• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies Tour of the UK 2017

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey remember when Daniel Bell-Drummond was a thing?
Real shame, but he always seems to go two-stepd forward, three back.

Look it's knee-jerk and pathetic, but I won't hate it when they call Hales up to bat at 5 for England, in the end he's had a decent few years in first-class, not so much this one as he's hardly played, wasn't totally out of his debt when he played Tests (like some), and **** it who else is there?

There was talk last time he should bat middle-order, so give him a go in the never-ending carousel of awful batsmen.

mr_mister

yeah, Hales string of unconverted fifties is looking pretty damn good in retrospect. Definitely a better prospect than Jennings and Malan

Spark

Global Moderator
How come the Aussie v Bangladesh thread got a sticky and not this one?

I believe west indies matches start before Aussies.
For some reason I didn't see it. I guess my eyes were looking only for the "official" and skimmed over the rest.

Howe_zat

Audio File

Look it's knee-jerk and pathetic, but I won't hate it when they call Hales up to bat at 5 for England, in the end he's had a decent few years in first-class, not so much this one as he's hardly played, wasn't totally out of his debt when he played Tests (like some), and **** it who else is there?

There was talk last time he should bat middle-order, so give him a go in the never-ending carousel of awful batsmen.
I'm certainly warming to it, the one area where England look to have strong batting (and batting depth) is the ODI side. I'd rather look at that team for batsmen then continuing to scrape county cricket for blokes averaging in the mid 30s with a few runs this season.

grecian

I'm certainly warming to it, the one area where England look to have strong batting (and batting depth) is the ODI side. I'd rather look at that team for batsmen then continuing to scrape county cricket for blokes averaging in the mid 30s with a few runs this season.
Yeah, since my post at 2pm, I've probably changed stoneman out for Hameed, and Hales in for Wells. Lucky I don't make decisions.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i have no issues with.....

cook
hameed
westley
root
hales
stokes
barstow
the worlds premium non chucking spinning all rounder
trj/woakes
broad
anderson

Spark

Global Moderator

At a basic level he simply looks much, much better at batting—like, at the physical task of hitting a cricket ball with a stick of wood—than all his competitors (that have already played Tests, that is. Maybe Hameed is the exception to that), and with the exception of Ballance it's not like the rest of them look like they have amazing temperaments (ofc, even with Ballance, as other batsmen in world cricket have shown, the ability to correct technical flaws when they're exposed at Test level is a fairly important part of "temperament") so I really don't see the point of not picking him other than dumb antiquated ideas about what Test players "should" look like.

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if there's a chance they'll bring Ballance back at 3 (if fit) and move Westley to open.

grecian

At a basic level he simply looks much, much better at batting—like, at the physical task of hitting a cricket ball with a stick of wood—than all his competitors (that have already played Tests, that is. Maybe Hameed is the exception to that), and with the exception of Ballance it's not like the rest of them look like they have amazing temperaments (ofc, even with Ballance, as other batsmen in world cricket have shown, the ability to correct technical flaws when they're exposed at Test level is a fairly important part of "temperament") so I really don't see the point of not picking him other than dumb antiquated ideas about what Test players "should" look like.
I certainly couldn't give a monkeys about that, but after advocating him, I think people are forgetting that he really was quite poor against Pakistan, which is not about any pristine ideals, but that he didn't look good enough. In the end he seems to lose that ability of actually hitting the ball and became a stodgy mess.

but, as said before we haven't much other choice and middle-order would look to be a more natural fit. Also he'll never be in better form.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i have no issues with.....

cook
hameed
westley
root
hales
stokes
barstow
the worlds premium non chucking spinning all rounder
trj/woakes
broad
anderson
Would say that is what they will go with. TRJ next week and give Woakes more time to get match sharp.

grecian

Would say that is what they will go with. TRJ next week and give Woakes more time to get match sharp.
Yes, I suppose there really is no point rushing Woakes back. If they want to rest Broad or Anderson, there's always Jake Ball too, who they obviously rate.

91Jmay

International Coach
They shouldn't be resting anyone in First test of series. Would bite them on the arse massively, we have like 6/7 good players.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure how I feel about resting players against the windies

Should check in with shivfan and see what he thinks

Niall

International Coach
They shouldn't be resting anyone in First test of series. Would bite them on the arse massively, we have like 6/7 good players.
No harm when 2-0 to think about resting Broad or Anderson, but realistically they shouldn't be to stretched whatsoever against the West Indies. No need to rush back anyone either as the team picked for last few tests should handle business easily.

Last edited: