• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the best captain ever, another contest. Nominations thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One final one of these. I'm thinking 32 participants. 2 nominations to qualify. 5 nominations per user

oh, and it will be completey randomised. no seeding

Also I don't know if we should make it tests and limited overs or just tests. give your thoughts people

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll start off with 5 obvious ones

Frank Worrell
Imran Khan
Mark Taylor
Clive Lloyd
Douglas Jardine

mr_mister

2nd Arjuna Ranatunga

nominate

Hansie Cronje
Steve Waugh
Peter May
Warwick Armstrong

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BTW, mr2, think you need to run seperate ones for the different formats of the game. They pose different challenges to captains.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Hansie should be disqualified as he failed as a leader... as much as he was a good captain on the field.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its always been a hard one for me. And I tend to look at it one way or the other depending on what mood I am in. So I am ok to go with the consensus here.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
CBF reading who's in/not in, so I'll just nominate my faves...

Ian Chappell
Mark Taylor
Don Bradman
Imran Khan
Clive Lloyd
Allan Border

Xtra vote for Michael Clarke, who I think was an absolute tactical genius, but an absolute **** leader of men.

For mine captaincy is a combination of on field tactical nous, plus being able to lead a team of different personalities effectively. All my initial noms reflect that, some stronger in one or the other, but both at least very proficient in both.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe Frank Worrell ​hasn't been nominated yet, so I'll do it now.

Edit: saw Morgie had nominated him, so I'll second him and nominate Bill Woodfull

Last edited:

mr_mister

regarding Hansie, feel free to voice your displeasure by voting against him to send him packing in round 1

He was still a great captain for the first 95% of his career and deserves a place here imo

also, people really need to learn to forgive and forget. the man is dead after all