• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh Tour of South Africa 2017

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember a few years ago when our (Aus) injury list seemed to be more of a book. Somehow South Africa is managing worse than that.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I remember a few years ago when our (Aus) injury list seemed to be more of a book. Somehow South Africa is managing worse than that.
South Africa did have a good run in terms of injuries in that there weren't too many long-term injuries to the quick bowlers - it generally seemed to be the sort that ruled them out for a game or two at most. But what that did mean is that the next tier of bowlers didn't get to play much, which was quite possibly one of the factors that contributed to them going Kolpak (although obviously there were other reasons).

But now age is starting to catch up with Steyn, Philander, and Morkel, so when they've been out they've been out for longer and the absence of the Kolpak players has meant bringing in players who lack experience and quite possibly aren't up to the task (either not yet or perhaps never will be). We can be critical of Parnell's selection, but if not him then who else? It's not as though there are too many other bowlers demanding to be picked.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Dean Elgar needs another 85 runs to topple Cheteshwar Pujara as the leading run-getter in Tests in 2017. A good start from the experienced opener would immediately put Bangladesh's young pace attack on the back foot.
Interesting, still a long way before the year ends, and Elgars improvement has been good to see (he avg 45 his year compared to his 38 career). But I do wonder about the overall state of batsmen if Elgar is the leading run scorer at end of year. Not like he has blown the oppostion away.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They are going full meme and selecting Phelukwayo aren't they?
If Gibson is so absolutely determined to have an allrounder at 7 then Phelukwayo will play. To early but at least against Bangaldesh at home he has a chance to not come completely undone. Philander at 7 makes sense, what then bothers is that Olivier is nothing but a placeholder for the return of Steyn or another bowler that stands up, unfortunately he is not long term test player, I have lost my enthusiasm for him. Hopefully we are all wrong and de Bruyn gets picked, Markram can bowl a few overs if needed.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting, still a long way before the year ends, and Elgars improvement has been good to see (he avg 45 his year compared to his 38 career). But I do wonder about the overall state of batsmen if Elgar is the leading run scorer at end of year. Not like he has blown the oppostion away.
Chuffed for him really. Shows you his determination and will to succeed. In the past players knew if they didn't crack it at test level their international or money-making ability as well as testing yourself is over if you fail. Elgar said that in interviews this week.

Now lots of players know they can fall back on T20 money. How much will is there to succeed in all conditions and push yourself to get better at test cricket. It is an interesting question.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If Gibson is so absolutely determined to have an allrounder at 7 then Phelukwayo will play. To early but at least against Bangaldesh at home he has a chance to not come completely undone. Philander at 7 makes sense, what then bothers is that Olivier is nothing but a placeholder for the return of Steyn or another bowler that stands up, unfortunately he is not long term test player, I have lost my enthusiasm for him. Hopefully we are all wrong and de Bruyn gets picked, Markram can bowl a few overs if needed.
One problem with picking an all-rounder at seven is that it makes things tricky when De Villiers comes back. If they go with seven batsmen then it's an easy swap with De Villiers coming in for De Bruyn. But with only six batsmen, who makes way? Bavuma's the only one who could realistically make way for cricketing reasons, but we all know that there are other reasons behind his selection.

And I think I mentioned it before, but if the desire for an all-rounder is so strong then why has Dwaine Pretorius been ignored? I'm not saying that he's necessarily any better than Phehlukwayo, but he does at least have the backing of a good first class record, and since Mulder was pencilled in as cover for Parnell, it doesn't seem like a skin colour issue.

SeamUp

International Coach
One problem with picking an all-rounder at seven is that it makes things tricky when De Villiers comes back. If they go with seven batsmen then it's an easy swap with De Villiers coming in for De Bruyn. But with only six batsmen, who makes way? Bavuma's the only one who could realistically make way for cricketing reasons, but we all know that there are other reasons behind his selection.

And I think I mentioned it before, but if the desire for an all-rounder is so strong then why has Dwaine Pretorius been ignored? I'm not saying that he's necessarily any better than Phehlukwayo, but he does at least have the backing of a good first class record, and since Mulder was pencilled in as cover for Parnell, it doesn't seem like a skin colour issue.
I reckon they may be going to a system now where looking at franchise/provincial records doesn't matter because the quality is not what it was.

Personally I just don't think Pretorius is international standard from watching him. Maybe T20s.

Mulder with the right guidance will score international 100s in time. The bowling needs work though but its not like the tools aren't there.

Also I think Bavuma and de Bruyn could be under pressure for AB ? Maybe why they pushing Lucky for 7.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
One problem with picking an all-rounder at seven is that it makes things tricky when De Villiers comes back.
While this is true, from a pure balance point of view with the w/k being a top six batsmen. A quality allrounder at 7 makes perfect sense. Whether we have a good enough/experienced enough allrounder; well we shall see... I have always been an advocate of best 6 batsmen, 4 bowlers and wk, but if one of your batsmen can bowl, or your wk can bat top 6 then that allows for a bit of flexibility.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I reckon they may be going to a system now where looking at franchise/provincial records doesn't matter because the quality is not what it was.
It could be, although even if those records are deemed less useful, a player who has a better record would probably still stand a better chance at making it at international level.

Also I think Bavuma and de Bruyn could be under pressure for AB ? Maybe why they pushing Lucky for 7.
Good point about Bavuma. With Phehlukwayo coming into the team there's another black player, which creates a bit more flexibility and it becomes less essential to keep Bavuma - I know that the numbers don't have to match up in every single match, but it makes it a lot easier if they do.

Dendarii

International Debutant
During the singing of the South African national anthem there was a shot of the coaching staff, and it appeared that Gibson was singing (or at least trying to sing) the anthem. I don't feel that he's obligated to do so, but good on him for making the effort if that's what he was doing, especially since it's not necessarily that easy to learn.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Taijul not playing makes me sad. It might end up the right call, but he's so much better than their non-Fizzy seamers that it just seems like some sort of injustice. I guess you get the same thing when Australia tour Asia and Agar plays ahead of quicks ten times better than him, but it seems like more of a shame when it balance issues force this sort of thing upon developing sides.