• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Sim League V

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
In a nutshell, this version of the sim league will be all about the (relatively) unsung heroes of cricket's modern era. Players that weren't quite ATGs, but were on the tier just below. It's also about adding fresh new faces to the league.

Towards the end of the previous sim league I realized that there are roughly 250+ players in the ICC '13 database from the pre-ODI era alone. From the 80's onwards, the database becomes even more inclusive, so I've decided to run the 5th version of the sim league along these guidelines:

Firstly, this is a nation vs nation tournament. It will be an ODI tournament, featuring players who played one day cricket between 1986 - 2009. There will be no draft stage preceding this tournament, if you wish to join you can simply choosethe nation you wish to manage & post your selected squad of 14 straight away.

However, there is a catch. The top 8 Test nations will be handicapped by a restriction on which players they can select.

If you choose to manage Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka or the West Indies, the players in your squad must meet the following criteria.

- Must have played at least one ODI between 1986 - 2009.
- Must not have been selected by anyone in a previous sim league. Any players from 1986 - 2009 who have been selected in a sim league previous to this one will appear on the "blacklist" & are inelligable for selection (see below).

The following teams are unrestricted, meaning that managers can select full strength squads, without having to worry about blacklisted players.

- Bangladesh
- Zimbabwe

Once the top 10 Test nations are taken I will allow a few more people to join who are free to manage one of the following combined squads.

Afri-Carribean XI - Featuring leftover players from South Africa, West Indies & Zimbabwe; plus players from Kenya
Anzac XI - Featuring leftover players from Australia & New Zealand
Asian XI - Featuring leftover players from Bangladesh, India, Pakistan & Sri Lanka; plus players from Afghanistan
European XI - Featuring leftover players from England; plus players from Ireland, Netherlands & Scotland

Note: Players from Afghanistan, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands & Scotland must have played ODI cricket between 1996 - 2009.

Obviously these teams are going to need some extra firepower, so in a little twist I will let the managers of the combined squads select two ATG players from the blacklist to bolster their lineup & even things up a bit. These selections, of course, must conform to the region you are managing.

Before we begin, keep in mind that I use ICC '13 to sim these tournaments because it's the last version of the game that has a known third party player editor. Besides, the retired players database remains largely untouched since ICC '13. This is why I have decided not to let players that debuted after 2009 into the mix (sorry). I call this the "Steve Smith rule". Because a player such as Smith, who debuted in 2010, isn't as highly rated in ICC '13 as he would be today. Furthermore, I decided to go back no further than 1986 in order not to disadvantage teams such as Bang, RSA & Zim.

It's always good to see fresh faces in these sim tournaments - even though, technically you don't see anyone's face. The oldies ODI World Cup (sim league IV) brought alot of new players into the mix, I know this league will do the same.

Well, that's the end of my long winded OP, it may seem a little complex but it bascially boils down to this:

14 managers max. Managers select squads of 14.
Players from 1986 - 2009 only.
Top 8 Test nations may not select players who are blacklisted (see below).
Bangladesh & Zimbabwe remain at full strength.
Combined squads may select two blacklisted players from their region, along with the rest of their squad once everyone else has selected.

Tournament rules & format to follow. Sign up here!

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
BLACKLIST

AUSTRALIA - Adam Gilchrist, Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Andrew Symonds, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Bracken, Dean Jones, Ian Healy, Matthew Hayden, Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann, Michael Clarke, Steve Waugh, Ian Harvey, Brad Hogg, Damien Fleming, Craig McDermott, Jason Gillespie, Brad Haddin, Simon O'Donnell, Stuart MacGill, David Boon, Allan Border, David Hussey, Ryan Harris, David Warner, Doug Bollinger, Tim Paine, Simon Katich

ENGLAND - Marcus Trescothick, Alec Stewart, Graeme Hick, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Ian Botham, Graeme Swann, Darren Gough, Allan Lamb, Graham Gooch, James Anderson, Neil Fairbrother, Stuart Broad, Alistair Cook, Eoin Morgan, Matt Prior

INDIA - Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Kapil Dev, Zaheer Khan, MS Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Javagal Srinath, Anil Kumble, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Gautam Gambhir, Rohit Sharma, Ajay Jadeja, Vinod Kambli, Murali Kartik, Ajit Agarkar, Irfan Pathan, Manoj Prabhakar, Venkatesh Prasad, Mohammad Azharuddin, Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Jadeja, Virat Kohli

NEW ZEALAND - Stephen Fleming, Martin Crowe, Brendon McCullum, Roger Twose, Richard Hadlee, Daniel Vettori, Chris Cairns, Shane Bond, Geoff Allott, Derek Pringle, Adam Parore, Nathan Astle, Ross Taylor, Chris Harris, Ewen Chatfield, Martin Guptill, Jesse Ryder

PAKISTAN - Saeed Anwar, Shahid Afridi, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam-ul-haq, Javed Miandad, Imran Khan, Moin Khan, Wasim Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq, Ijaz Ahmed, Shoaib Akhtar, Abdul Razzaq, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Azhar Mahmood, Umar Gul, Abdul Qadir, Misbah-ul-haq, Saleem Malik, Waqar Younis, Saeed Ajmal

SOUTH AFRICA - Graeme Smith, Gary Kirsten, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, Jonty Rhodes, Lance Klusener, Shaun Pollock, Morne Morkel, Allan Donald, Hansie Cronje, Mark Boucher, Fanie de Villiers, Herschelle Gibbs, Dale Steyn, Craig Matthews, Clive Rice, Vernon Philander, Morne Morkel, Hashim Amla

SRI LANKA - Sanath Jayasuriya, Marvin Atapattu, Kumar Sangakkara, Aravinda de Silva, Mahela Jayawardene, Arjuna Ranatunga, Russel Arnold, Chaminda Vaas, Nuwan Kulasekara, Lasith Malinga, Muttiah Muralitharan, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Farveez Maharoof, Thilan Samaraweera, Ajantha Mendis, Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Rangana Herath

WEST INDIES - Gordon Greenidge, Desmond Haynes, Vivian Richards, Brian Lara, Chris Gayle, Ridley Jacobs, Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Carl Hooper, Dwayne Bravo, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Jeff Dujon

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's a rough draft of my squad. Man is there some medicority here or what haha. But interesting characters nonetheless. At least Richardson and Bishop give us a one respected bat and bowler

Going for that early-mid 90s vibe

Sherwin Campbell
Phil Simmons (5)
Richie Richardson *
Keith Arthurton
Gus Logie
Jimmy Adams
Junior Murray +
Roger Harper (4)
Winston Benjamin (2)
Kenny Benjamin (3)
Ian Bishop (1)

Stuart Williams
Patrick Patterson
Clayton Lambert

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's a rough draft of my squad. Man is there some medicority here or what haha. But interesting characters nonetheless. At least Richardson and Bishop give us a one respected bat and bowler

Sherwin Campbell
Phil Simmons (5)
Richie Richardson *
Keith Arthurton
Gus Logie
Jimmy Adams
Courtney Browne +
Roger Harper (4)
Winston Benjamin (2)
Kenny Benjamin (3)
Ian Bishop (1)
Most sides are gonna be mediocre, you'd think.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year

Going for that early-mid 90s vibe

Sherwin Campbell
Phil Simmons (5)
Richie Richardson *
Keith Arthurton
Gus Logie
Jimmy Adams
Junior Murray +
Roger Harper (4)
Winston Benjamin (2)
Kenny Benjamin (3)
Ian Bishop (1)

Stuart Williams
Courtney Browne
Cameron Cuffy
I should probably once again mention that there is no need to select a reserve WK, but feel free to keep Browne if you want to.

mr_mister

I'll replace him with Patrick Patterson :)

and swapped Cuffy for the great Clayton Lambert

Last edited:

mr_mister

possibly Philo Wallace? They're the 2 random dudes who put on a 200 opening stand in very quick time against England in 1998

Both of them combined probably played 10 tests total