• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Bangladesh 2017

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And if they pack the legside, just take a page from Aaron Finch's playbook and try to cut the ball through point every ball.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
On the forecast are thunderstorms on all five days of the 1st test match...might not have full 5 days play.
Not the best of months to play cricket. Very unpredictable weather. The rain eased out a bit in last two days but we are still left with three days and I am not optimistic at all that we will get full five days

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That's the Dravid training technique isn't it.
Yeah; it's sound enough advice when you still play the ball late, under your eyes, and with soft hands. But look at Maxwell vs Agar in the third video down here. The ball at 0:06 isn't a 'beauty', hell, it's not even Taijul's stock ball -- Maxwell presses forward hard, gets his foot nowhere near the pitch of the ball, leaves a massive gap between bat and pad because #UseYourBat, jams his hands well out in front of his eyeline, and nicks it basically off the shoulder to first slip.

Like, it's the worst possible tactic. You can use your feet to get to the pitch and smother the spin. You can rock back and cut it. You could sit back and wait for it (admittedly at the risk of it going on with the arm). But a massive stride down the wicket, throwing yourself off balance and getting nothing anywhere near the original line of it (let alone after it turned) is downright awful shot selection.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Current odds for the first test are

Bangladesh 6.2
Draw 4.33
Australia 1.62

Draw seems worth it if the weather is as bad as has been said. I expect the odds on Bangladesh will come in significantly if they win a toss.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Bangladesh are favourites. What I'm disappointed about is the scheduling of this test series. This is not the first time Bangladesh have hosted a Cricket match in a rainy season. Sums up the mentality of Bangladesh Cricket as a whole if you ask me.

Bijed

International Regular
The Australians have been training sans-front pad, apparently in order to make sure they're using their bats (such that they don't get trapped LBW by Mehedi).

I for one look forward to everyone playing with hard hands well in front of their pads, and nicking off to regulation deliveries from Shakib and Taijul all series.
Imagine if they were doing this and Watson was still in the team...

Also, Agar doing a decent impression of Lyon, it appears

Attachments

Last edited:

Burgey

Not the best of months to play cricket. Very unpredictable weather. The rain eased out a bit in last two days but we are still left with three days and I am not optimistic at all that we will get full five days
Should have played it in England in June.

Burgey

What chance these pitches being really under prepared due to the weather? Would be entertaining if they it were so

TheJediBrah

What chance these pitches being really under prepared due to the weather? Would be entertaining if they it were so
If they were absolute greentops it might actually help the Banglas significantly. There's nothing that shortens the gap between quality and non-quality fast bowling like a wicket that's seaming all over the place. All you need to do is get it in the right areas and hope for luck getting you movement/edges.

Tbh if I was Bangladesh I'd almost rather go that option than a dry turner (in a hypothetical world where controlling the pitches is easy)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, you're forgetting that they're probably better players of spin. Dry pitches definitely the way to go.

Daemon

If they were absolute greentops it might actually help the Banglas significantly. There's nothing that shortens the gap between quality and non-quality fast bowling like a wicket that's seaming all over the place. All you need to do is get it in the right areas and hope for luck getting you movement/edges.

Tbh if I was Bangladesh I'd almost rather go that option than a dry turner (in a hypothetical world where controlling the pitches is easy)
Last time they played on something resembling a greentop Binny picked up 6/8