• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Some issues to discuss:

- The future of Wade, is he a long term test keeping prospect or should we look elsewhere?

- How will the new batsmen in Renshaw and Handscomb fare this summer?

- Nathan Lyon's continual ability to defy the doubters and push towards Warne's tally as the greatest Australian spinner.

- What will our starting XI be if all of Starc, Cummins, Haze and Pattinson are fit and raring to go?

- What is Maxwell's status in the XI long term?

- How good is Hilton Cartright?

- Who will we see debut this summer, Kurt Patterson is my bet.

- Usman Khawaja - test avg of 45 but in and out of the side. Averages 63 in home tests but has been mediocre in the subcontinent and England (albeit with limited chances). Horses for courses and just play him in home tests and maybe in NZ and SA, or what?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pattinson misses out

Forever a back-up bat/subcontinental pick.

My only beef with Cartwright is how rigid he seems at times, otherwise he can do adequately.

Behrendorff, Head, Carey, Patterson, Sayers and Wildermuth I can see getting debuts this season atm through one circumstance or another. I'll throw a wild bet on Peirson too if we see so much as one article on him early on the season that even mentions the name "Gilchrist" after he scores some runs.

Keep Khawaja until someone who can do exactly what he does but better comes along.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From the current Test team Warner Renshaw Smith Handscomb Lyon and Cummins are locks. Currently injured Starc and Hazlewood are locks too.

So that means we need a 3 or 4, a 6 and a keeper.

3/4 options: Khawaja, Patterson, Head
6 options: Cartwright, MMarsh, Maxwell, Stoinis, Henriques, Head
Keeper: Carey or Wade or Nevill.

My Ashes XI
Renshaw Warner Khawaja Smith Handscomb Head Wade Starc Cummins Lyon Hazlewood 12 Sayers

Justo

U19 Debutant
I don't see too many changes/weird selections happening. Wade almost certainly gone unless he scores runs this test, possible questions over the number 6/all rounder slot and then it's just a matter of who's fit from the pace battery.

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith *
Handscomb
Maxwell/Cartwright
Nevill +
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

Pattinson and Bird are backup pacers depending on fitness.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
As an aside, if Wade is dropped, he would’ve played 22 Tests without playing in an Ashes Test. That would have to be close to a record for an Australian player I reckon.

howardj

International Coach
I think in Australia we can pick a very conventional team, with no bits and pieces players

- We only need four bowlers to get 20 wickets
- Pick our best keeper
- Pick our best six batsmen.

The reality is though, with such a keen focus on workload and player management, I don't think we will ever again play a Test match with just four bowlers.

Thus, until we find another Waugh or Watson, the door will be open to guys like Maxwell, Cartwright etc.

stephen

It's a really tough call on which guy to leave out of the quartet if they're all fit but I think it would be Pattinson. Not because he's any worse than the others but because he doesn't have any recent tests under his belt.

In Australia Khawaja should be our number 3. He's easily or best bat in that spot, though I imagine that the spinners will come on as soon as he walks out to bat.

Maxwell should bat 6 and Nevill should come in for Wade.

Midwinter

State Captain
It's a really tough call on which guy to leave out of the quartet if they're all fit but I think it would be Pattinson. Not because he's any worse than the others but because he doesn't have any recent tests under his belt.
Didn't stop them picking Cummins

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Let's just hope we have 3 of the quartet to pick. Are Patto and Starc expected to be back for Brisbane?

stephen

Didn't stop them picking Cummins
True.

It's so hard leaving a potential ATG out of your side.

I have vivid memories of Pattinson tearing through the QLD batting lineup at AB Oval last summer. He was seriously sharp and made Tremain look pedestrian by comparison. The force with which the ball hit the pitch was really alarming. It was the definition of a "heavy ball".

All 4 of the quartet are very different bowlers with very different strengths and if all are fit whichever one gets left out is unlucky.

But then again, we've never had a test match where the selectors have had to make that choice.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
When fully fit, I would rate Pattinson as the best of the big 4 with the red ball. Not an easy choice by any means, but some of his spells in first class cricket recently have been truly unplayable. Also worth keeping Sayers in mind, completely different style of bowler but I think he could cause England a few problems, especially in the day night test.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pattinson is probably the best of the 4, but I can definitely see him sitting out if they're all fit.

Though considering how well he's been batting (as well as Starc and Cummins) there's no reason he can't be a no. 7 and Aus play 4 quicks + Lyon.

But then we'd look a bit light on with a keeper at 6

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The chair could work, though like Handscomb, I think he does his best work in close under the lid.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Khawaja is class. As long as he is in reasonable form for the early shield rounds then he should be a certainty. I do wish his fielding was better though.