• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Positive reaction to Twenty20/Pro20 style Cricket in South Africa.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good stuff...

I was pretty positive the whole cricketing society over there is more condusive to 20.20 than in England... it was a roaring success in England too...

"BATH A BABE JACCUZIS"... I bet that works well in Centurion.. dont think it will catch on in front of the members at lords though.. :s

a massive zebra

International Captain
one_dayer said:
lol no it's not, its limited overs cricket, Baseball is a completely different game.
OK its mindless cricket where less skilled players can succeed. For example, Andrew Hall was the most successful 20/20 bowler last year. Since when was his bowling anything special (im not saying he is clueless, he is just nowhere near the best bowler)?

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
OK its mindless cricket where less skilled players can succeed. For example, Andrew Hall was the most successful 20/20 bowler last year. Since when was his bowling anything special (im not saying he is clueless, he is just nowhere near the best bowler)?
Well you dont have to watch it.. Do you not find it entertaining at all? As long as it doesnt get out of hand, i see a very valid place for 20/20..

After all, players arent going to be using any skills they learnt in 20/20 on the test field, so youve got nothing to worry about...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Well you dont have to watch it.. Do you not find it entertaining at all? As long as it doesnt get out of hand, i see a very valid place for 20/20..

After all, players arent going to be using any skills they learnt in 20/20 on the test field, so youve got nothing to worry about...
No aggressive fielding, no super-quick singles, no athletic diving ultra-committed stops, no handling pressure, no improvisation, no quick thinking..

None of that would ever be any use in a Test.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
No aggressive fielding, no super-quick singles, no athletic diving ultra-committed stops, no handling pressure, no improvisation, no quick thinking..

None of that would ever be any use in a Test.
And none of that is at already prevalent in 45 over cricket that everyone plays anyway....

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Well you dont have to watch it.. Do you not find it entertaining at all?
I guess im just a purist.

Langeveldt said:
Im not so sure. Run rates in Test cricket are much higher than they were 50 years ago. Bowling strike rates are better, too. Much like one-day cricket. 50 years ago it was possible for a world-class bowler to go for less than 2 an over (ie Alan Davidson, Bill O'Reilly), now the best in the world is around 2.3 (Pollock, Murali). Furthermore, take a look at the strike-rate of Shoaib or Bond. You would never find that 50 years ago. Clearly, the invention of one-day cricket has increased the positivity of batting.

This in itself is not a bad thing. I, however, feel that 20/20 cricket might have a damaging effect encouraging the production of mindless sloggers like Afridi, who just belt everything they can reach, irrespective of the quality of the bowling. This could threaten the existence of genuinely great proper Test players like Dravid or Barrington.

The people that go and watch 20/20 cricket and no other type of the game, are not cricket fans, they are almost all working class thrill seakers. If these type of people become the main cricket fan-base, this great game will lose the status it once had, and become football's little bunny.

Sorry if I sound like an old man :wub:

Last edited:

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Since when was Andrew Hall's bowling anything special? Since 20/20 cricket was introduced.

Different forms of cricket will require different skills and will produce a different set of star performers (see Bevan, Michael for further info).

The techniques of Test players will not suffer (except that they will be better equipped to score quickly and hit big when the situation demands). No 'slogger' is ever going to be picked for a Test team, no matter how good he is at 20/20.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hardly special though. He's an adequate Test performer at best. There are only a handful of bowlers today that you could really call special, and Andrew Hall certainly is not one of them, despite what his mother says.

PY

International Coach
DJ Bumfluff said:
Hardly special though. He's an adequate Test performer at best. There are only a handful of bowlers today that you could really call special, and Andrew Hall certainly is not one of them, despite what his mother says.
I'd call him a regulation all-rounder to be honest. In the Freddie mould.

Big hitting batsman and a tight if not penetrative fast-medium bowler.

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
He's a poor man's Jacques Kallis. I'd rather have Freddie than Hall to be honest.

PY

International Coach
Well, the mould broke after Freddie. :p

Have to admit, I probably would take Freddie as well. Done more with the bat recently. Though Hall's 99 a while ago against England was pretty powerful hitting.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I've been watching pro20 cricket (as it's being called here) lately, and I love it. It is fast, exciting and very entertaining. Granted the batting is a bit sloggish (is there such a word?:)), but the bowling is everything test and ODI bowling is. The field work though, definitively lifts everyone's game. Great stuff for an entertaining night out. Much better than pubhopping and having to cope with amorous drunkies, or night clubbing and having to cope with high flying druggies. Just have to make sure I go out with a guy who loves cricket. :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
jot1 said:
I've been watching pro20 cricket (as it's being called here) lately, and I love it. It is fast, exciting and very entertaining. Granted the batting is a bit sloggish (is there such a word?:)), but the bowling is everything test and ODI bowling is. The field work though, definitively lifts everyone's game. Great stuff for an entertaining night out. Much better than pubhopping and having to cope with amorous drunkies, or night clubbing and having to cope with high flying druggies. Just have to make sure I go out with a guy who loves cricket. :D
Are you from Gauteng jot?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally don't think the SA pitches are as conducive to good Twenty20 cricket as England pitches (it seems you have to be able to muscle the ball around like Pietersen or Kemp in SA, otherwise it's hard to score and hard to get anyone out rather than someone getting themselves out) but it looks like there've been quite a few good close games, anyone know if the crowds have gone up since last season?