Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC Champions Trophy 2004

School Boy/Girl Captain

ICC Champions Trophy 2004

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am from Colombo.
    Who do you think will win the ICC Champions Trophy 2004 ?

The pools are:
    Pool 1: Australia, New Zealand, USA
    Pool 2: South Africa, West Indies, Bangladesh
    Pool 3: Pakistan, India, Kenya
    Pool 4: Sri Lanka, England, Zimbabwe

My analysis of the team's chances are as follows:
    1) Australia -- Red hot favourites to win. They are a superbly balanced side; it will take something special to beat them
    2) RSA and India -- Both strong sides and are in with a chance.
    3) England and NZl are the dark horses; Improving England have home advantage and should win their pool but beyond that they will have to play very well; Kiwis are always a dangerous outfit and if they can upset Australia in the pool stage, their confidence will rocket skywards.
    4) Pakistan and WI are in a bad shape at the moment but both are highly unpredictable.
    5) I don't give my side SL much hope; We'll have to play out of our skins to get past the pool stage even where England is in the way. A lot I feel hinges on Jaya's form.

Tim
    Nice post mate, welcome.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Largely agree, although I think you may be under-rating Pakistan and WI a tad. WI are still a competitive ODI side, as are Pakistan, just hugely inconsistent.

I think United States got the worst pool
    liveyalifenikhilsway@hotmail.com -MSN

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Hello and welcome back
    Rain has stopped and palyers are back in the middle
    Play is about to stop

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Indian
    Yes, I think thats a safe assumption.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Banned
    Pool 3/4 seems to have a tough contest

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    Pool 3/4 seems to have a tough contest
    i think england should get through quite comfortably. SL have always been a poor team outside of home.pool 1 is going to be a real toughy,NZ have improved leaps and bounds in the ODI games recently and will put up a good fight against australia.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud Indian
    Yes, but ask them who they would wish to play out of all the teams in the world and the answer would in all likelihood be Australia
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

School Boy/Girl Captain
    the india-pakistan game is going to be a cracker....if the recent odi series is anything to go by.

i heard that the tickets for the encounter sold out within 2 hrs.
    anyone know the date of the match and where in england it is going to be played.

does anyone know how to get a hold of a couple of tickets...... ....me willing to pay big bucks

Australia have been red-hot favorites to win everything they've participated in since 1999. They have, however, barely made an impact in the past two versions of this trophy...right?

Personally, I think it's all about India and Australia...maybe USA...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thehellraiser
    i heard that the tickets for the encounter sold out within 2 hrs.
    anyone know the date of the match and where in england it is going to be played.
    At Edgbaston - I was looking to go, but didn't realise tickets were on sale until they were sold out.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Yes, but ask them who they would wish to play out of all the teams in the world and the answer would in all likelihood be Australia
    Why do you think that?

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by krkode
    Why do you think that?
    Purely and simply that they (Australia) are unquestionably the best - and anyone worth their salt, given the choice, would take the option of measuring themselves against the cream.

School Boy/Girl Captain LankanPrince's Avatar

Icon6

Hi GermanSheperd,

Welcome to the forum my man, as u get can guess from my name I am also from SL. I agree Sri Lanka's form is really rock bottom. They are not bad at tests but they have slipped a long way down from being a good ODI side. Our batting is very weak with the old timers showing their age, especially Marvan and Sanath are more inconsistent that before. However we have promising bowling attack: Vaas, Zoysa and Murali are a dangerous trio. I agree Jayasuriya's form is important but to me the performance of the youngsters, especially Sanga and Mahela is crucial. Anyways best of luck to the SL boyz: they need it because their record in England is quite poor. Their success depends on the pitches. Green, swinging pitches the batting will crumble as we have seen on so many occasions. Dry, spinning pitches (I wish!) and Murali is the man to do it.

Of the other teams either Australia and India are hot favourites. Both these teams are well balanced and they can adapt to different conditions. The Indian batting has obvious class and I really think bowlers such as Pathan, Balaji and Zaheer will do well if the pitches suit the swingers. However Australia has the obvious edge, especially in the spin department with Shane Warne.

The other teams are a definite class below these other teams. England and West Indies have shown glimmers of excellence in ODI cricket but these are rare and they do not have the team strength to overcome Australia or India: they are based on a couple of brilliant individuals. I believe Pakistan is a wildcard in the tournament, if their batsman show to the world how they played against India and Sami and Shoaib are blasting out wickets, it will add definite excitement to the tournament.

By the way GermanSheperd, how is SL these dayz?, I reaaaally miss it. I haven't been since 2000?

LankanPrince
    Rudeboy master of controversy
    Supporting the Sri Lankan boyz

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Purely and simply that they (Australia) are unquestionably the best - and anyone worth their salt, given the choice, would take the option of measuring themselves against the cream.
    Even when they positively know they're not as good as the salt in that cream?

It makes sense, though, and I agree with you. The Ameircans won't mind; I'm wondering what sort of a show they'll put up, though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information