Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )

BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

I just read Dennis Lillee 's statement on cricinfo, that Mcgrath is the greatest Fats bowler ever. I have great respect for Mcgrath, and im a big fan of his bolwing. Some years ago when i used to watch cricket regularly till 99-2000, i would always put him in same category with Allan Donald, with DOnald ahed of him by considerable distance....Somw how i always thought that Mcrgath was not as Panetrative as Donald. DOnald's Aggrasiveness + plus varity as typical fast Bowler kept him ahed of Mcgrath to me.....i think he never needed team that Intimidates the oposition to get the players out where as MCgrath. (This is notmy biggest argument though )

What do you guys think about this?
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Well, seeing as Dennis Lillee is almost four years older than me and consequently is four years more senile, probably had far less upstairs to start with and got bashed around the noggin with a cricket ball on more than one occasion for his trouble (hilariously, I might add), I think that he is a silly attention whore with an even sillier moustache.

(looks in mirror, realises he has a very silly droopy moustache too).

Nope. Second-best pace bowler of the last 10 years for me too, but still a very, very good bowler.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

In my opinion the best bowler of the nineties has to be Wasim Akram, along with Waqar Younis he was a formidable bowler who sent shudders down any batsmans spine with his immense reverse swing.
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

I, personally, am torn between McGrath and Wasim Akram. They are/were both devastating fast bowlers and could send shivers down any batsman's spine.

I myself am an Indian fan and I never enjoyed watching Akram and McGrath bowl against India, because I always knew they were going to be the death of us. And more often than not, they were.

Brilliant bowlers them both.

Donald is magnificent in his own right; but I'd take Akram and McGrath over him any day.

EDIT: This is only amongst bowlers who I have myself witnessed bowling. There's a whole slew of magnificent bowlers who played before my time...
    Last edited by krkode; 24-04-2004 at 03:02 PM.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    I suppose it went from Donald and moved to Akram for me. Then again, I wasn't watching cricket for the first half of the 90's, so I wouldn't know too much.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    I think Malcolm Marshall is the best fast bowler ever. For best bowler of the 1990s it is hard to choose between Ambrose, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Donald, Pollock, McGrath, Warne and Walsh. If forced to choose I would go for Ambrose, but only by the skin of his teeth.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Undoubtedly Wasim Akram for my money, but Ambrose comes in second.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Good old Dennis Lillee - always bringing people together.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Good old Dennis Lillee - always bringing people together.
    Ha-ha. A related story goes that a college Proffessor in some town in Texas wrote a paper about how incredibly stupid the town's inhabitants were. And, yep, you guessed it. It brought them together.

Waseem Akram, Curtley Ambrose, Waqar Younis, Glenn Mcgraa, Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald, Courtney Walsh were all the very best bowlers of the 90's in their own ways.

However I shall not hesitate to say that Glenn Mcgraa is the very best fast bowler amongst them. He is the ultimate fast bowler in my eyes...he's got the strength, stamina of a champion, his accuracy and persistence is the best that I have ever seen.Infact I think he could be the most devastating fast bowler of all time.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapu Rao Swami
    Waseem Akram, Curtley Ambrose, Waqar Younis, Glenn Mcgraa, Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald, Courtney Walsh were all the very best bowlers of the 90's in their own ways.

However I shall not hesitate to say that Glenn Mcgraa is the very best fast bowler amongst them. He is the ultimate fast bowler in my eyes...he's got the strength, stamina of a champion, his accuracy and persistence is the best that I have ever seen.Infact I think he could be the most devastating fast bowler of all time.
    That's leaps and bounds over the top there!

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapu Rao Swami
    He is outstanding but so are the others. What has he got that Ambrose didn't have?

U19 Debutant
    Wasim Akram.- not just 90's either.

Waqar Younis before his injury.
    MecnunK

Consistancy is the defence of a small mind

if all the following bowlers were bowling at their best, i would pick waqar as the best off the lot; waqar,wasim,ambrose,walsh,donald,pollock,mcgrath.. ...

however, having said that, no1 bowls at their best for a whole decade....IMO, wasim akram was the best bowler of the 90's...followed by waqar,ambrose,donald,mcgrath,walsh,pollock in that order...ie

wasim
    waqar
    ambrose
    donald
    mcgrath
    walsh
    pollock

but waqar at his best was scinitilating,and no1 was close to him....wat would he be if not for the injury?

If you take every good bowler for his best, they'll all come out, more or less equal. Even Srinath, a name that hasn't come up a single time in this topic (not that I expected it to), had his good days; and on his best day, he had as good a time as McGrath and Akram on their best days. TO use another analogy, Harbhajan, on the day of his hattrick may have been magnificent. Just as good as Warne on the day of his hattrick. But is he really as good as Warne?

What really ought to separate the great from the good is these bowlers' not-so-good days. And on that note, I still stick with my initial selection: McGrath and Wasim Akram are gifts to their respective sides. Their presence always made a difference and even if they didn't grab a boat-load of wickets, they sure as hec made an impact.

With that description, it's fair to add Donald in third place for me.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information