• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
From Rajkot test between India and England:

28 - Number of sixes India hit against England in Rajkot, the most by any team in a Test match.

12 - Number of sixes in Yashasvi Jaiswal's unbeaten 214 against England in Rajkot, equalling Wasim Akram's record for the most sixes in a Test innings.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From Rajkot test between India and England:

28 - Number of sixes India hit against England in Rajkot, the most by any team in a Test match.

12 - Number of sixes in Yashasvi Jaiswal's unbeaten 214 against England in Rajkot, equalling Wasim Akram's record for the most sixes in a Test innings.
Good on India for being inspired by BazBall

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a new record or anything but I wanted to shout out this amazing and overlooked performance.

Remember when Garry Sobers scored his first ton and eventually broke the world record at the time against Pakistan?

I don’t care about that, I’m shouting out the bowlers.

Mainly Fazal Mahmood, who put in a monumental effort on what was described as a “perfect pitch”. We all talk about marathons from spinners, but Fazal that innings bowled 85.2 overs (out of 208.1) of pace, the record for a pace bowler. He took 2/247 (rest combined for 0/530) of the 3 wickets (Hunte was run out) and bowled 20 maidens.

Shoutout to Khan Mohammad who bowled 54 overs (also pace). The rest of the Pakistani attack all had injuries. Fazal’s opening partner Mahmood Hussain pulled a thigh muscle 5 balls into the innings and was unable to play the rest of the match. Left arm spinner Nasim-ul-Ghani fractured his thumb and also had to leave the game after bowling 15 overs. Captain Abdul Kardar, another left armer, more of a part timer in tests bowled 37 overs after entering the match with a broken finger on his left hand.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Since Fazal also bowled 62 overs in the first innings of the series, and over 100 overs in the 2nd Test, you might expect him to have the record for most balls bowled in a series by a pace bowler, but in fact that's held by Maurice Tate (2528 in the 1924-5 Ashes), followed by Maurice Tate (2226 in the 1928-9 Ashes). Fazal bowled 1922.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is impressive, but I don't think it's quite as impressive as it sounds. Fazal bowled a modest pace off short run. Unfortunately there isn't any earlier footage from the correct angle available, but I doubt his bowling in 1962 in England would be any faster than the likes of Gavin Larsen. Khan Mohammad had a noticeably more vigorous run and action, but was allegedly only a shade faster. I don't think even Mahmood, the fastest, would be getting past the mid 120s at best.

Obviously it was a titanic effort but you're talking about overs of out-and-out medium pace by today's standards, not even a Pollock-like fast-medium.