• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland to poach cricketers

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inevitable I guess. Not surprising that solid first-class cricketers, but not international class, would jump at the chance to play Test cricket even for Ireland.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They should just let anyone whose name starts with " Mc " or " O' " automatically qualify for Ireland

It's hardly anything new. If they can poach even half as many cricketers as England do they'll be doing well.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Annoyingly inflammatory headline on what is actually a decent article on Irish cricket in general.

I can't decide whether using the word 'poaching' to describe sportsmen is more insulting to the sportsman, or to actual poachers. Y'know poaching involves shooting animals, right? Very rare that a white rhino gets offered a contract in Belfast.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Annoyingly inflammatory headline on what is actually a decent article on Irish cricket in general.

I can't decide whether using the word 'poaching' to describe sportsmen is more insulting to the sportsman, or to actual poachers. Y'know poaching involves shooting animals, right? Very rare that a white rhino gets offered a contract in Belfast.

it can also mean stealing animals

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit I fear for Ireland. In England we have the most professional first class cricket structure anywhere and still can't raise 11 Test quality cricketers at any one time even when poaching sub-standard foreigners.

Groundking

International Debutant
I must admit I fear for Ireland. In England we have the most professional first class cricket structure anywhere and still can't raise 11 Test quality cricketers at any one time even when poaching sub-standard foreigners.
Yeah but this is because the quality is so badly diluted by having so many teams.

Marius

International Debutant
Wonder if Ireland could join NZ as a destination of choice for promising Saffa cricketers who feel they don't have opportunity in SA.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder if Ireland could join NZ as a destination of choice for promising Saffa cricketers who feel they don't have opportunity in SA.
New Zealand? Is that where they're going now? That must be why the production line is drying up in England.