• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength side?

Would Jimmy Anderson make Australia's full strength XI?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • He would be 12th man for the Tasmanian 3rd XI.

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah look it would be a bold claim to say that Anderson would have averaged sub-30 over the last 4 years bowling more than half his overs on Australian pitches. And with good reason; he doesn't bowl as if he's going to bowl half his overs in Australian conditions, why would he?

Picking a World XI and picking a specific team XI are completely different tasks. An attack of Ashwin, Jadeja, Anderson, and Rabada might be the current World XI attack, but you wouldn't take 20 wickets too often on normal Australian pitches when Rabada doesn't fire.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Here is the complete list of touring bowlers who have taken more than 10 wickets in Australia in the last decade. It's just a really hard place to return consistently excellent figures in if you don't play here all the time (as is the case with India, and sometimes the case with England). Dale Steyn, who IMO has been the clear standout touring bowler in Australia during the last 10-15 years, averages 29.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd help Australia finally win an away Ashes and for that he'd defs be in the side

flibbertyjibber

If they decided to bin him off to pick the meme quartet then him and Lyon would be back for next game after a couple broke down injured again.

Gob

International Coach
None of Starc, Hazelwood or Pattinson are in a state to play aws. Will be hilarious if Cummins breaks down in India and Australia ends up with Siddle, Bird and Sayers for Brisbane.

flibbertyjibber

None of Starc, Hazelwood or Pattinson are in a state to play aws. Will be hilarious if Cummins breaks down in India and Australia ends up with Siddle, Bird and Sayers for Brisbane.
How bad was the Hazlewood injury? Was it the same as Woakes, if so he may be a doubt for Brisbane or at least undercooked going in.

Spark

Global Moderator
How bad was the Hazlewood injury? Was it the same as Woakes, if so he may be a doubt for Brisbane or at least undercooked going in.
Side strain, apparently he'll be out for a month. The Shield fixtures start on the 26th of October (and there are three rounds before the first Test), so he should be back in time for those.

flibbertyjibber

Side strain, apparently he'll be out for a month. The Shield fixtures start on the 26th of October (and there are three rounds before the first Test), so he should be back in time for those.
Yeah, doesn't sound as bad then as straight away they said 6-8 weeks with Woakes and it was a bit longer.

Gob

International Coach
Side strain apparently and will take about a month to be back on bowling. No idea about what Woakes's was

Gob

International Coach
All of them should be fit on time. Its the amount of cricket under their belts that matters. I'd really hate to see an undercooked Starc trying to find his feat in the first test.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd hope Haze is fit by then, although he won't have much playing time behind him. The other two have fundamental issues that don't seem to be going away in a hurry.
Hopefully they'd pick Behrendorff over Siddle. Heck I'd take Tremain or even Worrall over Siddle these days.

As for the original question, thinking of matches in Australia, it depends if you're talking 2010-11 Anderson or (not-fully-fit) 2013-14 Anderson. Frankly I might take him over Starc, but probably not over (fit) Patto or Haze. Considering Cummins hasn't played a home test I won't decide on that one. As for our backups, who knows? The conditions are such a big deal that I think it makes the exercise a bit pointless.

As for tests in England he gets in without a second thought.

stephen

Is this a joke question?
It has a joke answer, but it's not a joke question.

I mean seriously stephen, even through your green and gold tinted glasses you must see that this isn't even debatable?? Jimmy would be the first named bowler for Aus,
I was genuine. I wanted to provoke a discussion about the worth of a fast bowler pushing 30 vs 4 talented young quicks in their prime who all have different styles. Anderson's style of bowling notoriously doesn't travel very well so I also wanted discussion about the merits of that vs the meme 4.

Honestly, myself I think the selectors would be tapping Anderson on the shoulder and telling him to retire after these Ashes. I think he'd play and Hazlewood would be the bowler whose career would have been held back by his presence. After this Ashes series he'd either be dropped or forced to retire.

I might add that I think the last few comments in particular has been the kind of discussion I wanted to generate.

stephen

You'd hope Haze is fit by then, although he won't have much playing time behind him. The other two have fundamental issues that don't seem to be going away in a hurry.
Hopefully they'd pick Behrendorff over Siddle. Heck I'd take Tremain or even Worrall over Siddle these days.

As for the original question, thinking of matches in Australia, it depends if you're talking 2010-11 Anderson or (not-fully-fit) 2013-14 Anderson. Frankly I might take him over Starc, but probably not over (fit) Patto or Haze. Considering Cummins hasn't played a home test I won't decide on that one. As for our backups, who knows? The conditions are such a big deal that I think it makes the exercise a bit pointless.

As for tests in England he gets in without a second thought.
I thought Starc and Pattinson were both due to be back well and truly in time for the Ashes. If Cummins survives the trip to India then all 4 would theoretically be available for the first test and would have shield matches to play (geez I'd hate to be playing against NSW that round).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Anderson would definitely make the side. For one, his durability over the past eight years means that he would have been part of the attack the whole time.

Starfighter

I thought Starc and Pattinson were both due to be back well and truly in time for the Ashes. If Cummins survives the trip to India then all 4 would theoretically be available for the first test and would have shield matches to play (geez I'd hate to be playing against NSW that round).
It's more that their problems seem to keep reoccurring with clock-like regularity. Or it feels like that anyway. Especially Pattinson's back - not that Starc's three occurrences of foot stress fractures in two years is far behind.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This has the false premise of 4 young quicks playing together. As proven by these very 4, they can not stay fit long enough to ever play together. Jimmy would have been the glue that the others fired around while each was not broken. Yes, he'd be a different bowler if he came through Australia, but he would have made it, and done well.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It has a joke answer, but it's not a joke question.

Look mate. Jimmy Anderson is currently ranked No 1 in the world. Since the start of 2014 he has taken 166 wickets at 20.78 FFS. He's had a 14 year career and missed **** all test cricket through injury for all of it.

Afaic since the retirement of Glenn McGrath he is the 2nd best quick after Steyn and you are telling me that Australia has 4 bowlers better than him?? **** off......and **** off with this meme quartet. We've been hearing about it since Cummins debut 5 years ago FFS. It;s a pipe dream and likely will never happen because they are all made of glass...........if there is one thing Australia needs more than pace it is a durable bowler that they can get on the park every game.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's a lot of talk about Anderson's fitness and the other bowlers lack of it, but as I read the OP that's not relevant.
The question assumes that all the bowlers available to Australia are fully fit and firing.