• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Sim League V

srbhkshk

International Captain
OK, here's my side -

Scott Styris
Jacob Oram
Kyle Mills
Martin Snedden
Tim Southee
Danny Morrison
Jeremy Coney
Craig McMillan
Grant Elliott
Ken Rutherford
Andrew Jones
Mark Greatbatch
Peter Fulton
Bruce Edgar

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I'll pick Sri Lanka if no-one else wants to. (Having looked at the players available, I can see why no-one else would want to...)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, Teuton can now select his Anzac squad.

What does everyone think about the combined squads? Should they be able to pick two players from the blacklist, or just one? I raise this question because I didn't anticipate the combined squads being so popular, I only created them with the idea that they'd be secondary options outside of the 10 Test nations, if more than 10 people wanted to join.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Confirmed entrants:

AUS - TBP
England - Samuel Vimes
India - HB
NZ - srbhkshk
Pakistan - SCC1
West Indies - MM
Zimbabwe - morgieb
Anzacs - Teuton
South Africa - King Kallis
Europe - Samuel Vimes
Asia - Shri
Sri Lanka - AndrewB

Following teams still available:

Bangladesh
ROW (RSA, WI & Zim leftovers + Kenya)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What does everyone think about the combined squads? Should they be able to pick two players from the blacklist, or just one? I raise this question because I didn't anticipate the combined squads being so popular, I only created them with the idea that they'd be secondary options outside of the 10 Test nations, if more than 10 people wanted to join.
Furthermore, I can also see how an Asian squad in this tournament might be stronger than countries like Sri Lanka or West Indies, for example. To me, it seems that the quality of players available sort of plateaus at this level (once you remove so many ATGs from the mix). I think that the combined squads should gain a big enough advantage from the fact they can choose players from multiple nations & have exclusive access to Associate players.

And so I think it might be better for game-play purposes if we just let the managers of the combined squads select one blacklisted player.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why not reduce the number of blacklisted players for the Sri Lankan team..just a thought. ..

But then again, the SL team have played almost 900 ODIs...I think..

I am just brainstorming.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I think SL should be okay. After all, upsetting the big boys is what they do best. And I think the combined teams will be okay with just the one ring-in, after all, Australia A beat Australia & were champions in a previous version of the sim league.

To clarify, if you a manger of a combined nation you can have one player from the blacklist to bolster your squad. Samuel & Teuton, you guys can post their squads when ready. Sorry about the sudden change in rules.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I don't like the idea of allowing blacklisted players, wouldn't want someone to pick Kohli and getting a 100 extra runs each game easy. Maybe the Asian side will end up stronger than the other three continents because of that but I don't think it would be much of a difference, maybe throw one of the Asian countries to Europe.

(Or maybe have a a second level of blacklist - players who can't be picked whatever be the case)

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Having two blacklisted players from Australia is enormous compared to having them from England anyway. There's no real way to make the sides even, because they're not.

If we were going for a level playing field we could have repeated the first game. But we haven't, so it's your party, do what you want. I'd stick with the original call.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like the idea of allowing blacklisted players, wouldn't want someone to pick Kohli and getting a 100 extra runs each game easy. Maybe the Asian side will end up stronger than the other three continents because of that but I don't think it would be much of a difference, maybe throw one of the Asian countries to Europe.

(Or maybe have a a second level of blacklist - players who can't be picked whatever be the case)
Fair enough. I'd like to hear what others think about that (especially those who are actually managing a combined team).

As for throwing one of the Asian countries to Europe, I don't know about that. We've already seen Sam vacate England just to manage this European side, plus I'm letting him have Morgan. I'd say they'll be a force to be reckoned with already.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Having two blacklisted players from Australia is enormous compared to having them from England anyway. There's no real way to make the sides even, because they're not.

If we were going for a level playing field we could have repeated the first game. But we haven't, so it's your party, do what you want. I'd stick with the original call.
Yes, that is true. There's no way to make the sides truly even, I probably shouldn't have opened such a can of worms. I didn't expect people to actually choose the combined teams over full-strength (relatively speaking) Test nations :laugh:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think one blacklisted player is more fair. these combined sides are more fun to manage already and most of the 'first pick' sides are full of crappy players anyway

i don't have a strong opinion though

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
i think one blacklisted player is more fair. these combined sides are more fun to manage already and most of the 'first pick' sides are full of crappy players anyway

i don't have a strong opinion though
Yep, that's right. There isn't all that much of a difference between "first choice" & "second choice" teams in this scenario as it is. I think just one blacklisted player re-addresses the balance.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka squad - please feel free to point out if I've missed anyone obvious:

Roshan Mahanama
Romesh Kaluwitharana
Asanka Gurusinha
Hashan Tillakaratne
Roy Dias
Chamara Silva
Duleep Mendis
Upul Chandana
Dilhara Fernando
Nuwan Zoysa
Suranga Lakmal
Kumar Dharmasena
Sajeewa de Silva
Ravi Ratnayeke

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
SQUADS

Asia - Shri - TBA (may pick squad when Bangladesh has been taken)

Anzac - Teuton - TBA (may pick squad now)

Australia - The Battlers Prince - Andrew Bichel, Michael Kasprowicz, Tom Moody, Mark Taylor, Greg Matthews, Terry Alderman, Mitchell Johnson, Adam Voges, Shane Lee, Wayne Phillips, Brad Hodge, Cameron White, Shaun Marsh, Stuart Law, Paul Reiffel

Bangladesh - OPEN

England - Howe_zat - Andrew Strauss, Nick Knight, Robin Smith Jonathan Trott, Ian Bell, Graham Thorpe Paul Nixon, Tim Bresnan, Craig White, John Emburey, Stephen Harmison, Andrew Caddick, Angus Fraser, Alan Mulally

Europe - Samuel Vimes - TBA (may pick squad now)

India - honestbharani - Ravi Shastri, Dinesh Mongia, Piyush Chawla, Yusuf Pathan, Hemang Badani, Ashish Nehra, Sridharan Sriram, Mohinder Amarnath, Dilip Vengsarkar, Dinesh Karthik, Sanjay Bengar, Mohammad Kaif, Sreesanth, Praveen Kumar

New Zealand - srbhkshk - Scott Styris, Jacob Oram, Kyle Mills, Martin Snedden, Tim Southee, Danny Morrison, Jeremy Coney, Craig McMillan, Grant Elliott, Kn Rutherford, Andrew Jones, Mark Greatbatch, Peter Fulton, Bruce Edgar

Pakistan - SillyCowCorner1 - Mudassar Nazar, Yasir Hameed, Aamer Sohail, Imran Nazir, Kamran Akmal, Mohammad Sami, Rameez Raja, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, Salman Butt, Mushtaq Ahmed, Aamer Malik, Aaqib Javed, Asi Mujtaba, Sohail Tanvir

ROW - OPEN

South Africa - kingkallis - Boeta Dippenaar, Peter Kirsten, Neil McKenzie, Daryll Cullinan, JP Duminy, Morne van Wyk, Brian McMillan, Andrew Hall, Pat Symcox, Makhaya Ntini, Brett Schultz, Andrew Hudson, Meryck Pringle, Roelof van der Merwe

Sri Lanka - AndrewB - TBA

West Indies - mr_mister - Sherwin Campbell, Phil Simmons, Richie Richardson, Keith Arthurton, Gus Logie, Jimmy Adams, Junior Murray, Roger Harper, Winston Benjamin, Kenny Benjamin, Ian Bishop, Stuart Williams, Patrick Patterson, Clayton Lambert

Zimbabwe - morgieb - Grant Flower, Neil Johnson, Andrew Flower, Murray Goodwin, David Houghton, Brendan Taylor, Tatenda Taibu, Heath Streak, Paul Strang, Ray Price, Kyle Jarvis, Sean Williams, Sean Ervine, Eddo Brandes

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan's unsung heroes open batting options:

Aamer Sohail
Salman Butt
Yasir Hameed
Imran Nazir
Kamran Akmal
Mudassar Nazar
Rameez Raja