Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Four-day test cricket

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    In all domestic 4-day series teams do well to get 96-overs in if they do and now they expect 105 with DRS ? Ludicrous.
    No. I suggested 105 as a number of overs that would be acceptable for a four day match, equivalent to fourth-and-a-half days of current play. It's be a tall order for any team except maybe spin heavy attacks such as India or maybe Bangladesh to achieve. The ecb's plan is for an extra half hour, which means probably 96 overs a day at current over rates in tests.

Bounce-backability also seems to have been lost to the game. SA probably shown the best of it in recent times but being able to fight for the win and draw is all part of the drama 5 days brings.
    Yes, I'd say it has been lost. And I think the problem may actually get worse in four day tests due to scoring rate pressure, except that it would be easier to bat for the draw.

Think of Hanif Mohammad's 337, scored over sixteen hours to overcome a deficit of 473 and draw a six-day match. Headingley 1981 went into a fifth day, and Calcutta 2001 went deep into the last day. These wouldn't have happened with four day matches.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Forget everything that's being said about this, the only reason the ecb (and I suspect the test match grounds themselves) want this is because fifth days are almost always loss making.
    zorax likes this.

In a bubble I don't mind the idea of the South Africa/Zimbabwe game being a four day game - allowing this is probably a good way to get teams ranked below 8 some more Tests. If it became a regular thing outside of that situation I'd hate it with an absolute passion though, and regard anyone who supported the move as an enemy of cricket. I like to think I'd actually go ahead and boycott the games, but deep down I know I wouldn't.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 24-09-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    It did used to lead to an exciting final day, the three-day matches, and would lead to situations like what Gloucestershire used to do. They'd put out the rumour that Courtney Walsh was buggered and limit his overs or get him to bowl some rubbish in the first innings to lure the opposition into generous first innings declarations. They would then skittle them out cheaply the second time.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    In a bubble I don't mind the idea of the South Africa/Zimbabwe game being a four day game - allowing this is probably a good way to get teams ranked below 8 some more Tests. If it became a regular thing outside of that situation I'd hate it with an absolute passion though, and regard anyone who supported the move as an enemy of cricket. I like to think I'd actually go ahead and boycott the games, but deep down I know I wouldn't.
    You could take a knee during the anthem
    zorax and OverratedSanity like this.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    You could take a knee during the anthem
    I do this already anyway.
    zorax likes this.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    They are playing it down now but the real reason emerges,

He (Colin Graves) believes the loss of a day would allow each Test to begin on Thursday, with the first two days making money from corporate hospitality, and the weekend dedicated to ordinary fans.
    ECB deny pushing for four-day Test match cricket | Daily Mail Online

Of course, by extra half-hour added, they mean longer nominal playing hours before the extra half-hour is added for slow over-rates, *****-footing, altering field-placements, running drinks onto the ground, sight-screen changes taking ages, d.r.s., etc.

And if a captain does not buy into #intent, more defensive ones probably won't alter their tactics too much.
    And tell me
    If it's still raining there in England (in June)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    The BBL is like an un-flushable turd. No matter how many times you flush, it just keeps whirling & whirling around the bowl.

So according to that they have considered 105 overs. Hmm. If four day tests do happen that's what they should go with, but they won't.

Unless we go back to soft uncovered wickets and see the return of the steady medium pacer.

Didn't understand how 4-day tests would actually help improve anything cricket-wise last time we had this thread (when Fred Tetanus spammed obnoxiously all over it iirc)

... and I still don't.

About the only possible benefit I could see from it is if it meant more Tests were played overall due to the extra time saved (E.G. no more 2 match series) but I don't see that happening and instead more meaningless ODI's and T20's to fill the calendar.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Didn't understand how 4-day tests would actually help improve anything cricket-wise last time we had this thread (when Fred Tetanus spammed obnoxiously all over it iirc)

... and I still don't.
    It doesn't improve anything. They aren't even trying to claim it will improve anything. It just makes them earn more money. Thursday and Fridays are 'Corporate' days, Saturday and Sunday for the 'ordinary' fans, and there is no loss-making fifth day in the schedule anymore. 20% less cost per Test, maintain basically the same revenue, it's such a no-brainer.

A purely financial decision being made with absolutely no regard for the sport as a whole. It's disgusting. How can people who hate cricket so much get jobs running it?
    S.Kennedy and honestbharani like this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Like it or not money makes the world go round. But if four day tests are worse (and they will be) then no one will watch anyway, defeating the whole exercise's purpose.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    People will still watch it. That's not the issue. The issue is that the ECB have made their stance clear - cricket exists to make money. It doesn't make money to exist. It is no longer something that's greater than the individuals or organisations involved, but now a product to be produced, packaged and sold. The Cricket administrators in England no longer work to uphold the game and ensure its continued existence and growth, they now work squeeze it for every dollar it's worth.

And this is so short sighted. You gain a little bit of extra revenue per match, but you take away one of the key elements of the sport. The 5th day. It's such a huge part of what Test cricket is. It's not one of those things that has become antiquated with the times and no longer serves a purpose. We've literally had dozes of great 5th-day finishes in the last couple of years. It's part of the whole appeal of Test cricket. And they want it gone. Chopped off. No more 5th days.

What's worrying about this isn't that it will drive fans away from the game. Not yet anyways. What's worrying is that it sets a precedent. Decisions on the future of cricket have nothing to do with actual cricketing reasons. They all have to do with what makes the most money. What will we have next? Playing international cricket on standardized astrotuf wickets because they're cheaper to maintain? A new ball being used because it's cheaper to produce? Re-writing the laws so that all sixes henceforth are called DLF Maximums?

What this decisions says is that nothing in cricket is sacred anymore. The game itself actually doesn't matter. The things that make cricket the beautiful, nuanced, complicated, strategic game that it is...these things are secondary. What's important is balancing the books at the end of the day. And if it's a choice of trying to spread the game to new audiences and trying to grow it in the long term, or chopping it up to increase your year-end bonus in the short term, we know what choice the ECB will take,

It's short sighted. It's greedy. It's a decision made by people who have no love for the game yet somehow have been given the power to control it's future. It's disgusting.

Cricketer Of The Year SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    This is like 5 innings Baseball. Which is what departments and faculties play in college.

My point is, it becomes a game that is not the pinnacle of the sport.

Four day matches are what our club teams play.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information