Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: ICC Champions Trophy 2004

  1. #61
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by anzac
    wow how did you manage to quote & respond to the post on what seems to be 2 posts?????
    Because I spelt "quote" wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by anzac
    Tuffey is more of a strike bowler, but his lack of pace can be limiting - hence my desire for another partner in crime for Bond...............currently the bowling only offers 2 such options (Bond & Tuffey) with Cairns potentially a 3rd, out of 6 bowling options (Oram, Vettori, Styris, Mills/Mason) - not enough firepower IMO to consistantly win series or esp a tourneyment.......
    In all honesty Tuffey was pretty unthreatening during the South African Test series. He seemed to be used a "stock" bowler.

    With some helpful conditions Chris Martin should be effective enough.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  2. #62
    International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    6,649
    u would have to say that cricket in the USA is like Gridiron in Australia - a very small community of teams but there are state championships.
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

    Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata



    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

  3. #63
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Sehwag309
    The US may never adopt cricket as many argue (read somwhere ) that cricket doesn't offer the same physical exercise that their sport has.
    As soon as the US gets their hands on the game, they'll change it for the worse in order to make it appeal to the masses. America will never understand 5-day tests and I'm quite happy about that.

    For one thing, the test calendar is crowded enough: we don't need to encourage more to join.

    I think Bangladesh should be demoted to Associate status due to incompitence and Zimbabwe should be banned for bringing the game into disprepute. That would free the calendar up a little, increase the standard and prevent players from improving their records in a way not possible in the past - slaughtering Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

    If this is done every Test would be a 'test'. Not just easy pickings and one sided afairs.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  4. #64
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    As soon as the US gets their hands on the game, they'll change it for the worse in order to make it appeal to the masses. America will never understand 5-day tests and I'm quite happy about that.

    For one thing, the test calendar is crowded enough: we don't need to encourage more to join.

    I think Bangladesh should be demoted to Associate status due to incompitence and Zimbabwe should be banned for bringing the game into disprepute. That would free the calendar up a little, increase the standard and prevent players from improving their records in a way not possible in the past - slaughtering Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

    If this is done every Test would be a 'test'. Not just easy pickings and one sided afairs.
    Kicking Bangladesh out would be a backward step.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog


  5. #65
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Kicking Bangladesh out would be a backward step.
    Even though they are useless easy pickings who help to unfairly boost modern Test players records. Kenya are better. 10 Test teams is too many and Bangladesh are maybe the 11th team in the world, although they did lose to Canada in the World Cup so that might be a little generous. Only Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Rafique and Mushrafe Mortaza are remotely close to Test standard. The rest are an embarassment at best.

    See your point about builing for the future but why can that not be used in Kenya's favour. They have a better crop of players than Bangla.

  6. #66
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    Please..

    The same could be sad of every other side that joined the Test arena in their early years. Five day cricket is nothing like one day cricket in terms of adaptation - I would confidently back Bangladesh to dispatch Kenya (and Mugabwe) in a First Class match.

    Dav Whatmore has transformed the side.

  7. #67
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Please..

    The same could be sad of every other side that joined the Test arena in their early years.
    No. Obviously Australia and England cannot have been too bad when they started for obvious reasons. West Indies were good when they started with Headley, Constantine, Martindale etc. Sri Lanka were a decent batting side when they started. Zimbabwe were not bad when they started - not easy to beat and far better than they are now. India and Pakistan were not bad when they started although admittedly not exactly the finshed article.

    South Africa had the worst batting lineup ever when they started, Bangla have the worst bowling attack ever. New Zealand couldn't win a match when they started, but were not as bad as Bangla,

    From my review you can see that it was fairly mixed and Bangladesh were certainly the worst side ever to be awarded Test status. Its undeserved.

  8. #68
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra
    No. Obviously Australia and England cannot have been too bad when they started for obvious reasons. West Indies were good when they started with Headley, Constantine, Martindale etc. Sri Lanka were a decent batting side when they started. Zimbabwe were not bad when they started - not easy to beat and far better than they are now. India and Pakistan were not bad when they started although admittedly not exactly the finshed article.

    South Africa had the worst batting lineup ever when they started, Bangla have the worst bowling attack ever. New Zealand couldn't win a match when they started, but were not as bad as Bangla,

    From my review you can see that it was fairly mixed and Bangladesh were certainly the worst side ever to be awarded Test status. Its undeserved.
    whats is this...why does everyone tonight seem to think Sri Lanka were a good team in the 80's.

    Sri Lanka were a very poor team for about the first 10 years in test cricket
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  9. #69
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Posts
    330
    Bangladesh's Test status came about due to asian politics. That's ALL. It had absolutely nothing to do with competence.

  10. #70
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,857
    No one is disputing that the decision to award Bangladesh Test Status off the back of one decidedly dodgy ODI win over Pakistan was flawed (hence the reason it's not being repeated with Kenya).

    Removing it would cause huge damage. Bangladesh's last four series have been as competitive as could be expected, if not better. Remember Multan?

  11. #71
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    2,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    In all honesty Tuffey was pretty unthreatening during the South African Test series. He seemed to be used a "stock" bowler.
    playing with injury as it appears & not fully fit / effective...........

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •