• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength side?

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength XI?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • He would be 12th man for the Tasmanian 3rd XI.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With a fully fit Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson and Bird would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's team, if he was available for selection?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean seriously stephen, even through your green and gold tinted glasses you must see that this isn't even debatable?? Jimmy would be the first named bowler for Aus,

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
They'd have probably binned him by now
Well realistically I guess he wouldn't have lasted through those early crap years with Australia, but if you're looking at the bowler that he is now he'd be the first bowler named on any team sheet except South Africa.........where he'd be the second named.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well realistically I guess he wouldn't have lasted through those early crap years with Australia, but if you're looking at the bowler that he is now he'd be the first bowler named on any team sheet except South Africa.........where he'd be the second named.
Nah they'd have binned him like they did Siddle, about two years ago because they'd think he doesn't bowl fast enough any more.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
They never had an issue with G Mcgraths pace. Even Aus dont drop bowlers that are consistently taking poles just because they dont hit 150 clicks.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So if McGrath was playing now are you saying they would drop him to fit in a Cummins or Patto?

****ing madness if so.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, I'm saying if Jimmy Anderson was Australian he'd have been dropped a few years ago, probably around the last Ashes series here or just after when his pace was down and he wasn't taking a heap of poles (averaging 30 odd then or whatever it was). It's the same thing they did with Siddle.

They wouldn't have done it with McGrath because he's McGrath.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Almost any discussion about the worth of Anderson is usually a thinly veiled discussion of the worth of swing bowling in general.

That is a rather effective measure of how much he has mastered his craft.

It's also a reminder that when a certain subset of Australians continue to not rate him they continue to miss out on another aspect of Test cricket that doesn't fit their rigid mould. Compare for example their treatment of any offspinner, even the one who was the greatest bowler in cricket.

Hit ball hard. Bowl ball fast. All else is worthless.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Almost any discussion about the worth of Anderson from an Aussie pov is also about how his career would have been like Rhino's. Disregarded till 2010, drafted into first XI in 2012-13 and retired in 2018 after playing 40 tests with an average of 25.

Gob

International Coach
I expect this thread to travel as well as Jimmy's bowling when it's not swinging ftr.