• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI in Pakistan

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems this series has T20I status. I find that pretty surprising.
I think most matches involving World XI, Asia XI, Rest of the World XI...all were international matches...so why does this particular series raise an eyebrow?

Ridiculous reasoning

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think most matches involving World XI, Asia XI, Rest of the World XI...all were international matches...so why does this particular series raise an eyebrow?

Ridiculous reasoning
I think there's a big difference between games involving what are basically next-level representative teams as you've named, like the Asia/Africa games or the ICC Superseries, and this series which is basically just Pakistan v anyone who wants to go to Pakistan.

It has much more in common with the "World XI" tour of New Zealand after the tsunami in Sri Lanka, which wasn't given international status, than something like the Asia/Africa series.

SillyCowCorner1

I think there's a big difference between games involving what are basically next-level representative teams as you've named, like the Asia/Africa games or the ICC Superseries, and this series which is basically just Pakistan v anyone who wants to go to Pakistan.

It has much more in common with the "World XI" tour of New Zealand after the tsunami in Sri Lanka, which wasn't given international status, than something like the Asia/Africa series.
At first when I heard of it, I thought that these were going to be exhibition games. And then, 'international cricket' came into the conversation. This series revolves around bringing back international cricket to Pakistan. Making the status of them T20Is is a small step forward. This is what the people at the ICC headquarters were also thinking.

TheJediBrah

Ridiculous reasoning
because it's not the World XI. It's just called that for some reason.

It's the "some good players, some retired players and some domestic players who just happen to be available and willing to travel to Pakistan XI"

Giving it official international status is absurd

SillyCowCorner1

because it's not the World XI. It's just called that for some reason.

It's the "some good players, some retired players and some domestic players who just happen to be available and willing to travel to Pakistan XI"

Giving it official international status is absurd
On point with the description.

Daemon

At first when I heard of it, I thought that these were going to be exhibition games. And then, 'international cricket' came into the conversation. This series revolves around bringing back international cricket to Pakistan. Making the status of them T20Is is a small step forward. This is what the people at the ICC headquarters were also thinking.
Yep. Without it you couldn't really say you were bringing 'International Cricket back to Pakistan'.

Good decision imo.

TheJediBrah

Yep. Without it you couldn't really say you were bringing 'International Cricket back to Pakistan'.

Good decision imo.
Presumably that's the only reason they did it. Otherwise you can't justify giving it official status.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Official international status is pretty much nowt here anyway because it's T20. Outside of world tournaments you don't get genuine international teams playing.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Couple of my friends went to watch they say the layers of security you have to get trough is ridiculous they are planning to give away their ticket for the Friday game. I know security has to be top notch to get things back but there is no way PCB can afford this level of security on a regular basis if cricket does return to Pakistan eventually.

TheJediBrah

Couple of my friends went to watch they say the layers of security you have to get trough is ridiculous they are planning to give away their ticket for the Friday game. I know security has to be top notch to get things back but there is no way PCB can afford this level of security on a regular basis if cricket does return to Pakistan eventually.
We just have to accept that's the price of having cricket in Pakistan for now I guess

Daemon

Collingwood the oldest player to play a T20I?

Was he also the oldest player to hit a T20 hundred when he did it a month ago?