• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions Trophy 2004

twctopcat

International Regular
Global warming should help us out with this one, lovely long English summers. Tres bashing fours for fun on lovely flat english tracks ala 5th test vs SA last year, can't wait.

Loony BoB

International Captain
It'd be kind of funny if every single match but one got washed out, and in that match some second rate team pulled off a win. Or if every match in the whole thing got washed out. I mean, anything's possible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
Maybe the proportion of Asian cricketers being picked should correspond (and does correspond?) to the proportion of Asian people in England.
A flawed figure.

It doesn't correspond to the number of women or over 50's etc.

Proportions are not representative IMO.

krkode

State Captain
marc71178 said:
A flawed figure.

It doesn't correspond to the number of women or over 50's etc.

Proportions are not representative IMO.
Okay, makes sense.

I was merely analogizing with how college's determine representation in the United States. And you're right, it doesn't quite work out that way.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
It'd be kind of funny if every single match but one got washed out, and in that match some second rate team pulled off a win. Or if every match in the whole thing got washed out. I mean, anything's possible.
Burundi Girls will probably pull out of the group stages due to some political fracasse with the English government, then get awarded 12 points after they refuse to go to Trent Bridge for a clash with the Bolivians.. They then go on to thrash Sri Lanka in the final, due to the returned Ranatunga having eaten Shane Warne and being run out, and then Murali bowling 10-0-97-0 left handed...

Zimbabwe bowled out for 6 in the semi final.. With part time GP Rudi Van Vuuren returning figures of 10-10-0-5

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
GermanShepherd said:
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am from Colombo.
Who do you think will win the ICC Champions Trophy 2004 ?

The pools are:
Pool 1: Australia, New Zealand, USA
Pool 2: South Africa, West Indies, Bangladesh
Pool 3: Pakistan, India, Kenya
Pool 4: Sri Lanka, England, Zimbabwe

My analysis of the team's chances are as follows:
1) Australia -- Red hot favourites to win. They are a superbly balanced side; it will take something special to beat them
2) RSA and India -- Both strong sides and are in with a chance.
3) England and NZl are the dark horses; Improving England have home advantage and should win their pool but beyond that they will have to play very well; Kiwis are always a dangerous outfit and if they can upset Australia in the pool stage, their confidence will rocket skywards.
4) Pakistan and WI are in a bad shape at the moment but both are highly unpredictable.
5) I don't give my side SL much hope; We'll have to play out of our skins to get past the pool stage even where England is in the way. A lot I feel hinges on Jaya's form.

The ICC tournament is an open lottery. If you look at history of past winners which New Zealand, Sri Lanka and India...now that tells you a lot about the very nature of this competition .

The top 3 teams of the 90's - Australia, South Africa and Pakistan hav never won this tournament.

However I think the Australians should win it since they've almost perfected ODI games but then like I mentioned above its an open lottery.

3 games deciding who the winners are.....to me its just one of the many meaningless yet entertaining ODI tourneys being held.

Langeveldt

Soutie
By the way, it isnt very wet in September.. Dont know what everyone is raving about really... Its certainly dry here then, moreso than April and May when it really is a lottery..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
By the way, it isnt very wet in September.. Dont know what everyone is raving about really... Its certainly dry here then, moreso than April and May when it really is a lottery..
Certainly drier than the West Indies in April, Sri Lanka in November etc etc

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
between Australia and India for the overall win i think, NZ are the othe main chance. though with McGrath back (and apparently better than ever :o) i think everyone else is in trouble

Deja moo

International Captain
Bapu Rao Swami said:
The ICC tournament is an open lottery. If you look at history of past winners which New Zealand, Sri Lanka and India...now that tells you a lot about the very nature of this competition .

The top 3 teams of the 90's - Australia, South Africa and Pakistan hav never won this tournament.

However I think the Australians should win it since they've almost perfected ODI games but then like I mentioned above its an open lottery.

3 games deciding who the winners are.....to me its just one of the many meaningless yet entertaining ODI tourneys being held.

south africa won the first one. So that should remove the lottery tag from the tournament , shouldnt it ?.....seeing that the only way you see for the tournament to gain credibility would be to have either SA , Aus , Pak win it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
between Australia and India for the overall win i think, NZ are the othe main chance. though with McGrath back (and apparently better than ever :o) i think everyone else is in trouble
The only problem with Australia's Olympic Luge hopeful being said to be 'better than ever' is that it was Dennis Lille who said it, consequently it can safely be taken with a pinch of meat tenderiser.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think NZ have a chance against Australia now.

In recent times, Michael Bevan has constantly taken a match away from NZ..he's no longer there. And the amount of times NZ have let Andy Bichel chip out 20 or 30 runs is frustrating to say the least..he also won't be there presumably.

If NZ go into the Australia match with a Natwest Series win under their belt & with plenty of form among the players..the match at the Oval could possibly be one of the greatest, if not the greatest ODI match played between the 2 countries.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am backing Australia to win this One. They are a better team than they were 2 years ago. They should win this one easily.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It could also be a wash-out! :laugh:
And there is a certain match at Edgbatson that the Organisers will be praying it doesnt rain or is a wash-out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the organisers will be hoping none of the games are washed out, wouldn't look good to have another farce like the end of the last Champions Trophy...

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
I think NZ have a chance against Australia now.

In recent times, Michael Bevan has constantly taken a match away from NZ..he's no longer there. And the amount of times NZ have let Andy Bichel chip out 20 or 30 runs is frustrating to say the least..he also won't be there presumably.

If NZ go into the Australia match with a Natwest Series win under their belt & with plenty of form among the players..the match at the Oval could possibly be one of the greatest, if not the greatest ODI match played between the 2 countries.

agreed - Bevan has been TBC's stumbling block too often to name.......

the current NZ batting lineup is looking the strongest in years with the addition of Papps & Marshall to go with the return of Astle, the emergence of Styris since the WC, Fleming from the front & Oram this year........

however I do think that NZ needs to find a consistant ODI 'strike' partner for Bond so they do not run out of steam as per the WC.........hopefully C Martin will be able to make the transition to the shorter game - his ODI figures for his previous incarnation are not pretty reading...........

likewise spin has to produce more than it currently does...........

:cool:

Craig

World Traveller
anzac said:
the current NZ batting lineup is looking the strongest in years with the addition of Papps & Marshall to go with the return of Astle, the emergence of Styris since the WC, Fleming from the front & Oram this year........[/qoute]

I'm not too convinced on Hamish Marshall just yet. He has shown he can be good and makes regular big scores (ie 50-100), but there isnt enough in between. He has the talent to do well, but he needs to be more consistent. The upcoming Natwest Series and ICC Champions Trophey will make or break him IMO. Even though he is a certainty to be playing in the two tournaments.

He has the potential to be one of the best fielders in the world.

anzac said:
however I do think that NZ needs to find a consistant ODI 'strike' partner for Bond so they do not run out of steam as per the WC
Jacob Oram has been filling this role, albiet in the seemingly helpful New Zealand conditions.

Whether he can do this outside of his home country remains to be seen.

anzac

International Debutant
Craig said:
Jacob Oram has been filling this role, albiet in the seemingly helpful New Zealand conditions.

Whether he can do this outside of his home country remains to be seen.
wow how did you manage to quote & respond to the post on what seems to be 2 posts?????

anyway - Marshall has only played 3 series so far 1 in PAK & 2 in NZ - av=41@SR75, with 5x50 & 1x100 - still early days but looks promising - I would like to see a bit more consistency, but seems to do well if he manages to get past facing his 1st 3-5 overs (now where have we heard that b4????)

at this stage a major factor in his success is the type of pitch being played on - if it has some bounce & pace he does ok - if slow & low / inconsistant he can struggle - a couple of times he has got out cheaply being thru the shot b4 the ball has arrived - not so much LBW or caught behind, but rather giving up an easy catch in the covers - I recall the ODI in Queenstown v PAK & another in Auckland v RSA - both times he was looking good early but had not got the pace of the pitch right...........

so far as Oram goes he was part of the bowling attack used in the WC as 1st drop behind Bond & Tuffey & was part of the team v AUS...........I don't regard him as a genuine 'strike' bowler whose purpose is to take wickets or bowl wicket taking deliveries, rather as a containing bowler who will restrict & pressurize the batsmen & get a wicket or two at most............he is certainly unlikely to run thru a batting lineup...........

Tuffey is more of a strike bowler, but his lack of pace can be limiting - hence my desire for another partner in crime for Bond...............currently the bowling only offers 2 such options (Bond & Tuffey) with Cairns potentially a 3rd, out of 6 bowling options (Oram, Vettori, Styris, Mills/Mason) - not enough firepower IMO to consistantly win series or esp a tourneyment.......

:)