• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers turned politicians

Marius

International Debutant
This thought was inspired by a misreading of a tweet - instead of reading 'Malinga contemplating retirement' I read 'Malinga running for president'.

What other cricketers have become politicians?

There's obviously Imran Khan in Pakistan.

Others that come to mind include Clive van Ryneveld and Eddie Barlow in South Africa.

Sachin Tendulkar is also a member of India's upper house of Parliament I believe.

And isn't Sanath Jayasuriya involved in Sri Lankan politics or am I misremembering?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sam Loxton was an MP in Victoria for quite a number of years.

I remember Carl Rackemann running in one Queensland election or another, but he didn't get in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wes Hall was very prominent in politics post-retirement iirc

Also, Eric Myatt. Used to play cricket in the 50s then became secretary of the Parra Association and been running it like a dictatorship ever since.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't Lord Ted once miss a tour or turn up late for duty because he was standing for ver Tories in a parliamentary by - election? Cardiff if memory serves?

I think I've read or heard somewhere that Strauss is vaguely toying with a political career for the Conservatives too.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't Lord Ted once miss a tour or turn up late for duty because he was standing for ver Tories in a parliamentary by - election? Cardiff if memory serves?
Yes, got spanked - quite an entertaining story - love the dirty milk bottles line - you can see where Malcolm Devon came from and Jim Callaghan's observation is a cracker