• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

Bouncer

State Regular
I just read Dennis Lillee 's statement on cricinfo, that Mcgrath is the greatest Fats bowler ever. I have great respect for Mcgrath, and im a big fan of his bolwing. Some years ago when i used to watch cricket regularly till 99-2000, i would always put him in same category with Allan Donald, with DOnald ahed of him by considerable distance....Somw how i always thought that Mcrgath was not as Panetrative as Donald. DOnald's Aggrasiveness + plus varity as typical fast Bowler kept him ahed of Mcgrath to me.....i think he never needed team that Intimidates the oposition to get the players out where as MCgrath. (This is notmy biggest argument though :) )

What do you guys think about this?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, seeing as Dennis Lillee is almost four years older than me and consequently is four years more senile, probably had far less upstairs to start with and got bashed around the noggin with a cricket ball on more than one occasion for his trouble (hilariously, I might add), I think that he is a silly attention whore with an even sillier moustache.

(looks in mirror, realises he has a very silly droopy moustache too).

Nope. Second-best pace bowler of the last 10 years for me too, but still a very, very good bowler.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
In my opinion the best bowler of the nineties has to be Wasim Akram, along with Waqar Younis he was a formidable bowler who sent shudders down any batsmans spine with his immense reverse swing.

krkode

State Captain
I, personally, am torn between McGrath and Wasim Akram. They are/were both devastating fast bowlers and could send shivers down any batsman's spine.

I myself am an Indian fan and I never enjoyed watching Akram and McGrath bowl against India, because I always knew they were going to be the death of us. And more often than not, they were.

Brilliant bowlers them both.

Donald is magnificent in his own right; but I'd take Akram and McGrath over him any day.

EDIT: This is only amongst bowlers who I have myself witnessed bowling. There's a whole slew of magnificent bowlers who played before my time...

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
I suppose it went from Donald and moved to Akram for me. Then again, I wasn't watching cricket for the first half of the 90's, so I wouldn't know too much.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I think Malcolm Marshall is the best fast bowler ever. For best bowler of the 1990s it is hard to choose between Ambrose, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Donald, Pollock, McGrath, Warne and Walsh. If forced to choose I would go for Ambrose, but only by the skin of his teeth.

krkode

State Captain
luckyeddie said:
Good old Dennis Lillee - always bringing people together.
Ha-ha. A related story goes that a college Proffessor in some town in Texas wrote a paper about how incredibly stupid the town's inhabitants were. And, yep, you guessed it. It brought them together. :happy:

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Waseem Akram, Curtley Ambrose, Waqar Younis, Glenn Mcgraa, Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald, Courtney Walsh were all the very best bowlers of the 90's in their own ways.

However I shall not hesitate to say that Glenn Mcgraa is the very best fast bowler amongst them. He is the ultimate fast bowler in my eyes...he's got the strength, stamina of a champion, his accuracy and persistence is the best that I have ever seen.Infact I think he could be the most devastating fast bowler of all time.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Waseem Akram, Curtley Ambrose, Waqar Younis, Glenn Mcgraa, Shaun Pollock, Allan Donald, Courtney Walsh were all the very best bowlers of the 90's in their own ways.

However I shall not hesitate to say that Glenn Mcgraa is the very best fast bowler amongst them. He is the ultimate fast bowler in my eyes...he's got the strength, stamina of a champion, his accuracy and persistence is the best that I have ever seen.Infact I think he could be the most devastating fast bowler of all time.
That's leaps and bounds over the top there!

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
He is outstanding but so are the others. What has he got that Ambrose didn't have?

deeps

International 12th Man
if all the following bowlers were bowling at their best, i would pick waqar as the best off the lot; waqar,wasim,ambrose,walsh,donald,pollock,mcgrath.....

however, having said that, no1 bowls at their best for a whole decade....IMO, wasim akram was the best bowler of the 90's...followed by waqar,ambrose,donald,mcgrath,walsh,pollock in that order...ie

wasim
waqar
ambrose
donald
mcgrath
walsh
pollock

but waqar at his best was scinitilating,and no1 was close to him....wat would he be if not for the injury?

krkode

State Captain
If you take every good bowler for his best, they'll all come out, more or less equal. Even Srinath, a name that hasn't come up a single time in this topic (not that I expected it to), had his good days; and on his best day, he had as good a time as McGrath and Akram on their best days. TO use another analogy, Harbhajan, on the day of his hattrick may have been magnificent. Just as good as Warne on the day of his hattrick. But is he really as good as Warne?

What really ought to separate the great from the good is these bowlers' not-so-good days. And on that note, I still stick with my initial selection: McGrath and Wasim Akram are gifts to their respective sides. Their presence always made a difference and even if they didn't grab a boat-load of wickets, they sure as hec made an impact.

With that description, it's fair to add Donald in third place for me.

Craig

World Traveller
McGrath great? Yes. Best in the world even though he hasnt played in something like 7-9 months? IMO no. Best ever? Definatly not. Definatly biases.

This is the same guy who proposed a two-tier Test Championship.

Sudeep

International Captain
krkode said:
If you take every good bowler for his best, they'll all come out, more or less equal. Even Srinath, a name that hasn't come up a single time in this topic (not that I expected it to), had his good days; and on his best day, he had as good a time as McGrath and Akram on their best days. TO use another analogy, Harbhajan, on the day of his hattrick may have been magnificent. Just as good as Warne on the day of his hattrick. But is he really as good as Warne?

What really ought to separate the great from the good is these bowlers' not-so-good days. And on that note, I still stick with my initial selection: McGrath and Wasim Akram are gifts to their respective sides. Their presence always made a difference and even if they didn't grab a boat-load of wickets, they sure as hec made an impact.

With that description, it's fair to add Donald in third place for me.
I totally agree with McGrath and Akram as first two.

On his given day, any bowler who has managed to reached the ranks where he is selected for his country's international side, can look good.

However, it's the consistency, and as you said the performance on those bad days that sets you aside on top from the rest.

And according to that, I'll go with:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Wasim Akram
3. Curtly Ambrose

Donald, in my opinion was too inconsistent in the late 90s, to hand him the 3rd spot. He would be 5th or 6th on my list.

Last edited:

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Mcgrath only came to prominence half way through the 90s so i would rank Ambose and Akram above him for best of the 90s.