• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Bangladesh 2017

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mahmulldah is a suprising omission too is it not?

i still am confident shabbir and soumya will prove themselves one day. i enjoy watching them both a lot when they're firing

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
tbf Mominul hasn't hit a Test hundred since 2014 and averaged about 23 across 5 Tests in 2016 and 2017.

Still a silly decision; you'd back him to come good against Australia over Imrul Kayes almost every time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf Mominul hasn't hit a Test hundred since 2014 and averaged about 23 across 5 Tests in 2016 and 2017.

Still a silly decision; you'd back him to come good against Australia over Imrul Kayes almost every time.
An average over a sample of 5 tests tells us nothing though. Not as though he's done nothing those 5 tests as well, he had a couple of good 50s vs NZ and Eng. If every team went around dropping their 2nd/3rd best batsman for averaging less than thirty over 5 tests, it'd be chaos.

mr_mister

George Headley's approx 5 post war tests(spread out over 6 years) cost him many points to his average

none to his reputation though. mominul is bangas' george headley so far(as in the first to ever have a fighting chance of averaging over 50) they should have been more patient

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I agree -- he should definitely still be selected. The way people were speaking, though, was as if it was still 2014 when he was averaging 60 and making big tons.

TheJediBrah

An average over a sample of 5 tests tells us nothing though. Not as though he's done nothing those 5 tests as well, he had a couple of good 50s vs NZ and Eng. If every team went around dropping their 2nd/3rd best batsman for averaging less than thirty over 5 tests, it'd be chaos.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you on your main point but 5 tests is plenty of time to see a trend. Especially for a team like Bangladesh who only play a few Tests a year.

Players get dropped after less bad Tests than that all the time.

mr_mister

none were as seemingly as high in the selection pecking order than mominul though. you'd say before his last 5 tests he was one of 4 shoe-in selections for the XI

Challis

U19 12th Man
Whilst I agree it's wrong for Mominul to be left out whilst Kayes gets in, although I don't think it's quite as ridiculous as it sounds given that Kayes seems a better player than he used to be.

Anyone know what both their recent FC form has been like? I guess if Kayes has been doing alright and Mominul not so well, it's justifiable? Obviously not if this isn't the case though.

I mean, when we brought back 26 year old Gary Ballance with 4 centuries and an average in the high 40s last year, people were quick to voice their opinion that it was a bad move and they were proved right. I know it's a bit of a different context, but I guess what I'm trying to say is even though Mominul is statistically above all the other options right now (and tbf he is genuinely better, I'm not trying to suggest his stats are misleading or anything), his form did dip and if he hasn't started making runs again then not selecting him isn't exactly a crime imo.

Of course, if he is making runs then it's total rubbish for him not to have made the squad and if him and Imrul are doing similarly at FC level right now (whatever that level is) (then selecting Imrul is still probably the wrong move)
Looking at the stats, there is a case for Kayes over Mominul.
Mominul's batting average since his debut is 46.88 (in 40 innings). Kayes' average in the same period is 45.85 (22 innings), so there's not much difference between them; they have the 2nd and 3rd highest averages in that period (only Shakib average's more).

However in Mominul's last 10 Tests (Starting with the Test against Pakistan in April 2015), Mominul's average decreases to 28.82. In comparison, in the same period Kayes has averaged 42.71 (in 9 Tests). Therefore Kayes has performed better in more recent Tests.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision to exclude Mominul from the Squad. They could have kept him in the squad and helped him improve his technique against fast bowling. He's never been one of Hathurusingha's favourites (such as Soumya and Sabbir). Even when Mominul was performing well, Hathurusingha brought up Mominul's apparent weakness against pace, but let's be honest which Bangladesh batsman isn't weak against fast pace bowling?

The dropping of Mahmudullah is more than justified, he is averaging 28.70 (in 34 innings), since Mominul's debut, which is the lowest batting average of all the established Bangladesh batsmen:

Capture.PNG

Burgey

Mushfiqur Rahim (c), Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Imrul Kayes, Shakib Al Hasan, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Sabbir Rahman, Nasir Hossain, Liton Das, Mosaddek Hossain, Taskin Ahmed, Shafiul Islam, Mustafizur Rahman

Nasir :toot:

Mominul :furious:
That omission is certainly a big shock.

TheJediBrah

You cant make a judgement of any batsman over 5 sporadic tests over 2 years. That is just not how it works.
By that logic no one in the team should be dropped. If you get picked you automatically keep your spot for 2+ years even if you're no good? Makes no sense

Daemon

If you dropped someone who has credit in the bank like that, Kohli would've been out after the England tour and when Australia toured.

...which is a really pleasant thought tbf, maybe the selectors are on to something

TheJediBrah

If you dropped someone who has credit in the bank like that, Kohli would've been out after the England tour and when Australia toured.

...which is a really pleasant thought tbf, maybe the selectors are on to something
As I said, I'm speaking theoretically, not specifically referring to this instance