Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Sir Donald Bradman

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!

Sir Donald Bradman

Over the years I have participated in discussions on this forum,and a few others, I have been repeatedly asked questions about "The Don". So, before the mind and body goes completely I believe it could be time to share my thoughts.
    To understand the enigma that is Bradman is somewhat difficult to youngsters today. I will relate the story of when I last saw him play. It was 1954. Six years after he officially retired. The game was the Lindsay Hassett Testimonial Game played at The Exhibition Oval in Brisbane. ( A Testimonial Game was played so retiring players could get some money to retire on). The ground was packed to capacity and the team Bradman was playing for was batting first. At first drop in he came to a standing ovation the likes of which I have never seen before or since.
    He was a bit "scratchy" to say the least and only made 18. By the end of the day his team had been dismissed and the other team were 9 for something so the anticipation of the next days crowd was of seeing Bradman bat again. Packed out again on the Sunday. Sure enough out came '' the man" and he proceeded to give a batting master class. "The Don" still had what it takes. He never made a 100 in that innings being dismissed for 81(Think about it) As he left the field the crowd all started singing "Our Don Bradman". Very moving. It wasn't until the next day that one of the journalists reporting pointed out the fact his match aggregate was 99. Coincidence?? I don't know.

Bradman's career at Test level was an injection of "LIFE" into the Aussie pschye. Between him and the mighty race horse, Phar Lap, the average aussie battling through the worst depressions of all time had some heroes to take their minds off the worst of things. He was worshipped like no other sportsman before. We only had the wireless and the weekly Movietone news to " be in the action".Yes, we had newspapers but they didn't create the same excitement. It wasn't until Allan McGilvray started his "live" Test broadcasts and we would either gather around the wireless or as kids we would listen on our crystal sets(Google it) under the blankets when we were supposed to be asleep.

After WW2, he became our symbol of peace. I noted on here a film clip of the 1946 Test at The Gabba. I was there and saw him score his 187 and the aussies win the Test. I am somewhere in that crowd on the hill. By reputation, he was a hard man, a good skipper and would prove to be a very capable administrator. He was held in awe wherever he went in this country and definitely respected in others. He was a man of his time. We needed a hero and one came along. The most common question asked during a Test match was "How many did Bradman make"; not the team just him.

He was capable of playing all shots in the book and inventing some as well. He was the first to take a rising ball on the Off and put it on the square leg boundary. You can talk about your Sachins,Bothams,Richards, Dev etc etc but there will only ever be ONE Sir Donald Bradman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xDQ-D7DIc

^^^^^ listen to lyrics...They say it all
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Here is another track showing some great film clips of the mans batting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeG8hqQw1U8
    Daemon and weldone like this.

Even watching those videos you could tell how cleanly he was striking the ball. Incredible wrists.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Really lucky to have someone like you on the forum JBMAC

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    That pull shot from off stump while wearing a couple of rubber bands on his hands is so impressive
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Every ABC postal address ends in 9994
    JBMAC likes this.

The more I think about it the more I reckon Bradman's superiority was mental, not technical.

Nobody else has scored the volume of runs he has, I think it's telling that while his run and century tally has been obliterated by batsmen who have played loads more Tests, he's still well clear in the number of double hundreds he's scored.
    zorax and mr_mister like this.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    I've watched as much video footage of Bradman as I can, and one thing I have noticed is the swing speed he has between being completely still as the bowler bowls the ball and executing his shot. It looks soooo quick. His timing looks absolutely impeccable.

I know the golf stump/water tank story has been done to death, but there is something in the way he plays the ball that is quite unique, IMO, it is a very clean, short, sharp and precise movement, and that speed probably comes from all that muscle movement training as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Red Hill is the best philosopher the great on the forum.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Lots of great batsmen seem to have very unusual and yet precise training methods. I remember the story of Lara keeping bottles all around to indicate fielders and trying to get the ball between them as a kid. Its so interesting to think about.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    The more I think about it the more I reckon Bradman's superiority was mental, not technical.
    Yeah I think most would agree

International Regular the big bambino's Avatar
    I forget whom, but one writer said the thing he noticed is Bradman's strokes were all swung not pressed. That tends to confirm the observation he saw the ball "early". When you are surprised by a delivery you tend to parry at it and swing at the ones you see well. Makes sense. And Bradman swung at deliveries others would block or evade.
    JBMAC likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    I've watched as much video footage of Bradman as I can, and one thing I have noticed is the swing speed he has between being completely still as the bowler bowls the ball and executing his shot. It looks soooo quick. His timing looks absolutely impeccable.

I know the golf stump/water tank story has been done to death, but there is something in the way he plays the ball that is quite unique, IMO, it is a very clean, short, sharp and precise movement, and that speed probably comes from all that muscle movement training as a kid.
    Have you tried viewing them at 18fps? Agree with how precise his movements seem to be. Looks like he picked up the ball so early.

The 2nd video JBMAC has posted has so much great footage btw.

International Regular the big bambino's Avatar
    I've heard one bloke mention Bradman adjusted his grip on the bat according to the length of the ball. I'd never heard that before or since and the bloke who said it couldn't remember where he read about it. I'm skeptical, but if he did it would be quite a trick and could explain how Gilbert managed to knock the bat out of his hands in that famous over in Brisbane by catching him before completing his adjustment.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Over the years I have participated in discussions on this forum,and a few others, I have been repeatedly asked questions about "The Don". So, before the mind and body goes completely I believe it could be time to share my thoughts.
    To understand the enigma that is Bradman is somewhat difficult to youngsters today. I will relate the story of when I last saw him play. It was 1954. Six years after he officially retired. The game was the Lindsay Hassett Testimonial Game played at The Exhibition Oval in Brisbane. ( A Testimonial Game was played so retiring players could get some money to retire on). The ground was packed to capacity and the team Bradman was playing for was batting first. At first drop in he came to a standing ovation the likes of which I have never seen before or since.
    He was a bit "scratchy" to say the least and only made 18. By the end of the day his team had been dismissed and the other team were 9 for something so the anticipation of the next days crowd was of seeing Bradman bat again. Packed out again on the Sunday. Sure enough out came '' the man" and he proceeded to give a batting master class. "The Don" still had what it takes. He never made a 100 in that innings being dismissed for 81(Think about it) As he left the field the crowd all started singing "Our Don Bradman". Very moving. It wasn't until the next day that one of the journalists reporting pointed out the fact his match aggregate was 99. Coincidence?? I don't know.

Bradman's career at Test level was an injection of "LIFE" into the Aussie pschye. Between him and the mighty race horse, Phar Lap, the average aussie battling through the worst depressions of all time had some heroes to take their minds off the worst of things. He was worshipped like no other sportsman before. We only had the wireless and the weekly Movietone news to " be in the action".Yes, we had newspapers but they didn't create the same excitement. It wasn't until Allan McGilvray started his "live" Test broadcasts and we would either gather around the wireless or as kids we would listen on our crystal sets(Google it) under the blankets when we were supposed to be asleep.

After WW2, he became our symbol of peace. I noted on here a film clip of the 1946 Test at The Gabba. I was there and saw him score his 187 and the aussies win the Test. I am somewhere in that crowd on the hill. By reputation, he was a hard man, a good skipper and would prove to be a very capable administrator. He was held in awe wherever he went in this country and definitely respected in others. He was a man of his time. We needed a hero and one came along. The most common question asked during a Test match was "How many did Bradman make"; not the team just him.

He was capable of playing all shots in the book and inventing some as well. He was the first to take a rising ball on the Off and put it on the square leg boundary. You can talk about your Sachins,Bothams,Richards, Dev etc etc but there will only ever be ONE Sir Donald Bradman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-xDQ-D7DIc

^^^^^ listen to lyrics...They say it all
    Thanks for sharing - IMO the greatest sportsperson of all time, although such comparisons are pointless.

PS Phar Lap was from TImaru. One of the many greats to come out of Timaru along with Bob Fitzsimmons, Richard Pearse and Jack Lovelock.

State Vice-Captain SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing the video bro

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information