• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Agreed but just watching the two you can see who has the more potential. Unfortunately Pierre just didn't look the part at all.
It would be harsh to drop him after 1 game though and whilst variety is desperately needed in the West Indies attack the bowlers who provide variety have to be good enough in the first place. Hayden Walsh Jr hasn't done much of note in the 50-over format up until now and I think West Indies are in a position where they need to pick their best available 11 rather then picking too much on potential. Whether Hayden Walsh Jr or Pierre is that spinner is near 50/50 for me. Intrigued how many runs WI assume Cornwall will cost them in the field as a much better spin option then both Pierre and Hayden Walsh Jr and a significant upgrade with the bat too. This is assuming Narine isn't back any time soon in the 50 over format - if he is he walks back in for me.

Beamer

It would be harsh to drop him after 1 game though and whilst variety is desperately needed in the West Indies attack the bowlers who provide variety have to be good enough in the first place. Hayden Walsh Jr hasn't done much of note in the 50-over format up until now and I think West Indies are in a position where they need to pick their best available 11 rather then picking too much on potential. Whether Hayden Walsh Jr or Pierre is that spinner is near 50/50 for me. Intrigued how many runs WI assume Cornwall will cost them in the field as a much better spin option then both Pierre and Hayden Walsh Jr and a significant upgrade with the bat too. This is assuming Narine isn't back any time soon in the 50 over format - if he is he walks back in for me.
Agreed that Narine would walk back in and I personally would play Rakheem in place of Pierre, Walsh or Chase but I don't think Pollard likes him.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Agreed that Narine would walk back in and I personally would play Rakheem in place of Pierre, Walsh or Chase but I don't think Pollard likes him.
surely given what the concerns around playing rakheem are, it’s a bit rich for a guy like pollard to criticise for that when rakheem has toiled away in the domestix to get his shot

maybe i’m just biased as you’ll see in my signature tbf

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure there was a bit of an issue between Pollard and Cornwall in a Caribbean Premier League game a few years back

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The pace renaissance in Windies Cricket, 2020:

Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel
Keemo Paul
Jason Holder
Alzarri Joseph
Sheldon Cotterell
Romario Shepherd
Oshane Thomas
Chemar Holder
Nial Smith
Keon Harding
Sheeno Berridge
Obed McKoy
Marquis Mindley
Clinton Pestano(where is he?)
Keon Joseph
Seales
Forde
Young

JOJOXI

Excited by Chemar Holder and hope he can make the jump to international cricket in the next few years, Berridge seems to be climbing up the pecking order after having an outing in one of the warmup games v Ireland. Intrigued to see if Nial Smith can carry on promising start. However, still not too sure about the pace attack in Test Cricket past the current XI and 1 or 2 outside of that. Certainly potential there though and things looking brighter then say 5+ years ago.

Pestano was injured as of a couple weeks ago, presuming that is still the case although not sure. Shepherd is a bowler who I really like the look of - However, whether he will be able to make the move to Test Cricket I'm not sure - certainly think he can be in and around the Limited Overs XI and hasn't looked out of place so far - however it is early days.

SillyCowCorner1

Excited by Chemar Holder and hope he can make the jump to international cricket in the next few years, Berridge seems to be climbing up the pecking order after having an outing in one of the warmup games v Ireland. Intrigued to see if Nial Smith can carry on promising start. However, still not too sure about the pace attack in Test Cricket past the current XI and 1 or 2 outside of that. Certainly potential there though and things looking brighter then say 5+ years ago.

Pestano was injured as of a couple weeks ago, presuming that is still the case although not sure. Shepherd is a bowler who I really like the look of - However, whether he will be able to make the move to Test Cricket I'm not sure - certainly think he can be in and around the Limited Overs XI and hasn't looked out of place so far - however it is early days.
The guys with the raw pace need to work on their bowling techniques. Be more consistent, be able to bowl in certain areas consistently. Also, I think they need to be able to cope with game plans.

Chemar Holder is no Miguel Cummins. He bowls it well. Can probe.

Sheeno Berridge is a hard worker. He is a good student of the game.

We also have to look at the different styles of our bowlers.

Swing, seam. Wicket to wicket bowling.

Romario Shepherd does bowl a heavy ball.
Keemo Paul swings it.
Oshane hits the deck hard.
Cotterell gives us the yorker and the natural left arm angle.

JOJOXI

The guys with the raw pace need to work on their bowling techniques. Be more consistent, be able to bowl in certain areas consistently. Also, I think they need to be able to cope with game plans.

Chemar Holder is no Miguel Cummins. He bowls it well. Can probe.

Sheeno Berridge is a hard worker. He is a good student of the game.

We also have to look at the different styles of our bowlers.

Swing, seam. Wicket to wicket bowling.

Romario Shepherd does bowl a heavy ball.
Keemo Paul swings it.
Oshane hits the deck hard.
Cotterell gives us the yorker and the natural left arm angle.
Don't doubt Chemar Holder's talent at domestic level but bowling to a well-set Root, Kohli, Williamson, S Smith etc. is a different proposition. Certainly deserves a run in the next couple years if he can keep at it but just its a big jump up. That's not Holder's fault and he can only bowl against opposition in front of him now and do his best but wary of hyping up the next generation too much before they have much experience of International Cricket.

Berridge made his debut pretty late on in his career compared to most players making their debut wonder if that is a factor - he has little time to waste - realistically if he's to get a shot at international cricket you imagine it has to be in the next couple years. Done very well to go from making his debut to being in the discussion of Windies senior team within just over 2 years.

I am a fan of Keemo Paul and whenever I've seen him bowl internationally in longer term he doesn't look too bad, although in Limited Overs I wonder about Paul when the ball isn't gripping in the surface at all.

Want to see much more consistency from Oshane Thomas before he gets another extended run internationally - thought he done well in the ODI he played v Ireland but quite often seems like his pace can be misdirected - takes time to learn and develop so don't want to write him off but would much prefer the likes of Paul, Shepherd ahead of him and Berridge getting a run at the moment.

Definetly agree about the need for variety though, don't want there to be a sudden obsession that everyone is 90mph+ or that everyone is 80mph and can't bowl particularly good change-up deliveries.

SillyCowCorner1

Don't doubt Chemar Holder's talent at domestic level but bowling to a well-set Root, Kohli, Williamson, S Smith etc. is a different proposition. Certainly deserves a run in the next couple years if he can keep at it but just its a big jump up. That's not Holder's fault and he can only bowl against opposition in front of him now and do his best but wary of hyping up the next generation too much before they have much experience of International Cricket.

Berridge made his debut pretty late on in his career compared to most players making their debut wonder if that is a factor - he has little time to waste - realistically if he's to get a shot at international cricket you imagine it has to be in the next couple years. Done very well to go from making his debut to being in the discussion of Windies senior team within just over 2 years.

I am a fan of Keemo Paul and whenever I've seen him bowl internationally in longer term he doesn't look too bad, although in Limited Overs I wonder about Paul when the ball isn't gripping in the surface at all.

Want to see much more consistency from Oshane Thomas before he gets another extended run internationally - thought he done well in the ODI he played v Ireland but quite often seems like his pace can be misdirected - takes time to learn and develop so don't want to write him off but would much prefer the likes of Paul, Shepherd ahead of him and Berridge getting a run at the moment.

Definetly agree about the need for variety though, don't want there to be a sudden obsession that everyone is 90mph+ or that everyone is 80mph and can't bowl particularly good change-up deliveries.
I agree that bowling to top batsmen is the ultimate goal for all bowlers. Just look at the way how Rabada does it lol. At the end of this FC season, I do hope that the door for some of these fast bowlers to get to the senior squad will be opened.

Keemo Paul used to bowl spin, keep wickets, and open bat for his local club in one of the Essequibo islands. I think he changed to pace bowling while on the Guyana under-15 team.

Beamer

I agree that bowling to top batsmen is the ultimate goal for all bowlers. Just look at the way how Rabada does it lol. At the end of this FC season, I do hope that the door for some of these fast bowlers to get to the senior squad will be opened.

Keemo Paul used to bowl spin, keep wickets, and open bat for his local club in one of the Essequibo islands. I think he changed to pace bowling while on the Guyana under-15 team.
I think Chemar Holder is ready for tests. I have watched him bowl against England Lions, India A plus all the regional teams and he has a consistent method; good line and length, decent pace, each way movement with a bit of extra bounce. His action is extremely repeatable also. I would have him in ahead of Shannon Gabriel tbh but lets see what they do.

Nial Smith is potentially the most devastating IMHO. He is very quick, swings the ball and attacks the stumps. He is the least developed in terms of FC game time so he definitely needs some A team cricket before being considered. What an outstanding talent though.

I agree with JOJO that Oshane Thomas needs more FC exposure before getting back in the Test set up. He will no doubt benefit from time with the bowling coach and is worth an investment as swinging the ball at pace is a gift.

Searles and Forde from the Under 19 set up look the goods also. Forde is only 17 and already has all the fundamentals, he just needs a yard more pace. Exciting times! We just need some batsmen worthy of the name.

SillyCowCorner1

Hetmyer and Rutherford seen at the Providence Stadium today. They were running...don't know if they did any drills/yoyo:

SillyCowCorner1

He looks like Jason Sinclair ( I played against him in under-19 club cricket) from the Rose Hall Town Youth and Sports Club. Head coach, Esaun Crandon is from that club.

SillyCowCorner1

So the Saint Lucia Zouks have been bought by the owners of the Kings XI franchise. They just had to...it's the biggest party in sports after all.

SillyCowCorner1

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Jamaica and West Indies cricketer Oshane Thomas was last evening involved in a motor vehicle collision on Highway 2000.

OBSERVER ONLINE was not able to ascertain if the 22-year-old fast bowler was injured after the Audi motor car he was driving overturned during the crash.

Looks serious. Wish him a speedy recovery.