• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara Disappionted over pontings comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Scallywag said:
Well there is no need for Lara to abuse Ponting.

:)
Don't know how you came to the conclusion that Lara is abusing Ponting. All he is doing is defending himself - in fact he doesn't mention Ponting's name at all.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Well there is no need for Lara to abuse Ponting.

:)
Totally and utterly agree. It was quite despicable the way Lara went tearing into Ricky Ponting with absolutely no provocation whatsoever.

er...

biased indian

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Totally and utterly agree. It was quite despicable the way Lara went tearing into Ricky Ponting with absolutely no provocation whatsoever.

er...
Ponting was so angry at his country men losing the world record that he even called lara selfish and if lara now defends himselfs u people call it abuse and all the other thing pls don't be this biased

chicane

State Captain
koch_cha said:
Ponting was so angry at his country men losing the world record that he even called lara selfish and if lara now defends himselfs u people call it abuse and all the other thing pls don't be this biased
hehe you r mistaken he's mocking the guy who said Lara abused Ponting 8-)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Adamc said:
Don't know how you came to the conclusion that Lara is abusing Ponting. All he is doing is defending himself - in fact he doesn't mention Ponting's name at all.
I'm sure he did, unless he was fully committed to using the term "the Australian captain", seeing as he was responding directly to Ponting's comments.

Then again, I'm assuming that Scallywag was being sarcastic (even if it's hard to get some sense of context seeing as it's the only post he's ever made to the forum).

Of course, your post may be sarcastic too... :cool:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
koch_cha said:
Sarcasm - A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

Try getting a sense of context before replying and playing the bias/victimisation card...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
Ponting was so angry at his country men losing the world record that he even called lara selfish

Angry? Didn't look like the rantings of an angry man to me...

And please show us where he used those words about Lara, because it's certainly not in ANY interview I've seen.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
koch_cha said:
I am truly sorry. There are times when I really ought to keep my anti-Lara bias in check but, you know, we Australians are like that. We stick together. Blood is thicker than water, and I instinctively stepped in to protect one of our own. It's a tribal thing, really, but we are all related. Every Aussie has an Auntie Sheila.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Think the anti-Lara sentiment is going too far.. There is only so much a man can do with an out of form/mediocre bunch of cricketers...

Scallywag

Banned
Lara scored 400 and lost a game that the WI had a good chance to win all because he wanted to chase a personal record for his own ego.
He is the captain and he made a decision that cost his team a chance of victory.

Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over and if Lara had any sense at all he would have listened to Ponting and taken his comments on board and hopefully improved his knowlege as a captain.

A great day for Lara and world record to boot but a sad day for West Indies cricket when they cant even beat England once in four attempts at home.

Yes I know he scored 400 runs and that helped the West Indian cricket prove beyond doubt that they are a one man team, I'm sure that is something everybody thinks is good for the other WI players.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Lara scored 400 and lost a game that the WI had a good chance to win all because he wanted to chase a personal record for his own ego.
He is the captain and he made a decision that cost his team a chance of victory.

Ponting has proven himself to be a much better captain than Lara many times over and if Lara had any sense at all he would have listened to Ponting and taken his comments on board and hopefully improved his knowlege as a captain.

A great day for Lara and world record to boot but a sad day for West Indies cricket when they cant even beat England once in four attempts at home.

Yes I know he scored 400 runs and that helped the West Indian cricket prove beyond doubt that they are a one man team, I'm sure that is something everybody thinks is good for the other WI players.
'Brian Lara - World Record Holder' sounds a lot better than 'England 3 West Indies 1,' and im sure this series will be remembered more fondly by West Indians than if Lara had not got the record but West had won a single match.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Lara's decision was correct

Considering the state of the pitch and the lack of affective bowlers it was never likely to create a result for WI. I was surprised they managed to bowl out England once.

It's easy for Ponting to say, "That's not the way the Australian team plays", as he has bowlers that can win matches and a reliable batting line-up. Additionally, Ponting has never been in the position of preventing a series whitewash, though I would love to see it.

And the WI public seem to have taken much more from Lara's 400 than any recent test victory.

Scallywag

Banned
Telling your bowlers on stumps day 2 before they have even bowled a ball that they are not good enough to win a match would be soul destroying for any attack.

Lara might be on top of the world but how do you think the bowlers would feel, how are they going to respond to Lara in the future.

If over the next couple of games I expect the WI bowling to be lacklustre and lacking confidence, I also think it will be the catylist for Laras exit as captain.

What a captain telling his bowling attack that they are not good enough.

Sehwag309

Banned
Now Ponting says Lara's record won't be broken as the captains would declare and there is less possibility a batsmen can score at a rate to reach 400.

Now, does he mean 1st innings situation? Coz if a team scores 600 in 2 days, so the batsmen in team batting 2nd does have a chance.

Eg, India scored 500 odd, Jayasurya scored 340 and team total was 900 something.

Game would be a draw but still there is a possibility

krkode

State Captain
That 500-900 India-Sri Lanka draw was one of the more ridiculous draws I've heard of in Cricketing history. I don't think any sane team would do a thing like that today.

Still, I believe a batsman from a team batting first still has the ability to beat Lara's record. Think 200 overs. Playing at about 4 an over, you could make 800. One batsman could easily be the majority of that (it happens to often nowadays). But again, while talking about 4 an over, we're basically cutting down the possibilities to just Australia. 250-300 overs of batting would make it distinctly possible for most other teams, but then again unless you're going for a ridiculous draw, you wouldn't play 250-300 overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.