Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 140
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Four-day test cricket

  1. #61
    International Coach SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    10,142
    I could have put this in the NZL thread but right now it fits the challenges the test game is facing.

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...P=share_btn_tw
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

    LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

  2. #62
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    22,863
    Do any of these cricket boards make their finances public?

    I really want to look into where the money is going in to if they absolutely cannot afford to stage more Test matches
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

    The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

    iTunes
    SoundCloud

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

  3. #63
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Do any of these cricket boards make their finances public?

    I really want to look into where the money is going in to if they absolutely cannot afford to stage more Test matches
    Their receptionists really need that 4th beach house zorax, don't be selfish
    zorax, honestbharani and Bijed like this.

  4. #64
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,357
    I don"t see a problem. If it was ok to change from timeless tests to 5 days then there is no problem changing to 4 days .


  5. #65
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    22,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    I don"t see a problem. If it was ok to change from timeless tests to 5 days then there is no problem changing to 4 days .
    There is a huge difference

    Timeless tests were impossible to schedule an itinerary around. Teams had to abandon games because they had to catch a ship back home. Not only that, but with no end in sight you got ridiculously slow scoring games and negative tactics. Cricket became a battle of attrition.

    Limiting timeless tests to a fixed number of days solved two massive problems. Sure 5 days was a bit of an arbitrary number, but that was the number that was set and that's the number of days we have played since

    Cutting from 5 to 4 doesn't solve any problems or improve the game in any way. It's a purely financial decision

  6. #66
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    33,011
    Plus no one liked timeless tests anyway even at the time. Without time as a factor, everyone loses discipline.
    zorax likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

  7. #67
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,696
    There's a big difference between timeless matches and five day tests, although perhaps less so with six day tests. The toss was even more important because an uncovered pitch would almost always only get worse, and people would take extreme safety first tactics in the first innings. Run rates even in very big innings are astonishingly low. Wally Hammond's 251 at Sydney was scored off 605 balls, and the whole innings of 636 took nearly 273 overs, at 2.33 rpo. Only 5 of 30 individual innings in the first three innings struck above 50.
    While three or four day tests in England saw over rates up to 130 a day, which would reduce the boring factor considerably, that match didn't even have that - the Australian innings on the last day closed at half past one so I'd say that there were less than 100 overs a day on average in that match.

    Five days strikes a good sweet spot between pressure to force a result and having enough time left over in case of stoppages.
    Last edited by Starfighter; 26-09-2017 at 06:40 AM.

  8. #68
    Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    30,926
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Do any of these cricket boards make their finances public?

    I really want to look into where the money is going in to if they absolutely cannot afford to stage more Test matches
    They all make them public.

  9. #69
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    There is a huge difference

    Timeless tests were impossible to schedule an itinerary around. Teams had to abandon games because they had to catch a ship back home. Not only that, but with no end in sight you got ridiculously slow scoring games and negative tactics. Cricket became a battle of attrition.

    Limiting timeless tests to a fixed number of days solved two massive problems. Sure 5 days was a bit of an arbitrary number, but that was the number that was set and that's the number of days we have played since

    Cutting from 5 to 4 doesn't solve any problems or improve the game in any way. It's a purely financial decision
    One solved a logistical problem and this one will hopefully solve a financial problem. Neither are pure cricketing reasons.

    Did run rates immediately approve after the switch or only much later?

  10. #70
    Hall of Fame Member harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    18,117
    If other rules remain the same, we will see quicker scoring rates and more declarations in the 3rd innings because teams do want to win.

    Perhaps they are building towards a 4 day format where each side gets to play 2 days of 90 overs each. 1st and 3rd for the team batting first and 2nd and 4th for the team batting second.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  11. #71
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,696
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    If other rules remain the same, we will see quicker scoring rates and more declarations in the 3rd innings because teams do want to win.
    In other words even more batsman oriented. Scoring rates have been very high in Australia recently but that hasn't made the matches interesting.

    Perhaps they are building towards a 4 day format where each side gets to play 2 days of 90 overs each. 1st and 3rd for the team batting first and 2nd and 4th for the team batting second.
    That would suck beyond belief.

  12. #72
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    22,863
    Wanting to be able to achieve a result instead of abandoning the game is as much a cricketing reason as it is a logistical one. And I don't think there is anything wrong with decisions made for logistical purposes. It's why I was on board with the idea of a 4 day Test between SA and Zimbabwe. It's when the cricket takes a back seat to money that it bothers me.

    The advantage of a 5 day (or 6 day or even 4 day) test vs a timeless one isn't simply run rates. When you limit the game to a fixed amount of time, it gives sides an option of a draw. This means there is more incentive to be aggressive in an attempt to get ahead in the game, because if you mess up and fall behind, you can always cling on till the clock runs out. In a timeless test, you cannot do that. There is no clinging on and fighting till a draw. If you fall behind you either need a massive rearguard effort, or you're done. Cricket improved massively when tests were capped at a certain number of days because now sides were emboldened to actively chase a victory vs playing it safe simply waiting for the other side to **** up first.

    The lack of discipline in a timeless test is a great point too. If you have all the time in the world, you have no urgency to actually get through your overs quickly. It's like playing chess without a timer. The introduction of mandatory over-rates with penalties for not complying has been great for the game. It makes it a lot more spectator friendly, and stops it from being merely a battler of attrition.

    Reducing a game from 5 days to 4 days doesn't actually add anything to the sport. Sure it may make teams bat more aggressively, bowl more aggressively, and more overs in a day is good for the spectator. But none of these were issues that absolutely had to be addressed. And the fact that the ECB hasn't even cited these as possible reasons for why they are proposing this is already enough evidence that this idea has no cricketing merit.

    It's a cash grab, plain and simple. Putting money ahead of the sport. We lose money on the 5th day, cricket no longer earns money to survive but survives to earn money, so we cut the 5th day. It's why domestic cricket all around the world is getting chopped up and shaken up in order to make it more 'profitable', it's why we get T20 leagues everywhere, and it's why smaller nations and teams get no game time. Because the sport is now a money making venture, whereas once it existed simply for the sake of sport with any money earned off it being secondary.

    It's sad and disgusting.
    Last edited by zorax; 26-09-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    honestbharani likes this.

  13. #73
    International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,569
    Wasn't the timeless tests just some weird experiments they tried sporadically until the second world war, ad hoc things?
    zorax likes this.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

  14. #74
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Wasn't the timeless tests just some weird experiments they tried sporadically until the second world war, ad hoc things?
    No, all Tests in Australia from 1882 until WW2 were timeless.

  15. #75
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    There's a big difference between timeless matches and five day tests, although perhaps less so with six day tests. The toss was even more important because an uncovered pitch would almost always only get worse, and people would take extreme safety first tactics in the first innings. Run rates even in very big innings are astonishingly low. Wally Hammond's 251 at Sydney was scored off 605 balls, and the whole innings of 636 took nearly 273 overs, at 2.33 rpo. Only 5 of 30 individual innings in the first three innings struck above 50.
    While three or four day tests in England saw over rates up to 130 a day, which would reduce the boring factor considerably, that match didn't even have that - the Australian innings on the last day closed at half past one so I'd say that there were less than 100 overs a day on average in that match.
    According to Charles Davies's figures, they got through about 110 overs per (5-hour) day, except day 2, when it presumably rained at some point.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 11:36 PM
  2. Meanwhile, In Test Cricket
    By Howe_zat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25-12-2011, 11:09 AM
  3. RSC Test Cricket
    By Lach in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 03:56 AM
  4. RSC Test Cricket
    By Lach in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2001, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •