way to find the data besides looking at every player page you want individually?

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's funny how we went from having one draft at any one time to having one mr_mister draft at any one time

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the idea, and not asking you to give up any competitive advantage, but is there any way to find the data besides looking at every player page you want individually?
IIRC Statsguru has an age filter.

Teuton

International Captain
Thanks for that.
Yes I see now statsguru has 'age at start of match' as a filter. Should be close enough.

It's not like I'd rather be doing anything else, count me in.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
16 hours in first round, 8 hours per pick from then on

So remember, 11 different ages must be represented.

Round 1:

OverratedSanity
AndrewB
Teuton
morgieb
honestbharani
mr_mister
The Battler's Prince

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I guess that's a time out, so I'll start things off with Gary Sobers, who seems to have scored 3 hundreds aged 21, 22, 23 and 34. Do I need to pick the age now?

OverratedSanity

I guess that's a time out, so I'll start things off with Gary Sobers, who seems to have scored 3 hundreds aged 21, 22, 23 and 34. Do I need to pick the age now?
If I'm understanding it right, Sobers scored 6 hundreds in the year 1958 which is the year he turned 22. So you picked Sobers for age 22.

OP doesn't mention age at the start of the match, instead, it's :
the age they turned the year they got their most test centuries/wickets

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Sid Barnes aged 40

While I can see what OS says matches what the OP says, the statsguru filters works the way Andrewb has done it and it might be a bit much to expect us to look at every players career and birth year individually.

OverratedSanity

Sid Barnes aged 40

While I can see what OS says matches what the OP says, the statsguru filters works the way Andrewb has done it and it might be a bit much to expect us to look at every players career and birth year individually.
Guess it's up to mr_mister.

How do you get the age filter? I can't seem to get it to work the way you described.

Teuton

International Captain
Yes it is up to Mr mister. I admit it is still a fair bit of analysis but I can't think of any other way to collect data across multiple players. Ie I did one statsguru analysis for each age rather than one for each player.

Under the advanced filter there is an option for 'age at start of match'. You can set the from and to to say 40 and it will show how many wickets every 40 year old took. Barnes took 49.

I then compiled into a spreadsheet. Not sure if this is the best method, just up to individual preferences and skills.

Last edited: