• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Worst Wicketkeepers

Bijed

International Regular
Just to dogpile on Wade whilst everyone's bagging him (or maybe offer him redemption of sorts, we shall see), who do we reckon is the worst wicketkeeper to play, say, more than 20 tests, since that's roughly how many Wade's played?

The recent examples that spring to mind are Wade, Geraint Jones and Kamran Akmal

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I gotta go with Akmal there. Many have dropped catches, but few have done it with such panache.

the big bambino

International Captain
Can't recall if Wayne Phillips meets the 20 test cut but him. Swear that Ray Bright was going to punch his lights out one time. For those who reckon Bright was an ordinary bowler its fair to say Phillips gave him that reputation.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Akmal. But at least he could bat. Wade is bad at batting too.

I mean if Wade showed up at my club wanting a game next week we'd take him but he isn't good enough at the international level.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tim Zoehrer was horrendous but played less than 20

Thank ****
Was he actually a bad keeper? I can remember him playing when I was a kid, can't remember if he was good or not.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is that right? Who goes on an OS tour without a keeper? Aside from Australia ATM of course.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is that right? Who goes on an OS tour without a keeper? Aside from Australia ATM of course.
Well this bloke had passed away a couple of years earlier (arguably NZ's best ever keeper): Ken Wadsworth | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

this bloke hadn't started this first-class career Ian Smith | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

and this one was controversially not selected Warren Lees | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

For Lees, Cricinfo says: "He was very unfortunate to be left out of the tour of England in 1978, arguably being a better wicketkeeper and batsman than Jock Edwards, his replacement, who was described by one journalists as the worst wicketkeeper he had ever seen!"

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Admittedly he only played ODIs, but I'd say Chris Nevin was the worst gloveman I've seen represent NZ in my lifetime (which excludes the previously mentioned Edwards).