• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Overseas Player Thread

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Sorry about another one of these threads but if you were given a choice out of any two players in the world right now who would you pick for your two overseas players, for me

Brian Charles Lara
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar

a massive zebra

International Captain
Armadillo said:
Sorry about another one of these threads but if you were given a choice out of any two players in the world right now who would you pick for your two overseas players, for me

Brian Charles Lara
Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar
It depends on who your team are. If they are already strong in batting you might choose Muralitharan and Shoaib. If they are stronger in bowling you could try Dravid and Lara etc. See my point? For Yorkshire I would choose Dravid and Kallis.

Yorkshire XI

M.Vaughan
M.Wood
R.Dravid
J.Kallis
M.Lumb
A.McGrath
C.White
R.Blakey (wk)
C.Silverwood
M.Hoggard
S.Kirby

krkode

State Captain
Gaijin-san said:
So why do it? Now all you've done is try to turn it into another bloody Lara/Tendulkar thread.
Just tell the guy which two players you'd pick for your county team and be done with it. Ideally, there shouldn't be any discussion here at all.
After all, it's a matter of opinion when it comes to this.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
It depends on who your team are. If they are already strong in batting you might choose Muralitharan and Shoaib. If they are stronger in bowling you could try Dravid and Lara etc. See my point? For Yorkshire I would choose Dravid and Kallis.

Yorkshire XI

M.Vaughan
M.Wood
R.Dravid
J.Kallis
M.Lumb
A.McGrath
C.White
R.Blakey (wk)
C.Silverwood
M.Hoggard
S.Kirby
Well, maybe, except that Vaughan is not really a Yorkshire player any more, and it's doubtful whether Hoggard will play very much either.

Kallis's performances in England are among his weaker ones, usually ascribed to some uncertainty against a moving ball - which only emphasises that he might well be a fairly poor choice for a team playing its home games at Headingley. Darren Lehmann has been such a fantastic success at Yorkshire that it would be madness to replace him with Kallis.

But I'd entirely endorse Dravid, especially after the ghastly disappointment that Yuseless Singh turned out to be.

Cheers,

Mike

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
orangepitch said:
Why is that not surprising ?

ponting was named as the leading cricketer in the world, great number 3 batsman and top fielder, Warne is the best spinner in the world, and can handle the bat abit, good 1st slip as well.... only other one would be Dravid, but Pontings a better OD player...

Loony BoB

International Captain
Hmm... I'd go with Dravid and either Warne or Bond, depending on how well Bond fares in England. If he's up to speed and his average stays as low as it is, I'll choose Bond. If he's losing his touch after his injury, I'll take Warne.

Even though I hate the bastard. ;)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I'd personally go for Ponting and Murli.

I dunno what the fixation with Lara is at the moment...his form had being dreadfull for the first 3 tests and he even looked out of touch for the 4th one (yes his 400 was magnificent none the less) but he'll struggle in england if he bats like he has this winter.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SpaceMonkey said:
I'd personally go for Ponting and Murli.

I dunno what the fixation with Lara is at the moment...his form had being dreadfull for the first 3 tests and he even looked out of touch for the 4th one (yes his 400 was magnificent none the less) but he'll struggle in england if he bats like he has this winter.
Er, Brian Lara had 3 bad Tests. Before that he had the second most runs in the world after Ponting and Ponting got to face Bangladesh and the West Indies, while Lara faced Australia and South Africa. It's not as if Lara has done nothing lately aside from the 400.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Please don't start up another 'versus' argument...

They're equal. Leave it at that.
How many times do we have to go through this? Why do you not just accept reality? Murali has been in a completely different league to all other spinners this century. Fact. He has taken 286 wickets at 19 in 40 tests this century, Warne 166 at 24 in 30 despite having greater support which should lead to a better average. All Murali's career stats are better too, he has done better this century than Warne did at his peak (1993-97), and he has done quite well against India while Warne has been a joke against them. Murali has also done better against 6 of the 7 teams both bowlers have played against. Warne has a better record against Pakistan because they fielded teenagers against him. Murali has a better strike rate despite Warne often coming on with all the best players out, and Murali being played more defensively because he is the only real threat in the side.

The only thing that could be said in Warne's favour is he has won more matches. That is debatable and even if he has, he has been given the opportunity to because of the quality of his team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
How many times do we have to go through this? Why do you not just accept reality?
You are clearly mistaken here. I never got involved in the Murali/Warne argument aside from stating pros and cons for each of them. I presented stats without really establishing an opinion. In fact, I probably leaned more toward Murali in those posts. My above post
They're equal. Leave it at that.
was an attempt to stop you from doing what you went on to do anyway. This argument has already consumed enough threads. Please either leave it alone or dig up a thread which is already tainted by it.