• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength side?

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength XI?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • He would be 12th man for the Tasmanian 3rd XI.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
Look mate. Jimmy Anderson is currently ranked No 1 in the world. Since the start of 2014 he has taken 166 wickets at 20.78 FFS. He's had a 14 year career and missed **** all test cricket through injury for all of it.

Afaic since the retirement of Glenn McGrath he is the 2nd best quick after Steyn and you are telling me that Australia has 4 bowlers better than him?? **** off......and **** off with this meme quartet. We've been hearing about it since Cummins debut 5 years ago FFS. It;s a pipe dream and likely will never happen because they are all made of glass...........if there is one thing Australia needs more than pace it is a durable bowler that they can get on the park every game.
Why are you so defensive?

Jimmy Anderson has been god like for many years whilst playing in England and should be in the mix for the greatest performing bowler in English soil that includes the likes of Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee whatever there's no question but he has been nothing more than an average performer outside of it for many years. There were some good performances admittedly such as the Ashes 10/11 and England's triumph in India when he was instrumental but those performances are few and far between.

As i said he would be the first picked in England and if we are playing in the subcontinent i might pick him over Hazlewood might not its a close call but in Australia its an absolute no go and same would probably the case in SA and any talk of him being the first picked irrespective of the conditions is trash talk. I just can't fathom him ever pulling of a series in the subcontinent like the one Starc did in SL nor the one Johnson had in 13/14 in Australia. There are many good things to be said about James Anderson but lets not make him something that he isn't.

This thread is also not at the best taste. The bloke has just achieved something only one fast bowler has ever done previously so its deffo not the best timing. Poor form all around.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Statsguru is rubbish on mobile so can't check but I'd say average performer outside of England must be wide of the mark.

His overall average has plummeted year on year, and as Adders said he's averaged bloody 20 everywhere for the last three years.

But he has had some great home series in that time so maybe I'm wrong.

Groundking

International Debutant
Statsguru is rubbish on mobile so can't check but I'd say average performer outside of England must be wide of the mark.

His overall average has plummeted year on year, and as Adders said he's averaged bloody 20 everywhere for the last three years.

Since the start of 2014 he's taken 44 wickets away from home at 25.84 including 10 innings in India and South Africa when he was coming back from injury having missed the start of the South African series with a calf injury, and India (whilst also missing out on potential stats padding in Bangladesh) with his shoulder problem. On top of that in the Sydney test in 2014 he took 3 wickets at 37.66 whilst playing with a broken ****ing rib.

The two series he was uninjured for, West Indies in 2015 and Pakistan in the UAE in 2016 he took 17 wickets @ 18.00 and 13 wickets @ 15.61 respectively.

The dude is head and shoulders above the Australian bowlers right now, and whilst they might end up with better careers (highly doubt it) when it's all said and done, right now none of them are a better bowler than Jimmy Anderson. The only two pace lads in world cricket that are in the same league are Philander and Steyn, both of whom spend more time off the pitch than on it.

Gob

International Coach
Man if people only could read and understand stuff. Wouldn't that be great

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok gob, lets stop beating around the bush with this ****e.

Do you rate any of the Aussie quicks higher than Jimmy Anderson in all conditions around the world. Yes or No?

Gob

International Coach

Not everywhere tbh. Numbers of his most recent visits to Australia, South Africa and India respectively read as 43, 43 and 53.

Gob

International Coach

Do you rate any of the Aussie quicks higher than Jimmy Anderson in all conditions around the world. Yes or No?
In some i do in some i don't

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look mate. Jimmy Anderson is currently ranked No 1 in the world. Since the start of 2014 he has taken 166 wickets at 20.78 FFS. He's had a 14 year career and missed **** all test cricket through injury for all of it.

Afaic since the retirement of Glenn McGrath he is the 2nd best quick after Steyn and you are telling me that Australia has 4 bowlers better than him?? **** off......and **** off with this meme quartet. We've been hearing about it since Cummins debut 5 years ago FFS. It;s a pipe dream and likely will never happen because they are all made of glass...........if there is one thing Australia needs more than pace it is a durable bowler that they can get on the park every game.
Why so angry?

You're the only one who has responded to this with anger.

As I tried to explain earlier, I wanted a discussion about whether he would be in the Aussie side given his age, if all of the Aussie bowlers were fit.

Good on him for taking 500 wickets and hitting the number 1 bowler ranking. He's thoroughly cleaned up in the last few years, especially at home.

But that's not what I've asked. I asked whether he'd make Australia's team, given half his tests would be in Australia and with the big 4 young quicks available. Can you not see how that's at least an interesting question?

stephen

Since the start of 2014 he's taken 44 wickets away from home at 25.84 including 10 innings in India and South Africa when he was coming back from injury having missed the start of the South African series with a calf injury, and India (whilst also missing out on potential stats padding in Bangladesh) with his shoulder problem. On top of that in the Sydney test in 2014 he took 3 wickets at 37.66 whilst playing with a broken ****ing rib.

The two series he was uninjured for, West Indies in 2015 and Pakistan in the UAE in 2016 he took 17 wickets @ 18.00 and 13 wickets @ 15.61 respectively.

The dude is head and shoulders above the Australian bowlers right now, and whilst they might end up with better careers (highly doubt it) when it's all said and done, right now none of them are a better bowler than Jimmy Anderson. The only two pace lads in world cricket that are in the same league are Philander and Steyn, both of whom spend more time off the pitch than on it.
Rabada?

Looking at Anderson since the 2013 home Ashes series he's played 30 home tests and 17 away/neutral tests. Combining his away and neutral stats over that time he averages just a tick under 30. At home he's averaging 20 in the same time period. His tours to Australia, India and South Africa he averaged over 43.

I think it's fair to say that like Ashwin/Jadeja he's an ATG at home and first pick in those conditions. But just like it's fair to ask if you'd pick a different spinner outside Asia, it's fair to ask whether you'd pick a different quick outside England.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He's just keeping the seat warm until Lyon is finally recognised for his greatness.

stephen

Man I'm looking forward to seeing Cummins on Australian decks. I think he'll be our standout bowler this summer if he's fit.

His performance on the Indian and Bangladeshi wickets this winter has been phenomenal.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is also not at the best taste. The bloke has just achieved something only one fast bowler has ever done previously so its deffo not the best timing. Poor form all around.
Pretty much all that needs to be said about this thread. Bloke takes his 500th wicket, plus a few, and all a particular person can do is pose a fruitless question about whether he would play for a country he isn't from. No wonder some people react with a bit of frustration. Who cares if he'd be picked for Australia.

tooextracool

International Coach
With a fully fit Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson and Bird would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's team, if he was available for selection?
Is the sample size for these players even appropriate to be able to make a proper assessment? Cummins has played 5 tests, Bird has played 8 and Pattinson has played 17 but he hasn't bowled in a test match for almost 2 years. At best, the majority of these players are unknowns, so I am not sure why they should be considered over someone with 500+ test wickets.

As far as Hazlewood is concerned, I would pick Anderson over him basically anywhere else in the world except perhaps Australia. Even in Australia, I think it would be a close call because I think Hazlewood's stats benefit from bowling against touring sides with little experience in Australian conditions (much like Anderson's do in England).

Spark

Global Moderator

In all conditions? No. In Australian conditions, Hazlewood is exceptional. Like, Ryan Harris standard.

I don't know why the goalposts keep getting moved in this thread, the OP was pretty clear IMO.

Pretty much all that needs to be said about this thread. Bloke takes his 500th wicket, plus a few, and all a particular person can do is pose a fruitless question about whether he would play for a country he isn't from. No wonder some people react with a bit of frustration. Who cares if he'd be picked for Australia.
That's fair, but Adders going off his nut at people isn't great either.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible

Only averages less than 30 in England, U.A.E. and West Indies.

Away/Neutral - 171 @ 33.46

Australia 43 @ 38.44
India 26 @ 33.46
NZ 18 @ 36.27
Pakistan (UAE) 22 @ 20.54
SA 25 @ 39.92
SL 11 @ 40.72
WI 26 @ 24.92

Since 2010 Away/Neutral - 127 @ 29.24

Au 38 @ 32.63
India 16 @ 36.06
NZ 10 @ 37
Pakisatan (UAE) 22 @ 20.54
SA 15 @ 38.20
SL 9 @ 21.77
WI 17 @ 18

Good but not exactly best of the best outside of England.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The OP just asked if he would make the side, he didn't specify against whom or where.

Appologies if Im coming accross as going off my nut, Im not but i guess thats the limitations of this form of comunication.......i can see how it may appear like that.

MW nailed it as "frustration".......frustration because the OP has a history of not recognising or crediting anything outside of Australia. This is a dire thread and the timing of it is rank. Stephen can dress it up however he likes and talk about meanigful discussion but it's all bull****.

The whole subtext is along the lines of your Greatest Pommy bowler with 500 test poles wouldnt even make our current 11 if they were all fit and firing.

OverratedSanity

Depends on team balance. Cummins, Starc and Hazelwood are no brainers because of how well they'll bowl at home but if they wanted to pick a fourth seamer, Anderson would make it over any other Australian quick. If Australia wanted a second spinner or an allrounder he'd be left out.

I don't get it. I think it could be an interesting discussion about whether you'd pick a guy who's in the middle of a purple patch but at the end of his career, over some very promising but not as proven quicks who have fitness issues.

Threads like Curtly Ambrose vs James Anderson are clearly taking the piss but this one is fair enough imo.

TheJediBrah

Lol such a **** stirring thread

In all seriousness if they were playing in Australia maybe he wouldn't make the side but who knows

The OP just asked if he would make the side, he didn't specify against whom or where.

Appologies if Im coming accross as going off my nut, Im not but i guess thats the limitations of this form of comunication.......i can see how it may appear like that.

MW nailed it as "frustration".......frustration because the OP has a history of not recognising or crediting anything outside of Australia. This is a dire thread and the timing of it is rank. Stephen can dress it up however he likes and talk about meanigful discussion but it's all bull****.

The whole subtext is along the lines of your Greatest Pommy bowler with 500 test poles wouldnt even make our current 11 if they were all fit and firing.
If anyone was going to fall for this terrible attempt at trolling it was you

have a kit kat

TheJediBrah

Pretty disrespectful of Jimmy to suggest he wouldn't be picked ahead of guys who have played less than 10 Tests, but the funny kind of disrespectful

Stephen is known for having a massive hard-on for all Aussie quicks (including Bird) though