• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somerset v Derby 21-24 April 2004

bob andrews

Cricket Spectator
I was very disappointed in the way our skipper approached the last day of the match. Presumably he was acting on the instructions of the esteemed coach, but surely - just over 2 and a half runs an over - and making sure we did not lose before trying to win. I have a feeling - the same feeling as at the start of last season - we have no ambition! Mike Burns has been quoted as saying 'no more Mr Nice man!' - if the attitude today is being nasty God help us all! I've always understood you have to sometimes take risks to win - could we get promoted with 16 drawn games? I thought we were told he had his strongest bowling team out!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome to the forums.. Where you from in Somerset?

if you want ambition, then take a look at what our "esteemed chairman" said on the radio last week... (its in my sig)

Just enjoy the sunshine and the cricket, and forget about ambition, because I dont think it exists any longer...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't forget this is against arguably the worst side in the country [sorry Derby fan(s)].

It's another season of division two for all money.

Langeveldt

Soutie
We pummeled them actually... It was a scorcher of a day and the runs flowed, it was the best Somerset performance in the field that ive seen for a long time though (extras were far too high)...

Caddick, Laraman and McLean bowled with a lot more pace than I expected when they pitched the ball up.. The pitch is stupidly dead as usual, its quite funny seeing them try to bowl bouncers on it...

Derbyshire were good in the field but they looked completely anonymous with the bat except Graham Welch. If DiVenuto is with them this year, they are missing not having him around...

Photos to come in this thread tomorrow James if you are reading then i will email you some tomorrow mate :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
We pummeled them actually... It was a scorcher of a day and the runs flowed, it was the best Somerset performance in the field that ive seen for a long time though (extras were far too high)...

Caddick, Laraman and McLean bowled with a lot more pace than I expected when they pitched the ball up.. The pitch is stupidly dead as usual, its quite funny seeing them try to bowl bouncers on it...

Derbyshire were good in the field but they looked completely anonymous with the bat except Graham Welch. If DiVenuto is with them this year, they are missing not having him around...

Photos to come in this thread tomorrow James if you are reading then i will email you some tomorrow mate :)
Hang about. Are we talking the Somerset v Derbyshire game from last week, the one where Hasan Adnan scored an undefeated ton in the first innings? Graham Welch went in number 9 and scored the same (9). 10 points to 9 sounds a real pummelling, as does setting 284 to win in 2 hours.

Di Venuto is out for the entire season - he had surgery on his back. They're also missing the irreplaceable Cork, of course.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rich is talking about the NCL game on the following Sunday when Somerset won by 100+ runs and Welch bludgeoned thirty-something with a couple of sixes.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Rich is talking about the NCL game on the following Sunday when Somerset won by 100+ runs and Welch bludgeoned thirty-something with a couple of sixes.
OK. I thought it was a follow-on to Bob Andrews' post castigating the captaincy (implied)