• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland to poach cricketers

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must admit I fear for Ireland. In England we have the most professional first class cricket structure anywhere and still can't raise 11 Test quality cricketers at any one time even when poaching sub-standard foreigners.
Ben Stokes substandard?

Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Strauss substandard?

harsh

Firebreaker

Banned
Another team which is really good in poaching is Netherlands.They have poached players of 2nd XI of NZ and SA domestic teams

TheJediBrah

Another team which is really good in poaching is Netherlands.They have poached players of 2nd XI of NZ and SA domestic teams
They've had at least 4 Australians play for them over the last couple of years as well. Tom Cooper, Ben Cooper, Tim van der Gugten & Michael Swart.

One wonders if there are any actual Dutchmen in the team

Firebreaker

Banned
They've had at least 4 Australians play for them over the last couple of years as well. Tom Cooper, Ben Cooper, Tim van der Gugten & Michael Swart.

One wonders if there are any actual Dutchmen in the team
They do have some Dutch players like Gruijters,Seelaar,Paul van Meekeren which are decent enough players for an Associates.Tbh most of these players are of Dutch ancestry so it makes a bit sense for them to play for Netherlands unlike players we have in UAE(regrettably),Oman and some other GCC countries

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Whats a mang.....and why have you got narky over what i said?

Im just pointing out the neither Stokes nor Strauss really fit with the idea of poaching. Maybe you need to chill.

TheJediBrah

Whats a mang.....and why have you got narky over what i said?

Im just pointing out the neither Stokes nor Strauss really fit with the idea of poaching. Maybe you need to chill.
lol sorry "mang" isn't an insult

it means "man", as in "dude" or "bro"

calm down there's nothing to be upset about we're just joking

cnerd123

likes this
I hope Ireland becomes a Test nation filled with gritty professionals from around the world who were deemed not good enough for Tests but are determined to prove that wrong.

Would also be cool if we saw really talented cricketers from other Associate nations also move to Ireland as a way of playing Tests.

Test cricket needs a tough, consistent, if less-talented Test nation. Kinda like what Zimbabwe were in the 90s, or New Zealand were for a while before they became the hyper talented, under-delivering side they are now.

TheJediBrah

I hope Ireland becomes a Test nation filled with gritty professionals from around the world who were deemed not good enough for Tests but are determined to prove that wrong.

Would also be cool if we saw really talented cricketers from other Associate nations also move to Ireland as a way of playing Tests.

Test cricket needs a tough, consistent, if less-talented Test nation. Kinda like what Zimbabwe were in the 90s, or New Zealand were for a while before they became the hyper talented, under-delivering side they are now.
They should have done something like this years ago, like have an "Associates XI" side where all the best players from Non-Test nations play against other International sides, in official Test Matches. That would have been pretty cool.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well yes, because youve said it twice now and Ive said nothing that should have given you the impression that i was getting cranky........so Im thinkig you're trying to make a thing where there is no thing.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Annoyingly inflammatory headline on what is actually a decent article on Irish cricket in general.

I can't decide whether using the word 'poaching' to describe sportsmen is more insulting to the sportsman, or to actual poachers. Y'know poaching involves shooting animals, right? Very rare that a white rhino gets offered a contract in Belfast.
They could always try and lure Ryan Harris out of retirement.

Victor Ian

International Coach
They should have done something like this years ago, like have an "Associates XI" side where all the best players from Non-Test nations play against other International sides, in official Test Matches. That would have been pretty cool.
Loving this idea. Get Pakistan back home and let those Emirates be the home of the associates.

TheJediBrah

Well yes, because youve said it twice now and Ive said nothing that should have given you the impression that i was getting cranky........so Im thinkig you're trying to make a thing where there is no thing.
I just assumed you had an issue with what was being said given you commented on it several times, and kept doing so even when it was explained to you that it was a joke. Of course I'm going to assume that you don't understand and I was trying to, very politely, clear it up for you. And now you're still going on about it.

No one cares if you're upset or not, just let it go. If you're not upset or "cranky", that's fine. I'm sorry I implied that you were.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Test cricket needs a tough, consistent, if less-talented Test nation. Kinda like what Zimbabwe were in the 90s,
Interestingly, Zimbabwe in the 90s went on something of a recruitment drive, approaching Zimbabwean-born players who were plying their trade in other countries. That's how Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin ended up playing for them, although I can't remember if there were any others. I think they also approached Steve Elworthy and Dale Benkenstein, but were turned down because those two felt they had a chance at playing for South Africa instead, which they duly did, whereas Goodwin was unlikely to ever play for Australia and Johnson was never going to break into a team already containing Kallis, Pollock, and Klusener.

flibbertyjibber

I must admit I fear for Ireland. In England we have the most professional first class cricket structure anywhere and still can't raise 11 Test quality cricketers at any one time even when poaching sub-standard foreigners.
I bet they could get a very good attack together to exploit the conditions though even if the batting may be a little suspect. Absolutely no idea of the backgrounds of them but imagine if someone like Liam Norwell was available. Never going to play for England but has a career average of 26 with the ball so clearly can exploit conditions given the chance.

Might be the best way for Sam Northeast to play test cricket too.:laugh: