• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the decades in terms of cricket quality

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
All-rounders: '70s.
I slightly prefer it over the '80s: Grieg; young Botham at his peak towards the end before he became a pie chucker; tail end of Sobers (v Rest of the World).

Bowling: '50s
All those English bowlers; Wes Hall and Lance Gibbs etc etc. Runner up would be the '80s or '90s.

Batting: '30s (Bradman and Hammond) or maybe the Golden Age era: reading the historical accounts (cough, Cardus) you always read about the supremely elegant batsmen, people like Trumper and Woolley. They are always talked of in romantic terms, as if batting went **** up when the first world war happened and has never been the same since.

AndrewB

I'm talking strictly tests, yes. And due to that i'll ignore the county legend status most of those bowlers you mentioned had, and people like Appleyard too who didn't get to play enough tests but could have easily been a legend. I'll also ignore any all-rounders(Bailey) and any players who debuted in 59 and were therefore more like '60s players'. Yes that's cheating a bit, but it also leaves me without Illingworth to pad my legends list.

English bowlers who played a test from 50-58

Legends:

Bedser
Laker
Wardle
Statham
Trueman
Lock
Tyson
Titmus

Others(amongst them some county legends)

Loader
Mcconnon
Moss
Shackleton
Hilton
Warr
Tattersall
Jenkins
Ridgeway
Appleyard
Brown

Anyway, everything you said was all well and good Howe. You're probably right. But I still find it fascinating the % of ATG bowlers England used in the 50s.
Illingworth played in 1958, and I think you've overlooked Bob Berry, Eric Hollies and Eddie Leadbeater.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Is there any correlation between the good reputation of the bowlers of the 1950s and the crackdown on chucking in the early 1960s? :ph34r:

AndrewB

All-rounders: '70s.
I slightly prefer it over the '80s: Grieg; young Botham at his peak towards the end before he became a pie chucker; tail end of Sobers (v Rest of the World).

Bowling: '50s
All those English bowlers; Wes Hall and Lance Gibbs etc etc. Runner up would be the '80s or '90s.
Hall & Gibbs were both 60s bowlers really; they each played 8 Tests in the 50s and 40+ in the 60s. (Gibbs of course carried on into the 70s). The top wicket-takers in the 50s were:

Aus: Benaud, Lindwall, Miller, Johnston, Davidson
Eng: Laker, Statham, Bedser, Trueman, Lock, Bailey, Wardle, Tyson
SA: Tayfield, Adcock
WI: Ramadhin, Valentine
Ind: Gupte, Mankad
PK: Fazal

which isn't a bad list. (Trueman and Davidson did take more wickets in the 60s, though only marginally in Davidson's case).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 90s was the best overall for the following reasons:

The West Indies were finally beaten and Australia ascended.
Australia, the West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa (and later on Sri Lanka) all had all time great bowlers.
Australia, the West Indies, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka all had some amazing/ATG batsmen.
The '99 World Cup (not tests but it was the most competitive World Cup of all IMO).
South Africa were readmitted.

Consequently I think the 90s were the best era for world bowling. The 00s were the best era for world batting, though I'd love to have seen Bradman bat.

mr_mister

how many terrific bowling attacks can we make out of the 50s and 90s

50s:

Lindwall
Trueman
Bedser
Laker

Davidson
Tyson
Statham
Lock

Fazal
Adcock
Miller
Tayfield

Johnston
Bailey
Benaud
Ramadhin

with a noticeable drop off for the 4th side

90s

McGrath
Ambrose
Wasim
Warne

Donald
Waqar
Walsh
Murali

Pollock
Shoaib
Streak
Kumble

Srinath
Gough
Bishop
Mushtaq

There's not much in it

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 90s was the best overall for the following reasons:

The West Indies were finally beaten and Australia ascended.
Australia, the West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa (and later on Sri Lanka) all had all time great bowlers.
Australia, the West Indies, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka all had some amazing/ATG batsmen.
The '99 World Cup (not tests but it was the most competitive World Cup of all IMO).
South Africa were readmitted.

Consequently I think the 90s were the best era for world bowling. The 00s were the best era for world batting, though I'd love to have seen Bradman bat.
In my life time :

Overall: 90s
Batting : 2000
Bowling: 90s
Agree with these.

90s bowling was so good, which in turn necessitated great batting to counter it.

2000s had plenty of incredibly prolific and statistically successful batting, but when taking into account the dearth of bowling quality and generally flatter wickets it loses its luster

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

50s:

Lindwall
Trueman
Bedser
Laker

Davidson
Tyson
Statham
Lock

Fazal
Adcock
Miller
Tayfield

Johnston
Bailey
Benaud
Ramadhin

90s

McGrath
Ambrose
Wasim
Warne

Donald
Waqar
Walsh
Murali

Pollock
Shoaib
Streak
Kumble

Srinath
Gough
Bishop
Mushtaq

There's not much in it
In the 90s the noticeable drop off is definitely for the 3rd side not the 4th.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

50s:

Lindwall
Trueman
Bedser
Laker

Davidson
Tyson
Statham
Lock

Fazal
Adcock
Miller
Tayfield

Johnston
Bailey
Benaud
Ramadhin

90s

McGrath
Ambrose
Wasim
Warne

Donald
Waqar
Walsh
Murali

Pollock
Shoaib
Streak
Kumble

Srinath
Gough
Bishop
Mushtaq

There's not much in it
Vaas needs to be there.

_00_deathscar

International Regular

50s:

Lindwall
Trueman
Bedser
Laker

Davidson
Tyson
Statham
Lock

Fazal
Adcock
Miller
Tayfield

Johnston
Bailey
Benaud
Ramadhin

90s

McGrath
Ambrose
Wasim
Warne

Donald
Waqar
Walsh
Murali

Pollock
Shoaib
Streak
Kumble

Srinath
Gough
Bishop
Mushtaq

There's not much in it
Reckon you could get a few more out of that.

Fanie de Villiers - would have loved to have seen him play more, underrated player.
Chaminda Vaas - but don't recall how much of him was in the 90s vs 00s.
Chris Cairns

90s had some top bowling talent.

Last edited:

stephen

Not only did the 90s have some really good bowlers but they were fairly evenly distributed amongst the non-Indian sides.