• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to see Bancroft not getting picked over Renshaw now. Shame, as I liked Renshaw as the better long term option. Plus he knows how to be slow, which nice in a #intent filled batting lineup.

Plus, the fewer West Australians in the team the better.
Bancroft ain't exactly a thrill-a-minute player himself, he can do exactly what Renshaw did tbh with even a modicum of more intent.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty hard to ignore Bancroft now. This is exactly want you want to see. Whether he bats one or seven the only question.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Pretty hard to ignore Bancroft now. This is exactly want you want to see. Whether he bats one or seven the only question.
Not really hard, when one of the selectors is Mark Waugh. I mean, it was only yesterday he said "Renshaw has enough credits in the bank" to retain his spot.

Justo

U19 Debutant
No reason he couldn't come in at 6 either although I bet they want at least some sort of bowling option there.

howardj

International Coach
Put Bancroft in at 7 if you must...bearing in mind we used to giggle when England picked batsmen who averaged in the 30s in FC cricket

Anyway, Mark Waugh's comments the other day would be sobering reading for the "drop Renshaw" movement

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why though? His record in Australia is good, and he averaged more than Warner, Handscombe, and the two Marsh boys on his maiden tour of India.
see:

This is the exact time you would pick someone on form too.

Home Ashes series, 3 full Shield rounds before the first Test . . . if you're not going pick someone on form now then you never are
same goes for someone out of form

howardj

International Coach
I respectfully disagree.

I don't pick players who are on hot streaks...unless they have a solid record behind them in the first place

stephen

Bancroft has always been talked about as a future international and I think he's done enough in the last few weeks to earn himself a shot. Wade and Nevill have both not done anything to suggest we should pick them. Granted, neither has Renshaw but at least he had a decent tour of India and had a really good summer last year.

mr_mister

Why don't they just pick Stoinis? They clearly want a pace bowling all rounder that's why Mitch Marsh got so many chances

mr_mister

Show also has the highest ODI strike rate of all time

Yes I know we're talking FC. But Show has brought his A game to world cups. The bloke can handle the international stage

Gnske

Well, Renshaw failed yet again.

He's looking more than right to face Jimmy Anderson

SeamUp

International Coach
Pity Mitch Marsh is not bowling now (Yeah I said it) - would really consider Bancroft to keep at 6 & Marsh at 7.

For me they will want to take load off Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood - it is either Cartwright or Stoinis they going to pick for 6 now.