• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mitch Marsh is so frustrating because at his best he can look amazing with the bat, but there is still a hard-handedness in his technique that makes him vulnerable and perhaps still not up to a top 6 spot, especially when and if we are a) losing and b) his bowling is sub par.

the big bambino

International Captain
Tbf to him he wasn't ever likely to score a satisfactory amount of runs on their wickets against that attack. He's just learned to block a straight one. Lets see if can continue to develop. Its not like we have many more options atm.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm keen to persist with M Marsh. His potential upside is huge. If he can start averaging 35 with the bat and bowl 15 overs an innings he's worth playing IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but he's never demonstrated he can do either of those things consistently, let alone both.

morgieb

Given the paucity of options and the fact that he still managed to score a match-winning knock here, I'd persist with Marsh for now. Skeptical he can score runs in the Ashes, especially with him now out injured, but it's not like the other options convince there.....

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
On Australian pitches I reckon Mitch Marsh could do pretty well (as he showed this summer) but this feels like the Shane Watson debate all over again where seemingly forever there was faith invested in him and debate over what his best role was etc... and it never quite happens. And Marsh is a fair way off Watson atm (especially as a bowler).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone wanna consider Stoinis again? Bowling's trash but looks a bit more rounded a batsman than MMarsh.

morgieb

On Australian pitches I reckon Mitch Marsh could do pretty well (as he showed this summer) but this feels like the Shane Watson debate all over again where seemingly forever there was faith invested in him and debate over what his best role was etc... and it never quite happens. And Marsh is a fair way off Watson atm (especially as a bowler).
If Watson wasn't batting Top 3 so much there would've been little complaints about his role IMO.

Burgey

You're all just dodging the truth in here by failing to recognize the inevitable rise of #Bertmentum to the test side within the year.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'm keen to persist with M Marsh. His potential upside is huge. If he can start averaging 35 with the bat and bowl 15 overs an innings he's worth playing IMO.
Maybe a new captain will operate differently but he doesn't bowl 15 even when he's fit which isn't frequent. Pick Maxi and give him a home summer while telling Mmarsh to bat top for for WA and get picked on batting alone. See how he handles a year in the SS.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There's a few guys in the Shield that'd be absolutely kicking themselves that they didn't pile on Shield runs this year. I'm looking at Hilton Cartright and Kurt Patterson (guys I rate).

Both look assured and solid batsmen, but a full season in the Shield averaging in the 30s shouldn't get you a test gig.

No young Shield batsmen really stepped up this year with a bumper season.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Seems an immutable law of Australian selection. Whenever you want Shaun Marsh to play, it feels like he's not picked or dropped (or does a hamstring). When you don't want him to play, it seems like he keeps his spot or is recalled.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You're all just dodging the truth in here by failing to recognize the inevitable rise of #Bertmentum to the test side within the year.
I can't wait for c. Bertus b. Copperfield to be all over Test scorecards.