• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The unapologetic Lyon Bandwagon Thread - Not for TJB

Victor Ian

International Coach
How good is Lyon? First name on paper for the Martian 11.

I feel really good for the bloke. When everyone was dissing him last summer, I stood strong and pointed out that if he got to bowl on subcontinental decks, as his Asian counterparts do, he would be every bit as good as them. Now the legend has bowled on Asian decks and proved me right. I don't care about being right. I am just chuffed that Lyon is finally getting some serious success. If this guy was born in Asia, instead of Mars, he'd have over 400 wickets by now.

Victor Ian

International Coach
He's changed his pace and has undercut the ball a lot more in Asia. Read an article he said he watched Ashwin and realised bowling ugly,non-spinning, round arm filth is the way to take wickets in Asia, whereas in Australia you actually need to think about it and put over spin on the ball.

I may have paraphrased that a bit.
Lyon has shown his ability to think about how to change his game for the conditions in front of him, instead of relying on intent to get him through. I think it is time that we start to call Lyon, "The Brain".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Get in line son!!

Have been on his bandwagon pre-selection. I think on here only Cribb was calling for his selection sooner.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Well, you guys are good judges of cricketers, so that is only natural. Just lends more credence to the idea that Lyon has been hard done by having to bowl in Australia for most of his games. [steps to the back of the line]

Burgey

Well, you guys are good judges of cricketers, so that is only natural. Just lends more credence to the idea that Lyon has been hard done by having to bowl in Australia for most of his games. [steps to the back of the line]
I wouldn't presume to consider Cribb in my own exalted company, but that's a judgment for others to make :ph34r:

Burgey

Yeah awtgnske here. There is a need for consistency with regards to email etiquette, as I conclusively proved in this thread.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not sure that anything in international cricket gives me more joy than him taking wickets.

Just lends more credence to the idea that Lyon has been hard done by having to bowl in Australia for most of his games.
Home average 34.55; away average 28.20. Not that you should judge from averages, but #justsayin

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He is a class bowler. I know in the other thread we got some banter going with Burgey on him, but he is a genuinely good hard working bowler and deserves to be part of the Aussie 4 man attack, quartet be damned. He can provide crucial wickets in just about all conditions and while he may not always win you the game in conditions you expect him to,, that is just a trade off you get as he helps your lot out even in conditions more suited to the seamers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There have been games that Aus have won that they should have lost, because of Lyon. That right there shows you not only is he a good cricketer but is also one who makes a difference to the team through his skills. The other personal stats do not always reflect these unquantifiable things.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just so you know, *****, this thread is not for TJB, so his like doesn't count. It is an illegal like.