• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Web Podcast #34 - Accidental Ashes Preview Edition

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The XI is about unlikely players to pull off unlikely wins with great performances in both innings?

Bijed

International Regular
Literally began sipping on beers after I messaged you two

I might be missing a few podcasts now because of umpiring commitments tho.
Beginning to think this is just your own euphemism for being drunk ;)

Bijed

International Regular
Just finished it, really good stuff as ever. Was this one a bit longer than normal or something? - just felt like there was more discussed and in depth (which is a good thing ofc). Maybe it just felt like that because it had been a little while since the last one.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hearing the discussion on Tremlett was interesting. He had so much potential and was so gun for that one Ashes series. He even looked a bit like Curtley Ambrose. It's a shame injury roomed his career (from a cricket fan point of view - from an Aussie point of view it's nice we never had to face that kind of series from him on a regular basis).

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit late to this one. Good as always.

I disagree with you two about the "put them in for a few overs before stumps thing" though. More than giving the batsmen a target to aim for, I'd argue it forces them to bat a certain way for a while. The team doing the declaration doesn't have much to lose because if the two batsmen are playing for stumps (which is likely), then they essentially have 6-7 overs where the batsmen are playing purely for survival. Unless they have an ultra aggressive opener, the worst that can happen is they end up 15-0 or something. It can be a useful tactic in tight situations sometimes.

Of course that's all in theory. Whether it actually works as often as it's made out is debatable, but logically there is merit to it.