• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzimam-amongst The Current Batsmen

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
pakster said:
"

If i had to re-arrange ur list, it would look like....

1. Dravid
2. Lara
3. Tendulkar
4. Ponting
5. Hayden
6. Inzamam
7. Gilchrist
8. VVS
9. Kalis
10. Youhana (though i dont think yoyo's really worth such a acclaimed position!)

peace :)

I would put Sehwag in place of Yohanna and VVS to swap places with Gilchrist

PY

International Coach
pakster said:
1. Dravid
2. Lara
3. Tendulkar
4. Ponting
5. Hayden
6. Inzamam
7. Gilchrist
8. VVS
9. Kalis
10. Youhana
Welcome to CW. :)

I'd go with your order from the one you had to choose from except for Ponting over Tendulkar on current standings and I'd also say that you are correct by saying that Youhana shouldn't really be there. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head which would be there over him.

Having said that though he does average 49.84 in Tests.
What about him as captain of Pakistan? I've always thought he'd make a good captain as he seems to be fairly thoughtful and have a good cricketing mind.

pakster

U19 12th Man
"What about him as captain of Pakistan"

hmmmm, interesting, but in pakistan, captaincy goes hand in hand with how senior u r! Basically, the older guys have a better chance of being captain. Having said this, im not sure how old yoyo is (i am assuming he's in his mid 20's), but if hes under 30....doubt he will b captain!!
Also, i dont think he's captaincy material, he's not the type that can lead by example or put out a gutsy performance when the chips r down!!
But i guess anythings better than inzi, right?

My choice would be azhar mahmood/abdur razzaq. Both are all rounders who seem to be relativley consistent performers (says a lot about pak cricket when im calling razzaq a consistent performer!) and from what i know have a decent understanding of the game.

Azhar mahmood was actually being groomed for captain not so long ago as a successer to akram, but as usual....politics got in the way!!

Peace :)

pakster

U19 12th Man
"I dont think Azhar is good enough to guarentee a consistant place in the side"

maybe, though i think he could replace shoaib malik.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
pakster said:
"I dont think Azhar is good enough to guarentee a consistant place in the side"

maybe, though i think he could replace shoaib malik.
I don't reckon either deserve a consistent place.

Taufeeq Umar
Imran Nazir (or some other combination of openers)
Yousuf Youhana
Inzamam Ul-Haq
Yasir Hameed
Asim Kamal (I really like this guy)
Kamran Akmal (or other keeper)
Abdur Razzaq/Mohammad Sami
Shoaib Akhtar
Umar Gul/Saqlain Mushtaq (pitch dependent)
Danish Kaneria

I don't see a place for either unless you significantly weaken either department.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So from discussing Inzi's credentials as a batsmen to top ten batsmen in the world to capataincy issue in Pakistan to the selecting new Pakistan team.

Anyways IMO Inzamam is a very good batsmen of fast bowling but he isn't very comfortable against spinners.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Imran Nazir
Afridi (bowls leg spin too!)
Hameed
Inzi
Yoyo
Kamal
Akmal (WK)
Razzaq/Mahmood
Gul
Akhtar
Sami

The problem with ur team was that there were only 4 bowlers, this team has 4 bowlers with one PT bowler in afridi.

"Anyways IMO Inzamam is a very good batsmen of fast bowling but he isn't very comfortable against spinners"

i think he can play spinners relativley competently, if anything he is suspect to swing bowling.

also, what does IMO mean?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
IMO = In My Opinion.

Pakistani fans should show some patience in their current openers infact their entire batting line up of Farhat, Umar, Hameed, Yoyo, Inzi, Kamal & Akmal.I think they are pretty talented young bunch and need to be persisted with. If at Pakistan needs to worry about, it is their bowling where I hardly see any replacement for Akhtar & Sami. Shabir is too raw and lacks basic cricketing skills to play at the international level..

Also Pakistan should forget the likes of Afridi & Nazir, IMO Afridi is not an allrounder. He is a slogger who can bowl a bit. Nazir is another slogger with zero descipline in his batting. Also Pakistan should stop treating Razzaq as an allrounder. He isn't (not any more). They should also forget Azhar Mahmood and try to find some young talent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
pakster said:
Imran Nazir
Hameed
Inzi
Yoyo
Kamal
Akmal (WK)
Razzaq/Mahmood
Gul
Akhtar
Sami

The problem with ur team was that there were only 4 bowlers, this team has 4 bowlers with one PT bowler in afridi.

"Anyways IMO Inzamam is a very good batsmen of fast bowling but he isn't very comfortable against spinners"

i think he can play spinners relativley competently, if anything he is suspect to swing bowling.

also, what does IMO mean?
The problem with selecting Afridi is that at present he seems nothing more than a total liability to me with the bat.

If the four bowlers picked perform (and with Pakistan, that's a very big if), then there should be no need for a fifth.. Inzy bowls a bit of Left Arm Spin, doesn't he? :)

pakster

U19 12th Man
"Inzy bowls a bit of Left Arm Spin, doesn't he?"

lol, u know the pak bowling is bad when people r considering inzi :wacko:

"Also Pakistan should forget the likes of Afridi & Nazir, IMO Afridi is not an allrounder. "

the thing with afridi is that he's a very decent bowler and a pretty good fielder (by pak standards!!), and if he performs once a while with the bat...it can be seen as a bonus. There is something about him, he will always be in and around the pak team...he's a crowd favourite and is normally a solution for the pak selecters when they got no one else around!!

Nazir is probably the most talented batsmen in pak, unfortunatley he hasnt managed to control his temper as yet and does play some rash shots....but boy when he gets goin, cant nothing stop him!! Also nazir is the best fielder in pak and if pak need anything....its good fielders!!

I do think pak is a decent team, however unlike past pak teams they arent super-talented anymore and can no longer rely on the odd individual (wasim, waqar, anwar, ijaz) rescueing them nemore, simply because (excluding akhtar and maybe sami) they dont have that talent nemore!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
So from discussing Inzi's credentials as a batsmen to top ten batsmen in the world to capataincy issue in Pakistan to the selecting new Pakistan team.
Welcome to CW!

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Sanz said:

Anyways IMO Inzamam is a very good batsmen of fast bowling but he isn't very comfortable against spinners.

He plays Murali pretty well, but leg-spin...not as much.. but still decent.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
pakster said:
Imran Nazir
Afridi is an utter waste of space and has been given more than enough chances to prove himself. He is consistent in only one thing, failing.