• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BEst fast Bowler of 90's?

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
I think Ambrose was damaging because of his intimidating build. He was angry, quick, and one hell of a scary looking bloke. He was a great bowler but i think he intimidated alot of the batsmen and scared them out. Mcgrath has the uncanny ability to get out the best batsmen in the team. He takes it upon himself to get out the most damaging batsmen, and he has a very good recored at doing so. Lara is his 'bunny' for a reason. Akram and waquar were both quick, and did all sorts of crap with the ball: Swing, cut, slower balls. They were good for their variation and ability to move the ball.
All have taken alot of wickets, and could be judged best in the 90's. Its a matter of opinion, but i would take mcgrath because of his determination (and ability) to remove the best batsmen on the opposing team.
i havent heard pushpakamara's name mentioned. This is ludicrous!

anzac

International Debutant
JBH001 said:
Early part of the 90's I'd say Waqar Younis.
Late 90's Glen McGrath.
But for consistency of the course of the decade I'd opt for Wasim Akram with Curtly Ambrose as a close second.

Btw, Hello all. Nice to be here and all that.
:)
agreed & I'd probably have Walsh 3rd.........

and welcome............. :D

Deja moo

International Captain
McGrath great? Yes. Best in the world even though he hasnt played in something like 7-9 months? IMO no. Best ever? Definatly not. Definatly biases.
Yeah....so Bradman shouldnt be considered the best since he hasnt played for like 50 years?

And whats wrong with a two tier championship?

Deja moo

International Captain
Originally posted by DJ Bumstuff......McGrath the best ever? That's a little over the top, don't you think? For what it's worth, Wisden did a statistical analysis of the best bowlers in the history of the game and Chuck came first, followed by Hadlee, Barnes, Warne and Grimmett. I don't know where McGrath came, but I'd be surprised if it was in the top 10
Where did South Africas Donald duck stand on the list?

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ha ha ha, you changed my name in your post..........hilarious!!! How did you come up with that? That must've taken you ages to develop, but it was well worth it! Such biting originality, such incisive wit, I am obviously a midget amongst comic giants here.

All hail orangepitch, the King of Cricket Comedy!!!

P.S. Did I nark you off in some way? If so, would you care to explain how? I don't know where Donald ranked on that list as I've only found the top 10, but I'm sure it's well before the first Indian on it.

Deja moo

International Captain
P.S. Did I nark you off in some way? If so, would you care to explain how?
Well, I thought Donald Duck was damn funnier than the" Chuck " you mentioned, dont you think ?

All hail orangepitch, the King of Cricket Comedy!!!
Awww, come on now, you embarrass me. :dry:

Ha ha ha, you changed my name in your post..........hilarious!!! How did you come up with that? That must've taken you ages to develop, but it was well worth it!
Naaah, schoolboy stuff there. In a jiffy.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
'Chuck' wasn't supposed to be funny. Believe me, I find nothing funny about someone who is about to be the world record Test wicket taker getting there on the back of an action that wouldn't be out of place at a darts tournament. Although I don't see why you're getting all huffy with me because I think Murali chucks. What has it got to do with you? Are you his mother or something? Or are you one of those 'new-age' people who can't handle someone not sharing the same view as him? In which case, will you burst into flames when I say that I don't rate Tendulkar as being the best batsman in the world?

One can only hope.................

Deja moo

International Captain
'Chuck' wasn't supposed to be funny. Believe me, I find nothing funny about someone who is about to be the world record Test wicket taker getting there on the back of an action that wouldn't be out of place at a darts tournament. Although I don't see why you're getting all huffy with me because I think Murali chucks.
Why am I getting all huffy?

Maybe bcoz Murali doesnt 'chuck ' all his deliveries.
The ICC has ruled only his doosra illegal, and thats a delivery he's developed only recently. So you cant say that he's taken all his wickets throwing his deliveries.

And as for Tendulkar, i dont consider him the best batsman now. Disappointed ?

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
orangepitch said:
Why am I getting all huffy?

Maybe bcoz Murali doesnt 'chuck ' all his deliveries.
The ICC has ruled only his doosra illegal, and thats a delivery he's developed only recently. So you cant say that he's taken all his wickets throwing his deliveries.
I disagree. In my opinion, Murali chucks everything that leaves his hand.

But thanks for finally answering my question. I'll check the box next to, "Or are you one of those 'new-age' people who can't handle someone not sharing the same view as him?"

Pity really.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Although the real question should be, "Why does he want to stuff my bum (and with what)?"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
orangepitch said:
Yeah....so Bradman shouldnt be considered the best since he hasnt played for like 50 years?
If it's current best player (as the McGrath thing) then no.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJ Bumfluff said:
I disagree. In my opinion, Murali chucks everything that leaves his hand.

And of course you know more than the UWA scientists who have tested and examined him.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Those same scientists 'cleared' Akhtar despite including in their reports that he chucks. They also said that despite chucking his doosra, Murali should be allowed to continue bowling it. Apart from the numerous queries surrounding the testing procedures, I don't think biomechanical testing is necessary in these instances and I certainly don't trust those conducting the tests, especially in light of what I said previously. Their jobs are to see whether a bowler chucks or not, not to explain it away.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJ Bumfluff said:
Those same scientists 'cleared' Akhtar despite including in their reports that he chucks.
No they said he hyper-extends - thy concluded that there was nothing wrong with his action that should prevent him bowling, hence he doesn't chuck.

DJ Bumfluff said:
They also said that despite chucking his doosra, Murali should be allowed to continue bowling it.
Again, no they didn't, they recommended changing a ruling on tolerance (which seems strange to have different levels to me) and then when that never happened said he shouldn't bowl it.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sorry, but they concluded that "with the laws as they stand" that Shoaib is "in breach of the letter but not the spirit of the laws," i.e. he chucks but it's not his fault (hyper-extension, which by definition is chucking). This is clearly written in their final report and was what motivated the "flexing thresholds" that we now have.

With regards to Murali, what is recommending that the rules be changed to accommodate an illegal delivery if not recommending that he continue bowling it?

THE G-TRAIN

Cricket Spectator
Yeh right behind you Bumfluff...but in a different way to orangepitch!
The great Kerry o'keefe recently said as Murali's tests were beginning; "Everything that goes to that place in Perth (the testing centre) gets declared straight. Boy George could go over there and told he is straight" The point is that a baseballer could go there and fire a few down and be told hes ok to keep bowling like that. Serious question, Whats to stop Murali bowling a few K's slower and just trying to straighten him arm a little more than he does in a game? I know that his normal delivery has been passed, but, how does he sleep at night? It doesnt shouldnt take all this testing and crap, just have a lokk at him. You can see he chucks it from the tv, the ground, space....anywhere. There was a kid in my cricket team once who chucked it. He literally couldnt straighten his arm during the action, so they put a brace on his arm when he bowls, and it keeps his arm straight for him. Why cant they do something similar with murali. Afraid hell take no wickets with a straight arm?